Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > News from the Site Admin > GoL's 10K party - special thanks

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
GoL's 10K party - special thanks
The 10K party (see the pictures) was amazing.

Big special thanks to:

You!
More than 1000 GoLers joined the party, making it just magic...Thanks for your trust.

The 'pie in the face for charity' volunteers
Kiriel, Busstop, Sydbrown, Lele, and GoingUpNow77 (Stef_Granny chickened our at the last minute!) who took it on the face, and all for charity. You guys were terrific (and sweet...)

The friendly GoL Greeters
Syd Brown, CB, YoMeCo, Quijote, Lentil, and Iolly.

ebookers
Who donate, for every guest who arrived at the party wearing a bathing suit, another CHF 20 to charity.

The guests who wore a bathing suit to the party
You guys really played the game, and helped raise more charity funds and more heat: Wayne, SydBrown, Janlelviajero, Simi, Valeria, Marcelino, ChicChoc, Ben, Tinkie, Sherri, Minda, Luluhsieh, Gudrun, Jilou33, C_leb, Becty, Limqer, Smiluana, Lawrence, Doudou, Elke1982, Becksool, Birgit, Nfarsad, Mike, Sandara, Simsim, Joelle88, Jonat, Kimjmaczniak, Ericmartel,M_Guyetto, G_Warner, Pimpllo, Tsatsa, Debbie, YoMeCo

Thanks again, and see you online and offline!

The GoL Gang

The text you are quoting:
The 10K party (see the pictures) was amazing.

Big special thanks to:

You!
More than 1000 GoLers joined the party, making it just magic...Thanks for your trust.

The 'pie in the face for charity' volunteers
Kiriel, Busstop, Sydbrown, Lele, and GoingUpNow77 (Stef_Granny chickened our at the last minute!) who took it on the face, and all for charity. You guys were terrific (and sweet...)

The friendly GoL Greeters
Syd Brown, CB, YoMeCo, Quijote, Lentil, and Iolly.

ebookers
Who donate, for every guest who arrived at the party wearing a bathing suit, another CHF 20 to charity.

The guests who wore a bathing suit to the party
You guys really played the game, and helped raise more charity funds and more heat: Wayne, SydBrown, Janlelviajero, Simi, Valeria, Marcelino, ChicChoc, Ben, Tinkie, Sherri, Minda, Luluhsieh, Gudrun, Jilou33, C_leb, Becty, Limqer, Smiluana, Lawrence, Doudou, Elke1982, Becksool, Birgit, Nfarsad, Mike, Sandara, Simsim, Joelle88, Jonat, Kimjmaczniak, Ericmartel,M_Guyetto, G_Warner, Pimpllo, Tsatsa, Debbie, YoMeCo

Thanks again, and see you online and offline!

The GoL Gang

Nir OfekJun 19, 2007 @ 12:34
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

30 Replies | 2707 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: GoL's 10K party - special thanks
Post 1
For this party ! :o)
For this party ! :o)
silverwolf, Jun 19, 2007 @ 12:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
and thank YOU for organizing such a party!

I had a great time, at least untill I began to smell like a cheese factory because of the cream smeared all over my body... Anyway, it was worth it (not only for the way some wonderful souls cleaned me up)!

Have a nice and sunny day!

Syd.
and thank YOU for organizing such a party!

I had a great time, at least untill I began to smell like a cheese factory because of the cream smeared all over my body... Anyway, it was worth it (not only for the way some wonderful souls cleaned me up)!

Have a nice and sunny day!

Syd.
Syd_Brown, Jun 19, 2007 @ 13:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
tee hee... sorry Tinkie & SydBrown, couldn't help myself....
tee hee... sorry Tinkie & SydBrown, couldn't help myself....
addaxnat, Jun 19, 2007 @ 18:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
When is the next 'Mega-GoL-PartyOnathon' ???

Put your thinking caps on everyone - we must be able to find an excuse somehow! :-) J.
When is the next 'Mega-GoL-PartyOnathon' ???

