Login or Sign Up

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
GoL's Future
All - if you take the time to read this thread, then please take another 2 minutes to post your comment on it...we'd love to hear what you think.

------------------------

Many members asked us where we plan to take GoL. So here’s our current thinking on where GoL is going, and how we’ll finance it. We’d love to hear your feedback via this forum or through email.

WHERE IS GOL GOING?
We plan to keep developing the GoL community and web site, so it becomes the most trusted community for friendly people to meet & help other friendly people. Some of the improvements we are working on and hope to implement in the future:
• Improved Member Activities & Forums, & a faster overall site
• Tools for members to create & manage their own smaller clubs / groups
• Venue review / rating section
• Community generated ‘members reputation system’
• Better community led ‘spam flagging’ function

HOW WE’LL FINANCE GOL?
To date, we relied on occasional GoL Parties (and on our pockets) to offset part of GoL’s costs. However, to keep developing & investing in GoL, we need to generate more revenues. We’re thinking of doing it this way:
• We’ll keep the membership free (cos it feels right for a community based on friendliness to be free).
• We will:
o Identify key services that GoL members are interested in (gyms, airline tickets, language schools, MBA programs, etc).
o Negotiate preferred conditions for GoL members with selected companies who offer such services.
o Offer these preferred conditions to GoL members. In return, the companies who provide these services will help us finance GoL improvements.

GOL IS STILL Gee-Oh-Elle
We have no intention of changing GoL’s spirit. GoL will always be based on friendly members, community trust, & members’ good will. Importantly:
• We’ll never censor members’ feedback/criticism about the companies whose services we may promote.
• We’ll never disguise special offers as being ‘member’s recommendations’.
• We’ll never share your information with any 3rd party.

That’s it. Again, we’d love to hear what you think of this, via this forum or via email.
Thanks a lot and see you online & offline,

The GoL Gang
The text you are quoting:
All - if you take the time to read this thread, then please take another 2 minutes to post your comment on it...we'd love to hear what you think.

------------------------

Many members asked us where we plan to take GoL. So here’s our current thinking on where GoL is going, and how we’ll finance it. We’d love to hear your feedback via this forum or through email.

WHERE IS GOL GOING?
We plan to keep developing the GoL community and web site, so it becomes the most trusted community for friendly people to meet & help other friendly people. Some of the improvements we are working on and hope to implement in the future:
• Improved Member Activities & Forums, & a faster overall site
• Tools for members to create & manage their own smaller clubs / groups
• Venue review / rating section
• Community generated ‘members reputation system’
• Better community led ‘spam flagging’ function

HOW WE’LL FINANCE GOL?
To date, we relied on occasional GoL Parties (and on our pockets) to offset part of GoL’s costs. However, to keep developing & investing in GoL, we need to generate more revenues. We’re thinking of doing it this way:
• We’ll keep the membership free (cos it feels right for a community based on friendliness to be free).
• We will:
o Identify key services that GoL members are interested in (gyms, airline tickets, language schools, MBA programs, etc).
o Negotiate preferred conditions for GoL members with selected companies who offer such services.
o Offer these preferred conditions to GoL members. In return, the companies who provide these services will help us finance GoL improvements.

GOL IS STILL Gee-Oh-Elle
We have no intention of changing GoL’s spirit. GoL will always be based on friendly members, community trust, & members’ good will. Importantly:
• We’ll never censor members’ feedback/criticism about the companies whose services we may promote.
• We’ll never disguise special offers as being ‘member’s recommendations’.
• We’ll never share your information with any 3rd party.

That’s it. Again, we’d love to hear what you think of this, via this forum or via email.
Thanks a lot and see you online & offline,

The GoL Gang

SiteAdmin OdedJun 7, 2006 @ 13:54
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

14 Replies | 2227 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: GoL's Future
Post 1
I think this is dead-on. You could also consider setting up a pay-pal account that happy users (and, really, do you have any other kind?) could donate to on a vountary basis. This way, there is no barrier to people joining in, but a way for those of us who are part of the community to make a choice to support it, and I think there is some value in that. Ownership breeds responsibility.
I think this is dead-on. You could also consider setting up a pay-pal account that happy users (and, really, do you have any other kind?) could donate to on a vountary basis. This way, there is no barrier to people joining in, but a way for those of us who are part of the community to make a choice to support it, and I think there is some value in that. Ownership breeds responsibility.
drummer_boy, Jun 7, 2006 @ 14:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
Everything's fine be me. Looking forward to see the changes online... god save Gee-oh-elle !

