Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > News from the Site Admin > 'Last login date' on profiles: coming soon

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
'Last login date' on profiles: coming soon
Last week we asked members (scroll 3 threads down to see it) f we should show last login dates on each profile. The feedback was very positive, and we'll make it happen in the next few days.

One thing: we initially planned to show a last login RANGE, and not an exact date (ie, last login: last month). But displaying a range slows down the database for some reason beyond us, so we'll display an exact date for now.

Thanks for all the feedback!
The text you are quoting:
Last week we asked members (scroll 3 threads down to see it) f we should show last login dates on each profile. The feedback was very positive, and we'll make it happen in the next few days.

One thing: we initially planned to show a last login RANGE, and not an exact date (ie, last login: last month). But displaying a range slows down the database for some reason beyond us, so we'll display an exact date for now.

Thanks for all the feedback!
Nir OfekApr 20, 2007 @ 22:52
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

14 Replies | 2179 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: 'Last login date' on profiles: coming soon
Post 1
...It'll also help us track down the extremely non-active members and ultimately boot them out...(!) ...How much time are you planning on giving such people / what's your plan of action for 'Rainy Sunday Profiles'? Cheers! :-) J.
...It'll also help us track down the extremely non-active members and ultimately boot them out...(!) ...How much time are you planning on giving such people / what's your plan of action for 'Rainy Sunday Profiles'? Cheers! :-) J.
JulianT, Apr 21, 2007 @ 02:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
Oops... correction, it's Nir! :-) (nt)
Oops... correction, it's Nir! :-) (nt)
JulianT, Apr 21, 2007 @ 02:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
I'm joking, of course, but why do you want to boot out Rainy Sunday profiles.
Let people use GoL according to their habits!
Anyway, our webbie bros already keep track of the "dead" accounts and clean up the pack here and there!
Good to see the last login date though!
Ciao
Granny
I'm joking, of course, but why do you want to boot out Rainy Sunday profiles.
Let people use GoL according to their habits!
Anyway, our webbie bros already keep track of the "dead" accounts and clean up the pack here and there!
Good to see the last login date though!
Ciao
Granny
Stef__Granny, Apr 21, 2007 @ 10:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
Sounds excellent. Thanks a lot.
Sounds excellent. Thanks a lot.
HalfMoon, Apr 22, 2007 @ 20:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
I am starting to get somewhat annoyed by this.
I understand the need to an active community and i am the one the preach for one.
But 'sunday' rainy log in, or occasionals are as worth as GOL addicts and could become addicts at some point, since this is the feedback forum shouldn't we just stop talking about kick ppl out all the time? It doesn't give a friendly impression, plus is not feedback.

MY 2 cents.
Vale - hoping for more and more ppl starting as rainy sunday profiles and getting more involved so we don't always see the same ppl :)
I am starting to get somewhat annoyed by this.
I understand the need to an active community and i am the one the preach for one.
But 'sunday' rainy log in, or occasionals are as worth as GOL addicts and could become addicts at some point, since this is the feedback forum shouldn't we just stop talking about kick ppl out all the time? It doesn't give a friendly impression, plus is not feedback.

MY 2 cents.
Vale - hoping for more and more ppl starting as rainy sunday profiles and getting more involved so we don't always see the same ppl :)
Hoiling, Apr 23, 2007 @ 15:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
V ...Ok, you're an active person on GoL, activities + 'in your face' on the forums (just like me + a few others! - oops!), but how would you feel if this place were dead?

'Rainy Sunday Profilers' are just a waste of time, space on GoL's server, they don't do anything to improve the community and Wolfie (etc.) also thinks it's good from time to time to do a little 'spring cleaning'...

If 'members' aren't active, GoL's ethos wouldn't function properly and this is obviously not the place for them in the first place, as they are happy with their lot as it is - relax V... ! :-)

...Umm... consider GoL as uni students sharing a place together... and there's 'one' who never does anything around the place, never goes out, never gives you their opinion (on anything!), never lends a hand etc - how do you feel? ...it's a bit of a dark cloud in your mind, eh? ...Think how wonderful it could be if it were the contrary! :-D J.
V ...Ok, you're an active person on GoL, activities + 'in your face' on the forums (just like me + a few others! - oops!), but how would you feel if this place were dead?

'Rainy Sunday Profilers' are just a waste of time, space on GoL's server, they don't do anything to improve the community and Wolfie (etc.) also thinks it's good from time to time to do a little 'spring cleaning'...

If 'members' aren't active, GoL's ethos wouldn't function properly and this is obviously not the place for them in the first place, as they are happy with their lot as it is - relax V... ! :-)

...Umm... consider GoL as uni students sharing a place together... and there's 'one' who never does anything around the place, never goes out, never gives you their opinion (on anything!), never lends a hand etc - how do you feel? ...it's a bit of a dark cloud in your mind, eh? ...Think how wonderful it could be if it were the contrary! :-D J.
JulianT, Apr 23, 2007 @ 20:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
As far as i know the spring cleaning is done for people that created a profile just to go to a party, to get a discount and never used it again, never completed etc etc.

The definition of activite can change a lot based on how much of a life people have. Being active could me check in GOL once a month when it's sunday and i wanna go to the movies. Checking the where/how forum as a source of infos, going to some of the bigger activity and not necessarilty post something about it. I know some people who's profile has been deleted who go to events, have fun etc etc .. but just didn't have time to log in for a while and quite frankly ... online life is not their thing, they came on GOL found some friends, and kept in touch via GOL without posting everything.