Put your thinking caps on everyone - we must be able to find an excuse somehow! :-) J.
JulianT, Jun 19, 2007 @ 18:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
Especially the size of inflatable flying turtles! ;-P (nt)
Especially the size of inflatable flying turtles! ;-P (nt)
Syd_Brown, Jun 19, 2007 @ 19:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
wow... Syd_Brown working overtime, mentioned in all 3 categories!!! My contribution to the Pie Contest will be to send you some great photos... but will do so when i'm back in town next wk.
oh, wait, I brought along a non-GOL, so additional contribution!
Tinkie.. I agree, I definitely don't recall seeing Jonat in swimsuite!!! ;o)

so.. was there so much contributions that you're still counting??

(curious minds wanting to know)

wow... Syd_Brown working overtime, mentioned in all 3 categories!!! My contribution to the Pie Contest will be to send you some great photos... but will do so when i'm back in town next wk.
oh, wait, I brought along a non-GOL, so additional contribution!
Tinkie.. I agree, I definitely don't recall seeing Jonat in swimsuite!!! ;o)

so.. was there so much contributions that you're still counting??

(curious minds wanting to know)

YouMeCo, Jun 19, 2007 @ 21:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
I just arrived late, but you know me, don't you?

(actually I was even hungry. I wouldn't have minded teh cake!) ;)
I just arrived late, but you know me, don't you?

(actually I was even hungry. I wouldn't have minded teh cake!) ;)
Stef__Granny, Jun 19, 2007 @ 22:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
.... TURTLES at the party??!!! Oh - my - GOOOOOOOD!!!! Now I'm SURE I missed something! I have an inflatable guitar :o) Would have willingly played a song with it at the party for everyone. I heard turtles like inflatable guitar music *smirk* ;o)
.... TURTLES at the party??!!! Oh - my - GOOOOOOOD!!!! Now I'm SURE I missed something! I have an inflatable guitar :o) Would have willingly played a song with it at the party for everyone. I heard turtles like inflatable guitar music *smirk* ;o)
Roberta, Jun 20, 2007 @ 11:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9
If you managed to oragnise this calibre of party... could we not have a float for GOL at the LAKE PARADE please? :o)

If you do, you should put in and ad for people to get body painted with the GOL letters and slogans! LOL! Very likely, I would volunteer ;o)

If there are any GOL nads or even artists from Open Mic night, they could play on a ministage on board?

I'm sure you have 100's of people who would be willing to decorate the float too.

Just an idea :o)
If you managed to oragnise this calibre of party... could we not have a float for GOL at the LAKE PARADE please? :o)

If you do, you should put in and ad for people to get body painted with the GOL letters and slogans! LOL! Very likely, I would volunteer ;o)

If there are any GOL nads or even artists from Open Mic night, they could play on a ministage on board?

I'm sure you have 100's of people who would be willing to decorate the float too.

Just an idea :o)
Roberta, Jun 20, 2007 @ 12:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

SiteAdmin Oded, Jun 20, 2007 @ 12:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11
Hi Nir, please see the pictures of the UN beach party. You saw me playing Frisbee after swimming and asked me where are all those muscle from, remember? Can you please count me? If you do, i will tell you where are they from...
Hi Nir, please see the pictures of the UN beach party. You saw me playing Frisbee after swimming and asked me where are all those muscle from, remember? Can you please count me? If you do, i will tell you where are they from...
wayne, Jun 20, 2007 @ 23:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12
where are those muscles from and how can I get some for myself?
where are those muscles from and how can I get some for myself?

Nir Ofek, Jun 21, 2007 @ 00:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13
Tinkie, I do not go to silhouette everyday! I am not a gym cat. And I do drink quite a lot during weekend and am a happy social drinker.

Nir, thank you for putting me back to the honorary list I deserve.

Since you asked and I had promised to tell you if you put me back to the swimsuit donation list, here are my personal humble and subjective opinions about your and tinkie's inquiry.