And the Paypal donation account sounds good to me too.
Everything's fine be me. Looking forward to see the changes online... god save Gee-oh-elle !

And the Paypal donation account sounds good to me too.
Hobbes, Jun 7, 2006 @ 14:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
It's great that you've written this.
1) The paypal suggestion is a good one - people do donate when they're committed, especially if someone offers to run a mini-fundraising reminder campaign once a year.
2) I think the real revenue source is likely to be membership benefits. And the free membership makes a lot of sense. But there is a danger (I had this experience as a member of a journalism group that had freebies) that people will join only for the benefits. I think you have to build in some minimal level of participation in activities, but make it dead easy so you don't have more admin. work!
3) I'm the editor of a very new Lake Geneva region news & information web site, www.genevalunch.com - it's a community service site designed to promote a stronger sense of community and I think we can do our bit to publicize GOL. I'm starting to look for community reporters to write about a variety of things (I'll do a separate thread on that), but maybe someone who likes to write once or twice a month can write about the GOL community. We might be able to help you reduce some costs by sharing services, without you losing web traffic that you need for revenue.
4) Sponsored events. You're talking about sponsors for the site itself, but maybe sponsored charity/GOL events could be run regularly. GOL people sign up as volunteers for a fundraising event, with 75% going to the selected charity and 25% to GOL's fun events fund. I know there are some charity events already, but I'm not sure if you make any GOL money from them. As long as you're clear about where the money goes, people will support it and volunteer events can be a lot of fun, great way to meet people.
It's great that you've written this.
1) The paypal suggestion is a good one - people do donate when they're committed, especially if someone offers to run a mini-fundraising reminder campaign once a year.
2) I think the real revenue source is likely to be membership benefits. And the free membership makes a lot of sense. But there is a danger (I had this experience as a member of a journalism group that had freebies) that people will join only for the benefits. I think you have to build in some minimal level of participation in activities, but make it dead easy so you don't have more admin. work!
3) I'm the editor of a very new Lake Geneva region news & information web site, www.genevalunch.com - it's a community service site designed to promote a stronger sense of community and I think we can do our bit to publicize GOL. I'm starting to look for community reporters to write about a variety of things (I'll do a separate thread on that), but maybe someone who likes to write once or twice a month can write about the GOL community. We might be able to help you reduce some costs by sharing services, without you losing web traffic that you need for revenue.
4) Sponsored events. You're talking about sponsors for the site itself, but maybe sponsored charity/GOL events could be run regularly. GOL people sign up as volunteers for a fundraising event, with 75% going to the selected charity and 25% to GOL's fun events fund. I know there are some charity events already, but I'm not sure if you make any GOL money from them. As long as you're clear about where the money goes, people will support it and volunteer events can be a lot of fun, great way to meet people.
Ellen, Jun 7, 2006 @ 16:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
...is my piece of advice of the day.
...is my piece of advice of the day.
Hobbes, Jun 7, 2006 @ 19:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
Just thank you for making our social life easier in Geneve
Just thank you for making our social life easier in Geneve
Luis Aranda, Jun 7, 2006 @ 22:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
Hobbes, you're probably right. I can think of examples where it works, but you have to be very good about showing people the accounts, making sure they are accurate, etc. - all of which implies more administrative work. You might lose what you gain, moral issues aside.

I think a couple of member fundraising campaigns, once or twice a year, could add enough to the coffers to pay for site management. I'm thinking of the public radio station models in the U.S. One could be online, pure moneyraising, for a couple days. Another could be a very fun GOL fundraising event. Both require a few people to organize them - the catch :-).
Hobbes, you're probably right. I can think of examples where it works, but you have to be very good about showing people the accounts, making sure they are accurate, etc. - all of which implies more administrative work. You might lose what you gain, moral issues aside.