Inactive memebers take space, true, but let's not forget that everyone has a different private life style, not everyone wants to write 15 comments per day and some ppl really rather don't write at all.
I took at 4 months detox from GOL without posting and doing anything, checking what was going on rarely .. because i wanted to keep things more real ... does that make me less active?

Not saying we should keep every profile and overload the server,
but quite frankly reading some people posting something about how great will it be if it was only the active people and that we need to kick people out, makes it sound this place more hostile. If i were a newbie cheking out this site I would be worried that if I am not always here, always active and giving up my private life for GOL i wouldn't fit in.
Not saying that this is the case, but that's how it's starting to sound to me.

Maybe i need another GOL detox.
Vale
As far as i know the spring cleaning is done for people that created a profile just to go to a party, to get a discount and never used it again, never completed etc etc.

The definition of activite can change a lot based on how much of a life people have. Being active could me check in GOL once a month when it's sunday and i wanna go to the movies. Checking the where/how forum as a source of infos, going to some of the bigger activity and not necessarilty post something about it. I know some people who's profile has been deleted who go to events, have fun etc etc .. but just didn't have time to log in for a while and quite frankly ... online life is not their thing, they came on GOL found some friends, and kept in touch via GOL without posting everything.

Inactive memebers take space, true, but let's not forget that everyone has a different private life style, not everyone wants to write 15 comments per day and some ppl really rather don't write at all.
I took at 4 months detox from GOL without posting and doing anything, checking what was going on rarely .. because i wanted to keep things more real ... does that make me less active?

Not saying we should keep every profile and overload the server,
but quite frankly reading some people posting something about how great will it be if it was only the active people and that we need to kick people out, makes it sound this place more hostile. If i were a newbie cheking out this site I would be worried that if I am not always here, always active and giving up my private life for GOL i wouldn't fit in.
Not saying that this is the case, but that's how it's starting to sound to me.

Maybe i need another GOL detox.
Vale
Hoiling, Apr 23, 2007 @ 20:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
You quick to reply V! ;-)

I understand the need to 'GoL detox', but kicking people out is only after, say 6 months or so of inactivity (time period yet to be defined)... My original posting (of this sub-thread) was about such people (admittedly unclear!), and doesn't concern newbies / people on holiday / people on 'missions' to the darkest depths of 'back and beyond'...

People connecting onto GoL so as to merely check out the latest event (party) are at least 'in', no need to post anything at all (they've logged in, and so are active... and as far as I gather, reminders are sent to the 'inactive others' before deletion anyway... :-) J.

PS: I know a few 'Sunday profilers' ...as you say, just 'trying to keep it real', cheers! :-)
You quick to reply V! ;-)

I understand the need to 'GoL detox', but kicking people out is only after, say 6 months or so of inactivity (time period yet to be defined)... My original posting (of this sub-thread) was about such people (admittedly unclear!), and doesn't concern newbies / people on holiday / people on 'missions' to the darkest depths of 'back and beyond'...

People connecting onto GoL so as to merely check out the latest event (party) are at least 'in', no need to post anything at all (they've logged in, and so are active... and as far as I gather, reminders are sent to the 'inactive others' before deletion anyway... :-) J.

PS: I know a few 'Sunday profilers' ...as you say, just 'trying to keep it real', cheers! :-)
JulianT, Apr 23, 2007 @ 21:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9
with Holling... don't login that often, but may visit the site several times a day, and since i dont need to login to catch up on all the news, it usually isn't necessary. Surely the site needs both types of members, those in the 'fast lane', and also those in the sidelines.. Changing the site to compulsary login to read the forums and market-place would probably result in a massive increase in logged-in members, if that's what the site is after.
with Holling... don't login that often, but may visit the site several times a day, and since i dont need to login to catch up on all the news, it usually isn't necessary. Surely the site needs both types of members, those in the 'fast lane', and also those in the sidelines.. Changing the site to compulsary login to read the forums and market-place would probably result in a massive increase in logged-in members, if that's what the site is after.
debi, Apr 25, 2007 @ 10:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10
Just curious.. but how could it have anything to do with the database? Granted, I have done no web development, but surely you just read the last login date from the database in either case, and if displaying a "time since last login" just subtract it from the current date..

Well.. a discussion more suitable for the next GiG event maybe. :)
Just curious.. but how could it have anything to do with the database? Granted, I have done no web development, but surely you just read the last login date from the database in either case, and if displaying a "time since last login" just subtract it from the current date..

Well.. a discussion more suitable for the next GiG event maybe. :)
trolltok, Apr 26, 2007 @ 19:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11
I wish i knew the answer mate. I am far from being a technical guy (sadly), so have no clue why it will slow down the database. But that's the answer we got from our programmers...
I wish i knew the answer mate. I am far from being a technical guy (sadly), so have no clue why it will slow down the database. But that's the answer we got from our programmers...

Nir Ofek, Apr 26, 2007 @ 19:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12
Scandal
Scandal
careful, Apr 29, 2007 @ 01:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13
How long for text to be approved?!?!

Thanks so much for the changes, I really appreciate them!
How long for text to be approved?!?!

Thanks so much for the changes, I really appreciate them!
misskate, Apr 29, 2007 @ 22:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
14 Replies | 2179 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form