I do some exercises everyday. Normally yoga one day and jogging another day, tennis once a week, weekend hiking or others. It has been like this for years.

I do not really do much weight though. For me, it is rather boring to just pumping iron, lifting bars… I get bored in seconds.

And I am not obsessed and actually against all these body building promotion stuff. Behind all those bright and beautiful fashion beauty and an affluent industry, the truth is millions of teens are suffered from anorexia and bulimia, due to all those fake fashion commercials, it is a shame and just not right.

You asked where those muscles are from but building muscle is never my goal. I was a gymnast with some basic foundation due to training at young age but that was really long time ago.

The reason I am doing sports in a daily basis is because I enjoy it very much, in deed, I need it and I am also addicted to it.

I am addicted to the feeling after a tough jog. It is really a biological addition to Endorphin which produced feeling of euphoria as well as calmness. I think all the regular joggers or other sports lovers know what I am talking about. It is also the only way I can deal with a demanding work. I am hyper and sometimes restless and have had hard time to be focused since I was a kid. I did ok in school but teachers always punished me by not able to sit still in the classroom (our teachers did hit kids badly long ago, and the teaching was quite static, but now beating kid in school is forbidden. It is really a good progress).

Then I found jogging and other sports calm me down, to be able to willing be locked in the classroom. I have been a committed jogger for years.

Simple tips

If building muscle is your goal, you should actually do cardiovascular (aerobic) sports rather than weight training, at least in the initial stage….

It is cardiovascular sports that reduce body fat so those existing muscles can stand out more and not hidden below body fat. Indeed, all human being have same amount of muscle cells. Contrary to a general belief, the number of muscle fibres cannot be increased via exercise, they just get bigger after training.

I do not think I am muscular but I do have very low body fat due to engaging in a very regular and good amount of a cardiovascular sport.

My exercise level increases alone with external workload. Moving to Geneva in the first few moths created a good amount of stress due to new job, could not find a place to live, dateline of publication and grant applications, I’ve jogged like crazy and have lost 4 kg since I arrive. Not in a bad way since I do feel very healthy but due to over-jogging:). I am literally lighter than I was 16. It is not normal since my body weight has been still since 18. My recent change is to reduce jogging and increase frequency of my yoga practices, maybe eat more chocolate and french toast. (Can anyone help here? to get my normal weight back)

Anyway, feel free to eat whatever you want. Diet is not really helpful to most people but stuff yourself with a good amount of vegetables and some water first.

Do a cardiovascular sport against your own median record...

A lot of people go to gym very frequent but the effect is not satisfying!

Why?

Although I studied physical education as minor and was a qualified trainer and gymnastics teacher, the following opinions are my personal habits of doing exercise which obviously does not apply to most people…

You figure out your baseline capacity/level against a cardiovascular sport such as fast working, swimming, biking, or those cardiovascular machines in the gym in terms of distance verse time. (Jogging is not recommended if your BMI is too high, means if you are overweight a lot, jogging maybe too much for your knees)

For instance, my baseline for jogging is 6.5 km/30 minutes (median level). I jogged against this capacity level every time. I need to make quite a good effort to finish 6.5K in 30mins. When I feel good in any particular day, I try to challenge 7.5k/30 minutes which is the best I can do (maximum level, feeling like dying after finishing it) ….There are times I do not feel good, I low down to 5.5k/30 minutes. For instance, yesterday was really hot, 30 C; I only did 5.5K/30 minutes.

You need to know your current capacity and start from there, then against your current level each time determinedly, and always try to compete with, and even beat that median level(the level you feel pain in finishing it but not too tough). Download a sport calender from the internet, wirte down and record a your sport daily in the initial stage....It is a good way to make yourself commiteed to a goal.

If you are not a regular cardiovascular exerciser, you would be surprised by how much progress you can make in comparison to your entry level.

Enjoy sweating… it is one of the best things in life.. And you will be a happier person

P.S. What is a cardiovascular/aerobic sport?