I think a couple of member fundraising campaigns, once or twice a year, could add enough to the coffers to pay for site management. I'm thinking of the public radio station models in the U.S. One could be online, pure moneyraising, for a couple days. Another could be a very fun GOL fundraising event. Both require a few people to organize them - the catch :-).
Ellen, Jun 8, 2006 @ 12:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
Hello! It is just fantastic that a few folks could gather, setup GoL with this friendly mindset, come up to effectively help each other and help many others in the Geneva area. The current GoL community is probably the greatest reward. Along with the fact that it would certainely survive any single founder. Just taking this chance to say a big BRAVO to GoL gang and numerous GoL members for what is already in place.

Beyond that I like to contribute with ideas regarding the financing issues in such non greed driven context...
So if GoL is:
- a non-profit organization, it could be financed with donations
- a well documented online community growing experiment, it could be financed by franchising once it is ready to be duplicated elsewhere
- an online network of clubs that gets different people to actually meet and clubs to grow, it could get a number of ressources from the clubs
- a friendly community grown out of friendliness and expert in friendliness, it could sell expert reports about friendliness in an international (globalisation) context or about the key elements of success for expat integration, etc.

Is this the right place for wild ideas ?
Cheers,
B.

Hello! It is just fantastic that a few folks could gather, setup GoL with this friendly mindset, come up to effectively help each other and help many others in the Geneva area. The current GoL community is probably the greatest reward. Along with the fact that it would certainely survive any single founder. Just taking this chance to say a big BRAVO to GoL gang and numerous GoL members for what is already in place.

Beyond that I like to contribute with ideas regarding the financing issues in such non greed driven context...
So if GoL is:
- a non-profit organization, it could be financed with donations
- a well documented online community growing experiment, it could be financed by franchising once it is ready to be duplicated elsewhere
- an online network of clubs that gets different people to actually meet and clubs to grow, it could get a number of ressources from the clubs
- a friendly community grown out of friendliness and expert in friendliness, it could sell expert reports about friendliness in an international (globalisation) context or about the key elements of success for expat integration, etc.

Is this the right place for wild ideas ?
Cheers,
B.

brooster, Jun 8, 2006 @ 13:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
I think everyone agrees that GoL is great and, for many people, it has really improved their lives! But to continue to operate, it needs to make money.

If we are going to talk finance, the first question is how much is needed to keep GoL alive. Well I’m guessing here but I would say one full-time person, and of course the computer infrastructure. Correct me if I’m wrong but that’s minimum 100K per annum.

I like the idea of voluntary contributions. If all 4000 members paid CHF 25 p.a. then we are there! But I would guess around 400 would pay (I’d be happy to be proved wrong), unless there was a real incentive. It might be worth having a poll here to see how many GoLers would be willing to donate.

Fund raising is very difficult. In my experience you need to put in a lot of effort, sometimes to make only a small amount of money. In addition it’s not sustainable, every year you have to start again (unlike the idea of an annual donation) N.B. I would not favour mixing fund raising for charity and fund raising for GoL!

There is advertising, but I just don’t know how much people would pay to have an advert on the homepage.

There is “service provider” sponsoring, as Nir outlined above, with companies giving preferential rates to GoLers and supporting GoL operating costs.

There is branded merchandise but it’s difficult to sell stuff (I still have some Sindy T-shirts if anyone is interested ;-)

There are mega parties. But here we run into “competition” with Sindy and I don’t see why Sindy should have to pay for GoL. In fact, if one of the long-term aims is to “franchise” GoL, then it has to make a “stand-alone”profit.

These are the ramblings of an engineer, and I’m afraid I’ve posed more questions than answers, but I hope they might encourage some GoLers working in internet based advertising, marketing and small start-ups to come up with some original ideas.

Cheers, Rob
I think everyone agrees that GoL is great and, for many people, it has really improved their lives! But to continue to operate, it needs to make money.

