Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > News from the Site Admin > New idea to block spammers - what think?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
New idea to block spammers - what think?
What do you think of this idea (there's a survey at the bottom of this message, and all comments also welcome).

We wanna make it harder for Spammers to open several GoL accounts, and for blocked members to get back in. To do this, we're seriously thinking of allowing new members to join GoL only once they activate their account via SMS. All mobile numbers will be kept in 100% privacy.

Each GoL profile will need its own mobile number, so a person will need several mobile numbers to open several accounts or to join again after he/she is blocked, which is do-able but harder than nothing.

What think? All comments welcome.
The text you are quoting:
What do you think of this idea (there's a survey at the bottom of this message, and all comments also welcome).

We wanna make it harder for Spammers to open several GoL accounts, and for blocked members to get back in. To do this, we're seriously thinking of allowing new members to join GoL only once they activate their account via SMS. All mobile numbers will be kept in 100% privacy.

Each GoL profile will need its own mobile number, so a person will need several mobile numbers to open several accounts or to join again after he/she is blocked, which is do-able but harder than nothing.

What think? All comments welcome.

Nir OfekApr 7, 2007 @ 10:59
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

39 Replies | 2755 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: New idea to block spammers - what think?
Post 1
perfect
perfect
Molula_M, Apr 7, 2007 @ 15:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
several times actually, and i am still not a fan of it.
if i am pondering the idea to join an online community which i don´t know much about, the idea giving some total strangers my cell number i would rather not join.
several times actually, and i am still not a fan of it.
if i am pondering the idea to join an online community which i don´t know much about, the idea giving some total strangers my cell number i would rather not join.
Mister_Sark, Apr 7, 2007 @ 15:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
If I was a prospective new-member then I would also think twice about looking at an online community which required people to send a text message before getting access. I guess the level of that deterrent would depend on how much the prospective new-member liked the look of the website.

On the other hand, I welcome the efforts being made to maintain the quality of the community. Stuck mainly at home for the last few days meant I could get some proper time on GoL, and I am confident that the majority of new people who came to chat online with me are real people. Think only 2 were fakes and I see both their profiles have gone already which is good news.

Just an idea, but would it help if it was compulsory for all new-members to write something in the "New Member Introduction" Forum before their GoL account is fully opened or approved? Perhaps a minimum limit of 100 or 200 words? I am not saying it will stop spammers, simply that it is an added deterrent.

The other positive aspect is that it helps existing members to welcome or get to know new members. I have tried to welcome newbies on that forum and it is not always easy to post a worthwhile reply if they only write 5 words about themselves. In fact, it might be an idea to ask ALL current GoL members who have made zero postings on the website to at least write their own introduction on that forum. Better late than never and at least it would indicate that they wish to be active members.

Best wishes, Phil.
If I was a prospective new-member then I would also think twice about looking at an online community which required people to send a text message before getting access. I guess the level of that deterrent would depend on how much the prospective new-member liked the look of the website.

On the other hand, I welcome the efforts being made to maintain the quality of the community. Stuck mainly at home for the last few days meant I could get some proper time on GoL, and I am confident that the majority of new people who came to chat online with me are real people. Think only 2 were fakes and I see both their profiles have gone already which is good news.

Just an idea, but would it help if it was compulsory for all new-members to write something in the "New Member Introduction" Forum before their GoL account is fully opened or approved? Perhaps a minimum limit of 100 or 200 words? I am not saying it will stop spammers, simply that it is an added deterrent.

The other positive aspect is that it helps existing members to welcome or get to know new members. I have tried to welcome newbies on that forum and it is not always easy to post a worthwhile reply if they only write 5 words about themselves. In fact, it might be an idea to ask ALL current GoL members who have made zero postings on the website to at least write their own introduction on that forum. Better late than never and at least it would indicate that they wish to be active members.

Best wishes, Phil.
phil, Apr 7, 2007 @ 19:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
1. Limit the ability to send email/private messages for X number of days, unless approved via decided process, maybe something like Phil has mentioned.

2. I know some may dislike this, but block free email providers, it ensures better that you get a legit person, of make a free email provider user a limited account that can not have friends/send messages.

3. the SMS idea is not so great for outsiders that are looking for info when moving to geneva/area, and for international SMS it can be a bit unreliable, and the costs can mount up for you as well.

4. in the long term maybe have a set list of rules for each new member, and approach some members of the community if they want to assist in moving members from "limited access" "free email member" etc to a full member.

Preventing spammers is hard, there will always be a way around it, but making it harder is a good way to deter. One clever way I have seen is simply to have in the signup form a odd question or odd line, give directions on how to complete it in an image or welcome email, until this odd question/dialogue is answered, the account can not even be limited access.
1. Limit the ability to send email/private messages for X number of days, unless approved via decided process, maybe something like Phil has mentioned.

2. I know some may dislike this, but block free email providers, it ensures better that you get a legit person, of make a free email provider user a limited account that can not have friends/send messages.

3. the SMS idea is not so great for outsiders that are looking for info when moving to geneva/area, and for international SMS it can be a bit unreliable, and the costs can mount up for you as well.