Heart rates are a good measure of exercise intensity. In general, the maximize heart rate is 220 minus the person's age in years. When you engage a cardiovascular sport, your heart beat should be around 60% plus minus maybe 10% of your maximize heart beat.

Since people do not necessarily have a heart-rate monitor, a common idea is to get your shirt soaking wet after your section …really soaking wet…That would be a good indicator of having a good amount of calories burn.

Tinkie, I worked as a part-time peroanl trainer in NYC when studied there. I had some clients who still write me about their fitness conditions. Some said I'm their inspirations, flattered and happy to hear that. Be happy to do work out with you...but you can not just disappear since last time we met at Silhouette...
Tinkie, I do not go to silhouette everyday! I am not a gym cat. And I do drink quite a lot during weekend and am a happy social drinker.

Nir, thank you for putting me back to the honorary list I deserve.

Since you asked and I had promised to tell you if you put me back to the swimsuit donation list, here are my personal humble and subjective opinions about your and tinkie's inquiry.

I do some exercises everyday. Normally yoga one day and jogging another day, tennis once a week, weekend hiking or others. It has been like this for years.

I do not really do much weight though. For me, it is rather boring to just pumping iron, lifting bars… I get bored in seconds.

And I am not obsessed and actually against all these body building promotion stuff. Behind all those bright and beautiful fashion beauty and an affluent industry, the truth is millions of teens are suffered from anorexia and bulimia, due to all those fake fashion commercials, it is a shame and just not right.

You asked where those muscles are from but building muscle is never my goal. I was a gymnast with some basic foundation due to training at young age but that was really long time ago.

The reason I am doing sports in a daily basis is because I enjoy it very much, in deed, I need it and I am also addicted to it.

I am addicted to the feeling after a tough jog. It is really a biological addition to Endorphin which produced feeling of euphoria as well as calmness. I think all the regular joggers or other sports lovers know what I am talking about. It is also the only way I can deal with a demanding work. I am hyper and sometimes restless and have had hard time to be focused since I was a kid. I did ok in school but teachers always punished me by not able to sit still in the classroom (our teachers did hit kids badly long ago, and the teaching was quite static, but now beating kid in school is forbidden. It is really a good progress).

Then I found jogging and other sports calm me down, to be able to willing be locked in the classroom. I have been a committed jogger for years.

Simple tips

If building muscle is your goal, you should actually do cardiovascular (aerobic) sports rather than weight training, at least in the initial stage….

It is cardiovascular sports that reduce body fat so those existing muscles can stand out more and not hidden below body fat. Indeed, all human being have same amount of muscle cells. Contrary to a general belief, the number of muscle fibres cannot be increased via exercise, they just get bigger after training.

I do not think I am muscular but I do have very low body fat due to engaging in a very regular and good amount of a cardiovascular sport.

My exercise level increases alone with external workload. Moving to Geneva in the first few moths created a good amount of stress due to new job, could not find a place to live, dateline of publication and grant applications, I’ve jogged like crazy and have lost 4 kg since I arrive. Not in a bad way since I do feel very healthy but due to over-jogging:). I am literally lighter than I was 16. It is not normal since my body weight has been still since 18. My recent change is to reduce jogging and increase frequency of my yoga practices, maybe eat more chocolate and french toast. (Can anyone help here? to get my normal weight back)

Anyway, feel free to eat whatever you want. Diet is not really helpful to most people but stuff yourself with a good amount of vegetables and some water first.

Do a cardiovascular sport against your own median record...

A lot of people go to gym very frequent but the effect is not satisfying!

Why?

Although I studied physical education as minor and was a qualified trainer and gymnastics teacher, the following opinions are my personal habits of doing exercise which obviously does not apply to most people…

You figure out your baseline capacity/level against a cardiovascular sport such as fast working, swimming, biking, or those cardiovascular machines in the gym in terms of distance verse time. (Jogging is not recommended if your BMI is too high, means if you are overweight a lot, jogging maybe too much for your knees)

For instance, my baseline for jogging is 6.5 km/30 minutes (median level). I jogged against this capacity level every time. I need to make quite a good effort to finish 6.5K in 30mins. When I feel good in any particular day, I try to challenge 7.5k/30 minutes which is the best I can do (maximum level, feeling like dying after finishing it) ….There are times I do not feel good, I low down to 5.5k/30 minutes. For instance, yesterday was really hot, 30 C; I only did 5.5K/30 minutes.