If we are going to talk finance, the first question is how much is needed to keep GoL alive. Well I’m guessing here but I would say one full-time person, and of course the computer infrastructure. Correct me if I’m wrong but that’s minimum 100K per annum.

I like the idea of voluntary contributions. If all 4000 members paid CHF 25 p.a. then we are there! But I would guess around 400 would pay (I’d be happy to be proved wrong), unless there was a real incentive. It might be worth having a poll here to see how many GoLers would be willing to donate.

Fund raising is very difficult. In my experience you need to put in a lot of effort, sometimes to make only a small amount of money. In addition it’s not sustainable, every year you have to start again (unlike the idea of an annual donation) N.B. I would not favour mixing fund raising for charity and fund raising for GoL!

There is advertising, but I just don’t know how much people would pay to have an advert on the homepage.

There is “service provider” sponsoring, as Nir outlined above, with companies giving preferential rates to GoLers and supporting GoL operating costs.

There is branded merchandise but it’s difficult to sell stuff (I still have some Sindy T-shirts if anyone is interested ;-)

There are mega parties. But here we run into “competition” with Sindy and I don’t see why Sindy should have to pay for GoL. In fact, if one of the long-term aims is to “franchise” GoL, then it has to make a “stand-alone”profit.

These are the ramblings of an engineer, and I’m afraid I’ve posed more questions than answers, but I hope they might encourage some GoLers working in internet based advertising, marketing and small start-ups to come up with some original ideas.

Cheers, Rob

Rob_M, Jun 9, 2006 @ 19:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9
Hello,

I'm new on GOL (5 weeks) and I'm not very experienced regarding our community. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see one thing on your strategic thinking: encourage the contributing members (= the members who organise activities) and increase the number of activities. I think the site will become more & more successfull if more and more activities are proposed (without activities, the GOL website is dead...)

After already 5 weeks, I often see the same people (and I admire them !) organising several activities and a lot (like me for the moment;-)) "only" participating. It is fine because it works but maybe GOL should think to reward the contributing members (But I don't speak about financial reward because money is not in the spirit of the site): to create a "contributing members club" to put in evidence people investing time for the community, a special dinner at the end of the year to thank them, I don't know but I would more think about a kind of "moral" thank you. I hope this idea could contribute to your thinking...
Hello,

I'm new on GOL (5 weeks) and I'm not very experienced regarding our community. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see one thing on your strategic thinking: encourage the contributing members (= the members who organise activities) and increase the number of activities. I think the site will become more & more successfull if more and more activities are proposed (without activities, the GOL website is dead...)

After already 5 weeks, I often see the same people (and I admire them !) organising several activities and a lot (like me for the moment;-)) "only" participating. It is fine because it works but maybe GOL should think to reward the contributing members (But I don't speak about financial reward because money is not in the spirit of the site): to create a "contributing members club" to put in evidence people investing time for the community, a special dinner at the end of the year to thank them, I don't know but I would more think about a kind of "moral" thank you. I hope this idea could contribute to your thinking...
Vincent_71, Jun 10, 2006 @ 01:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10
Looking at previous thread in this forum
Thread: "Sindy and GoL : What is same / different"
So people seemed worried that GoL was a P&G initiative... This interestingly suggests that GoL is credible as a corporate initiative.

What if some GoL members would like to lead such an initiative (to a smaller scale than GoL) in his/her company or in other companies as consultant. Would it be fair to get some help from GoLers and pay say royalties/consulting?

Cheers,
B.
Looking at previous thread in this forum
Thread: "Sindy and GoL : What is same / different"
So people seemed worried that GoL was a P&G initiative... This interestingly suggests that GoL is credible as a corporate initiative.

What if some GoL members would like to lead such an initiative (to a smaller scale than GoL) in his/her company or in other companies as consultant. Would it be fair to get some help from GoLers and pay say royalties/consulting?

Cheers,
B.
brooster, Jun 11, 2006 @ 00:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11
I forgot to mention franchising as a way of making money. But whenever I thought of franchising, I always thought of another city; Zurichonline, Munichonline etc. In these cases the funding problem remains the same.

