Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > News from the Site Admin > GoL's new name? Survey

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
GoL's new name? Survey
We'll soon expand GoL to Zurich and Lausanne, and are looking for the ideal site name to include all 3 communities.

Thanks for letting us know what you think about some potential names, by taking this super short (3 questions) survey:

Take the short survey
The text you are quoting:
We'll soon expand GoL to Zurich and Lausanne, and are looking for the ideal site name to include all 3 communities.

Thanks for letting us know what you think about some potential names, by taking this super short (3 questions) survey:

Take the short survey
Nir OfekFeb 27, 2007 @ 13:45
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

18 Replies | 2531 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: GoL's new name? Survey
Post 1
How about 'SoL' (SwitzerlandOnLine) as recently mentioned in the 'general' forum, with subsets for GoL, LoL, ZoL etc etc? :-) J.
How about 'SoL' (SwitzerlandOnLine) as recently mentioned in the 'general' forum, with subsets for GoL, LoL, ZoL etc etc? :-) J.
JulianT, Feb 27, 2007 @ 15:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
Thanks J.

SoL was actually mentioned a few times by different people, and we're now bouncing it around.

But there's already 2 potential issues with it:

1. Both sol.com and sol.ch are taken. We can try to buy the domains, but the price is a question mark.

2. It limits us to Swiss. We are have no idea how well the expansion will go, but want to be ready for a best-case-scenario in which there is also demand for expansion beyond CH, and want a name that will make that possible.

In any case, we're asking more people what they think of SoL, and if the answers are very positive, we'll see what we can do.

Thanks again mate.
Thanks J.

SoL was actually mentioned a few times by different people, and we're now bouncing it around.

But there's already 2 potential issues with it:

1. Both sol.com and sol.ch are taken. We can try to buy the domains, but the price is a question mark.

2. It limits us to Swiss. We are have no idea how well the expansion will go, but want to be ready for a best-case-scenario in which there is also demand for expansion beyond CH, and want a name that will make that possible.

In any case, we're asking more people what they think of SoL, and if the answers are very positive, we'll see what we can do.

Thanks again mate.
Nir Ofek, Feb 27, 2007 @ 19:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
www.expat.ch - This name has not already been taken, and I think it sums up pretty well what the site is about without being territorial.

Simon
www.expat.ch - This name has not already been taken, and I think it sums up pretty well what the site is about without being territorial.

Simon
DJ_Symcard, Feb 28, 2007 @ 06:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
I see it already has been registered, the guy brought it 1997, and modified it again in 2005, looks like he hasn't done anything with it, as you can't get to it on the net. He might be willing to sell.
I see it already has been registered, the guy brought it 1997, and modified it again in 2005, looks like he hasn't done anything with it, as you can't get to it on the net. He might be willing to sell.
DJ_Symcard, Feb 28, 2007 @ 07:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
What about swol.ch? Sounds cooler than sol anyway? Or just swissonline.ch?

Regarding point 2, I think most people would prefer a site name that they can relate to, that makes it clear that its members has something in common with you. I'm not that interested right now in meeting people in, say, Vienna anyway, so a too global name does not appeal to me.

If you want to expand in the future, why not just register a new site name for the country you want to expand to? Nothing would prevent the sites from using the same backend if it is designed correctly.
What about swol.ch? Sounds cooler than sol anyway? Or just swissonline.ch?

Regarding point 2, I think most people would prefer a site name that they can relate to, that makes it clear that its members has something in common with you. I'm not that interested right now in meeting people in, say, Vienna anyway, so a too global name does not appeal to me.

If you want to expand in the future, why not just register a new site name for the country you want to expand to? Nothing would prevent the sites from using the same backend if it is designed correctly.
trolltok, Feb 28, 2007 @ 10:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
(Sometimes happens!)

Originally had the idea of 'WoL' (WorldonLine), but it could mean anything + the idea of 'WoLers' could be twisted into 'wallies' (oops!), and so came up with: 'FoL' (FriendsonLine) ...as GoL isn't really just for expats anymore and friendly people helping friendly people is what we are really about (with a bit of fun thrown in too!).

:-) J.
(Sometimes happens!)

Originally had the idea of 'WoL' (WorldonLine), but it could mean anything + the idea of 'WoLers' could be twisted into 'wallies' (oops!), and so came up with: 'FoL' (FriendsonLine) ...as GoL isn't really just for expats anymore and friendly people helping friendly people is what we are really about (with a bit of fun thrown in too!).