You need to know your current capacity and start from there, then against your current level each time determinedly, and always try to compete with, and even beat that median level(the level you feel pain in finishing it but not too tough). Download a sport calender from the internet, wirte down and record a your sport daily in the initial stage....It is a good way to make yourself commiteed to a goal.

If you are not a regular cardiovascular exerciser, you would be surprised by how much progress you can make in comparison to your entry level.

Enjoy sweating… it is one of the best things in life.. And you will be a happier person

P.S. What is a cardiovascular/aerobic sport?

Heart rates are a good measure of exercise intensity. In general, the maximize heart rate is 220 minus the person's age in years. When you engage a cardiovascular sport, your heart beat should be around 60% plus minus maybe 10% of your maximize heart beat.

Since people do not necessarily have a heart-rate monitor, a common idea is to get your shirt soaking wet after your section …really soaking wet…That would be a good indicator of having a good amount of calories burn.

Tinkie, I worked as a part-time peroanl trainer in NYC when studied there. I had some clients who still write me about their fitness conditions. Some said I'm their inspirations, flattered and happy to hear that. Be happy to do work out with you...but you can not just disappear since last time we met at Silhouette...
wayne, Jun 21, 2007 @ 10:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14
was a pleasure welcoming guests
was a pleasure welcoming guests
CeeBee, Jun 21, 2007 @ 15:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15
wow! Nir, whatchya gonna do with all that info, now?!
wow! Nir, whatchya gonna do with all that info, now?!
SimSim, Jun 22, 2007 @ 02:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16
He did help me clean up the whipped cream from my pie in the face! ;-)
He did help me clean up the whipped cream from my pie in the face! ;-)
Kiriel, Jun 22, 2007 @ 11:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17
I would happily go on a GOL float, and could probably have my arm twisted to sing something (especially if I have the lovely Roberta beside me).

Kiriel
I would happily go on a GOL float, and could probably have my arm twisted to sing something (especially if I have the lovely Roberta beside me).

Kiriel
Kiriel, Jun 22, 2007 @ 11:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18
with his tounge, as caught on the video!
with his tounge, as caught on the video!
Nir Ofek, Jun 23, 2007 @ 20:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19
It costs a good few thousand frances to get a good float going at the Fete de Geneve. We don't have the money, and if we did - frankly - we'd rather invest it in improving the site itself.

If we had a sponsor, it's a different story. But we don't...
It costs a good few thousand frances to get a good float going at the Fete de Geneve. We don't have the money, and if we did - frankly - we'd rather invest it in improving the site itself.

If we had a sponsor, it's a different story. But we don't...
Nir Ofek, Jun 23, 2007 @ 20:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20
Am still reading it...(-: (nt)
Am still reading it...(-: (nt)
Nir Ofek, Jun 23, 2007 @ 20:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21
Some people inspire me and I can continue to have sense in this life and believe that I can accomplish something one day. It happens during the parties like that. That's why I think that such parties are magic.

My appreciation to all the people who contributed in any way that this particular party happened.
Some people inspire me and I can continue to have sense in this life and believe that I can accomplish something one day. It happens during the parties like that. That's why I think that such parties are magic.

My appreciation to all the people who contributed in any way that this particular party happened.
careful, Jun 24, 2007 @ 23:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22
Thanks for the great party... I had a blast and I am thrilled so much money was raised for such a good cause. I'm looking forward to the next one!

~Debbie :)
Thanks for the great party... I had a blast and I am thrilled so much money was raised for such a good cause. I'm looking forward to the next one!

~Debbie :)
Debbie, Jun 25, 2007 @ 16:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
30 Replies | 2707 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form