But what you suggest is that companies could use it as an in-house online newletter.. nice idea! They would have to pay licensing/royality/consulting fees.
I forgot to mention franchising as a way of making money. But whenever I thought of franchising, I always thought of another city; Zurichonline, Munichonline etc. In these cases the funding problem remains the same.

But what you suggest is that companies could use it as an in-house online newletter.. nice idea! They would have to pay licensing/royality/consulting fees.

Rob_M, Jun 12, 2006 @ 14:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12
As I said before, if some people put up lots of events, this is because they get benefits from doing it: meeting new people, taking part in great activities organised just the way they would like them to be organised, having fun and becoming friends with like-minded people and receiving nice "thank you" messages.

Contributing members don't have any official private events - as far as i know ;-) I assumed that most regular activities organisers knew each other, based on the fact that volunteers teams for GOL parties often include the same bunch of poeple, and because alike go together. I wonder if it would be a good idea thou. The pro is to get the opportunity to put a face on some popular nicknames, and have a nice party with have-to-be-friendly core members. The cons are obviously the elitist concept behind it. Who would decide who is active enough ? What if the choice was left to the participants themselves, put online an event called "Dinner for active member activities organisers" or similar ? I'm just thinking as I type, and kind of get excited by the idea I wasn't that much conviced by at first I must say. Sorry for being long and quite of topic :-S

Thanks for this idea anyway !
As I said before, if some people put up lots of events, this is because they get benefits from doing it: meeting new people, taking part in great activities organised just the way they would like them to be organised, having fun and becoming friends with like-minded people and receiving nice "thank you" messages.

Contributing members don't have any official private events - as far as i know ;-) I assumed that most regular activities organisers knew each other, based on the fact that volunteers teams for GOL parties often include the same bunch of poeple, and because alike go together. I wonder if it would be a good idea thou. The pro is to get the opportunity to put a face on some popular nicknames, and have a nice party with have-to-be-friendly core members. The cons are obviously the elitist concept behind it. Who would decide who is active enough ? What if the choice was left to the participants themselves, put online an event called "Dinner for active member activities organisers" or similar ? I'm just thinking as I type, and kind of get excited by the idea I wasn't that much conviced by at first I must say. Sorry for being long and quite of topic :-S

Thanks for this idea anyway !
Hobbes, Jun 14, 2006 @ 13:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13
Some of the "active" members would appreciate to see more "passive" ones getting more involved I guess.

By the way, many people have asked me "how do you do if you want to organise a GOL event ?", as if there were rules, certified event organisers, etc. Shall we say it again:

EVERY MEMBER IS FREE AND MOST WELCOME TO ORGANISE MEMBER ACTIVITIES !

Set an activity (might be any sport, concert, hobby or just a dinner or drink out), a place and a time. Post it under "Member activities", and that's it ! Don't be shy. We all were newbies at first. We're all more or less shy. But GOL's here to meet new poeple, isn't it ? Shoot !

One only tipp: if you're a newby, especially a male one, it might be a wise move do organise your first activity in a public place. Most women I know wouldn't feel like going alone to someone's place nobody knows at first.
Some of the "active" members would appreciate to see more "passive" ones getting more involved I guess.

By the way, many people have asked me "how do you do if you want to organise a GOL event ?", as if there were rules, certified event organisers, etc. Shall we say it again:

EVERY MEMBER IS FREE AND MOST WELCOME TO ORGANISE MEMBER ACTIVITIES !

Set an activity (might be any sport, concert, hobby or just a dinner or drink out), a place and a time. Post it under "Member activities", and that's it ! Don't be shy. We all were newbies at first. We're all more or less shy. But GOL's here to meet new poeple, isn't it ? Shoot !

One only tipp: if you're a newby, especially a male one, it might be a wise move do organise your first activity in a public place. Most women I know wouldn't feel like going alone to someone's place nobody knows at first.
Hobbes, Jun 14, 2006 @ 14:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
14 Replies | 2227 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form