:-) J.
JulianT, Feb 28, 2007 @ 10:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
beaten me with the idea of FoL - on the other forum... :-) J.
beaten me with the idea of FoL - on the other forum... :-) J.
JulianT, Feb 28, 2007 @ 10:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
all these names ideas bring a smile to my face.....
do you guys know that "gol" means "stupid" in geneva slang ?? i know that people usually say "geneva on line" or Gee Oh Elle... so that's fine... but now that i see you going towards FoL, which means "crazy" in french, i can't help but laughing out loud, and making my colleagues think i've gone completely bonkers !!
all these names ideas bring a smile to my face.....
do you guys know that "gol" means "stupid" in geneva slang ?? i know that people usually say "geneva on line" or Gee Oh Elle... so that's fine... but now that i see you going towards FoL, which means "crazy" in french, i can't help but laughing out loud, and making my colleagues think i've gone completely bonkers !!
addaxnat, Feb 28, 2007 @ 15:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9
...you came along to some of the stuff I organise, you would see that 'FoL' is just perfect for us! ;-D J.
...you came along to some of the stuff I organise, you would see that 'FoL' is just perfect for us! ;-D J.
JulianT, Feb 28, 2007 @ 20:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10
Perfect for me! :op
Perfect for me! :op
Roberta, Mar 2, 2007 @ 00:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11
How about GOL for Global online? It takes in the global aspect of the future online community while keeping a name that many people have heard about.....

just a though....
How about GOL for Global online? It takes in the global aspect of the future online community while keeping a name that many people have heard about.....

just a though....
LNA__, Mar 2, 2007 @ 15:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12
Just ideas to keep good stuff that already embodies some good spirit.

Variations:
Global Friends online
Go Friends online
GoLs online ;))
Goodies online
Gooz online (this one is a brooster thing)

Well the intent might be to have a more global network... How to find a balance so that the local part (that is very very important for current GoLers that do not seem to enjoy pure virtual relationships) ?

Go Locals
Locals online (this one is a LoL thing)
Go Friends online

well once there is no juice left in the lemon, there is no point to further squeeze the fruit. Who has a banana ?

Cheers,
B.
Just ideas to keep good stuff that already embodies some good spirit.

Variations:
Global Friends online
Go Friends online
GoLs online ;))
Goodies online
Gooz online (this one is a brooster thing)

Well the intent might be to have a more global network... How to find a balance so that the local part (that is very very important for current GoLers that do not seem to enjoy pure virtual relationships) ?

Go Locals
Locals online (this one is a LoL thing)
Go Friends online

well once there is no juice left in the lemon, there is no point to further squeeze the fruit. Who has a banana ?

Cheers,
B.
brooster, Mar 2, 2007 @ 16:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13
I quite like GoL - Global on line, or SWOL / SOL - Switzerland on line...
But find the mention of expat, or 'pat' not only non-inclusive for locals - a crying shame if they didn't feel welcome, but I am not sure I consider myself one of them either. Certainly not in the classic, mercenary, expat-package lifestyle kind of sense of times gone by.
I quite like GoL - Global on line, or SWOL / SOL - Switzerland on line...
But find the mention of expat, or 'pat' not only non-inclusive for locals - a crying shame if they didn't feel welcome, but I am not sure I consider myself one of them either. Certainly not in the classic, mercenary, expat-package lifestyle kind of sense of times gone by.
SimSim, Mar 4, 2007 @ 23:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14
Was (or is), if I'm correct, an internet provider.
BTW, I like the "SoL" name.
Remy
Was (or is), if I'm correct, an internet provider.
BTW, I like the "SoL" name.
Remy
RemyS, Mar 5, 2007 @ 18:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15
... doesn't only means "crazy". It also means gay, in slang ;)
Remy
... doesn't only means "crazy". It also means gay, in slang ;)
Remy
RemyS, Mar 5, 2007 @ 18:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16
You keep the usual On Line OL, live as the website is alive, it sounds a bit like OnLine, olive is an olive ... :-)
Olive is both french and english.
No expat, no pat, no swiss, no geographical information...
And you can even add the green color if you want to keep the G :
www.GreenOLive.com
:-))) (I promise I haven't drink CubaLitro!)
Steph
You keep the usual On Line OL, live as the website is alive, it sounds a bit like OnLine, olive is an olive ... :-)
Olive is both french and english.
No expat, no pat, no swiss, no geographical information...
And you can even add the green color if you want to keep the G :
www.GreenOLive.com
:-))) (I promise I haven't drink CubaLitro!)
Steph
Steph_007, Mar 7, 2007 @ 05:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17
Oh yes, I completely agree to keep GoL and name it Global Online, instead of Geneva Online!!
Oh yes, I completely agree to keep GoL and name it Global Online, instead of Geneva Online!!
Carol A, Mar 11, 2007 @ 18:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
18 Replies | 2531 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form