Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > News from the Site Admin > Inactive Groups and Groups with Unresponding Admins

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Inactive Groups and Groups with Unresponding Admins

There are a few groups here on glocals that are very inactive and I'm sure a lot of us here would like to reinvigorate them somehow.

I've tried contacting the admins of several of these "defunct" groups, to see about adding others as admins (to get them going again), but I rarely get a reply.   

I don't think it's useful for there to be so many unused groups on here.   And really, instead of requesting a group with exactly the same purpose (which would be denied!), it seems smarter to figure out how to get the groups that already exist back up and active.

So, is there a way to do this?  Can we send requests to SiteAdmin to bypass the need for an owner/admin to add an admin and have SiteAdmin do it? 

Or would it be better for glocals.com to periodically delete groups that haven't had an event for 12 months or more?

Others have similar ideas?

-Michelle

The text you are quoting:

There are a few groups here on glocals that are very inactive and I'm sure a lot of us here would like to reinvigorate them somehow.

I've tried contacting the admins of several of these "defunct" groups, to see about adding others as admins (to get them going again), but I rarely get a reply.   

I don't think it's useful for there to be so many unused groups on here.   And really, instead of requesting a group with exactly the same purpose (which would be denied!), it seems smarter to figure out how to get the groups that already exist back up and active.

So, is there a way to do this?  Can we send requests to SiteAdmin to bypass the need for an owner/admin to add an admin and have SiteAdmin do it? 

Or would it be better for glocals.com to periodically delete groups that haven't had an event for 12 months or more?

Others have similar ideas?

-Michelle

Michelle WApr 30, 2013 @ 13:31
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

9 Replies | 2583 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Inactive Groups and Groups with Unresponding Admins
Post 1

You're highlighting an important issue but I would suggest a different solution: if a group has been inactive for 1-2 years the Glocals team can send the organizer a message and then decide to close down the group. That way the list of groups will be smaller and only consist of active groups.

I don't think it's necessary to 'reinvigorate' existing groups; anyone can start a new one and organize activities. And if the inactive groups are removed the new ones will be easier to find.

You're highlighting an important issue but I would suggest a different solution: if a group has been inactive for 1-2 years the Glocals team can send the organizer a message and then decide to close down the group. That way the list of groups will be smaller and only consist of active groups.

I don't think it's necessary to 'reinvigorate' existing groups; anyone can start a new one and organize activities. And if the inactive groups are removed the new ones will be easier to find.

Edward B, Apr 30, 2013 @ 13:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Yeah, but then you lose all the potential group members....

Yeah, but then you lose all the potential group members....

Michelle W, Apr 30, 2013 @ 13:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

I don't think that members of a group that has been inactive for 2 years are valuable to new organizers. 

I don't think that members of a group that has been inactive for 2 years are valuable to new organizers. 

Edward B, Apr 30, 2013 @ 14:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

I agree with Michelle, here. There are way too many defunct groups. Im admin on some of them, and the member response is very low. I cant delete members.. because im not the founder, but trying to keep the groups running. |Some of them have over 700 + members, yet onyl 20 or 30 that actually respond. I personally think its a good idea to delete defunkt groups, simply as a clear out of inactive members. 

Many people move out of switzerland, never to return yet remain in the groups. 

Oded, whats your opinion on this ? 

I agree with Michelle, here. There are way too many defunct groups. Im admin on some of them, and the member response is very low. I cant delete members.. because im not the founder, but trying to keep the groups running. |Some of them have over 700 + members, yet onyl 20 or 30 that actually respond. I personally think its a good idea to delete defunkt groups, simply as a clear out of inactive members. 

Many people move out of switzerland, never to return yet remain in the groups. 

Oded, whats your opinion on this ? 

Karl N, Apr 30, 2013 @ 14:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

I don't see very well the issue with inactive members, even if they are 90% of the group. Excepted for overload on glocals servers due to huge queries in DB.

But regarding inactive group, I would suggest that after one year of inactivity, a script send a message to all the members asking if one of them want to become admin.

- if yes, problem solved

- if no, group get closed after one month.

I "re-activated" the Zurich French Speakers group couple of months ago (inactive since Feb 2011) and most of the events are full and not only with new members but also old who were happy to join again event.

I think it's better to ask members before deleting a group.

I don't see very well the issue with inactive members, even if they are 90% of the group. Excepted for overload on glocals servers due to huge queries in DB.

But regarding inactive group, I would suggest that after one year of inactivity, a script send a message to all the members asking if one of them want to become admin.

- if yes, problem solved

- if no, group get closed after one month.

I "re-activated" the Zurich French Speakers group couple of months ago (inactive since Feb 2011) and most of the events are full and not only with new members but also old who were happy to join again event.

I think it's better to ask members before deleting a group.

Yoan R, Apr 30, 2013 @ 18:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

By the way Michelle, I did exactly what you propose for the French group.

- Mail to the admin but no response during a week

- Mail to glocals Admin explaining the situation and they gave me the admin rights.

By the way Michelle, I did exactly what you propose for the French group.

- Mail to the admin but no response during a week

- Mail to glocals Admin explaining the situation and they gave me the admin rights.

Yoan R, Apr 30, 2013 @ 18:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Guess I'll email Oded then...

Guess I'll email Oded then...

Michelle W, May 4, 2013 @ 10:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Well done, Michelle.

I also spotted many interesting groups which I would have joined but for which no activities had been posted since 1 year or more.

Sometimes the founder and/or the admins have not even connected to Glocals for months.

Springtime is cleaning time! 

Well done, Michelle.

I also spotted many interesting groups which I would have joined but for which no activities had been posted since 1 year or more.

Sometimes the founder and/or the admins have not even connected to Glocals for months.

Springtime is cleaning time! 

Richard B, May 5, 2013 @ 10:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

It seems that there is little control upon set-up. In Basel, we have multiple groups which are basically mirrors of each other (same purpose), and a general situation across the board of inactivity.

I think it would be positive to both:

delete inactive groups (3 month cut-off)

delete inactive members (12 month cut-off)

It seems that there is little control upon set-up. In Basel, we have multiple groups which are basically mirrors of each other (same purpose), and a general situation across the board of inactivity.

I think it would be positive to both:

delete inactive groups (3 month cut-off)

delete inactive members (12 month cut-off)

Isis B, May 27, 2013 @ 16:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
9 Replies | 2583 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form