4. in the long term maybe have a set list of rules for each new member, and approach some members of the community if they want to assist in moving members from "limited access" "free email member" etc to a full member.

Preventing spammers is hard, there will always be a way around it, but making it harder is a good way to deter. One clever way I have seen is simply to have in the signup form a odd question or odd line, give directions on how to complete it in an image or welcome email, until this odd question/dialogue is answered, the account can not even be limited access.
StephenSQL, Apr 8, 2007 @ 03:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
It's been discussed before and I still believe that I wouldn't have joined GOL if I had had to give my cell number straight ahead (I hate all "fill in this form and join for free" kind of websites anyway).

I still believe that a good way to deal with "safety" would be to flag trustee members. Being it via former trusted members’ sponsorship, sending mobile number, showing life at a GOL event or other. For the time being, I look at people's friends networks. If they've go many common friends with me, I feel safe. I they don't have any, I'm at the same time more friendly (they are most probably poor lonesome newbie) and more careful (wouldn't give them my credit card pin number straight ahead). And, sadly enough, except the stupid spams fast deleted (which don't annoy me that much really) the few bad experiences I've come across with GOLers was with 100% certified, mobile phone number shared, personally and publicly known persons. After all, trust can't be guaranteed by any technical mean and has to be won, gradually, amongst friends, hasn’t it ?
It's been discussed before and I still believe that I wouldn't have joined GOL if I had had to give my cell number straight ahead (I hate all "fill in this form and join for free" kind of websites anyway).

I still believe that a good way to deal with "safety" would be to flag trustee members. Being it via former trusted members’ sponsorship, sending mobile number, showing life at a GOL event or other. For the time being, I look at people's friends networks. If they've go many common friends with me, I feel safe. I they don't have any, I'm at the same time more friendly (they are most probably poor lonesome newbie) and more careful (wouldn't give them my credit card pin number straight ahead). And, sadly enough, except the stupid spams fast deleted (which don't annoy me that much really) the few bad experiences I've come across with GOLers was with 100% certified, mobile phone number shared, personally and publicly known persons. After all, trust can't be guaranteed by any technical mean and has to be won, gradually, amongst friends, hasn’t it ?
Hobbes, Apr 11, 2007 @ 13:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
I think it depends what type of site/community you want to create. Sites/Communities like Facebook and Myspace have a compulsory introduction page, where you need to register anda ll ... but that's because the main objective of those communities is to give the person that registered an easy way to create their home page, or their space. With all their pictures if they want, personal details etc etc, and connect with other ppl on a one to one base (you can litterally choose how many things out of ur home page you want the other person to see).
GOL has a different purpose, everything is public and Can't be restricted (except who can see your friends list - of which i still find hard to understand the utility).
That said .. there are vistrually 9000 ppl in this community that can see all the pictures posted, in wich i could be in, and it;'s not even me posting them - at least on facebook i can choose who can see the pics ...
I never questioned it because that for me is the essence of GOL and a I feel like i am giving my unwritten authorization to ppl to publicly post pictures with me in them everytime i go to an event. But What if this is not everyone's understanding?
What if someone doesn't want their pics visible for everyone?
I know we tend to trust each other, but do we know all the 9000 ppl online?
I tend to beleive the best of ppl, but what if not everyone is a 'good' person .. and they are copying and using those pics for who knows what? Is there a way we can prevent the content to go broadly on the web and be used in forms we can't control? If not, shouldn't we have a better way of checking who's actually in this community and allowed to use the material?
We all have common sense and instinct and we can make our own decision when we meet ppl, but what about the ones we never meet?
Don't want to be NOT friendly, just thinking about 'possibilities' ...

Vale
I think it depends what type of site/community you want to create. Sites/Communities like Facebook and Myspace have a compulsory introduction page, where you need to register anda ll ... but that's because the main objective of those communities is to give the person that registered an easy way to create their home page, or their space. With all their pictures if they want, personal details etc etc, and connect with other ppl on a one to one base (you can litterally choose how many things out of ur home page you want the other person to see).
GOL has a different purpose, everything is public and Can't be restricted (except who can see your friends list - of which i still find hard to understand the utility).
That said .. there are vistrually 9000 ppl in this community that can see all the pictures posted, in wich i could be in, and it;'s not even me posting them - at least on facebook i can choose who can see the pics ...
I never questioned it because that for me is the essence of GOL and a I feel like i am giving my unwritten authorization to ppl to publicly post pictures with me in them everytime i go to an event. But What if this is not everyone's understanding?
What if someone doesn't want their pics visible for everyone?
I know we tend to trust each other, but do we know all the 9000 ppl online?
I tend to beleive the best of ppl, but what if not everyone is a 'good' person .. and they are copying and using those pics for who knows what? Is there a way we can prevent the content to go broadly on the web and be used in forms we can't control? If not, shouldn't we have a better way of checking who's actually in this community and allowed to use the material?
We all have common sense and instinct and we can make our own decision when we meet ppl, but what about the ones we never meet?
Don't want to be NOT friendly, just thinking about 'possibilities' ...

Vale
Hoiling, Apr 11, 2007 @ 15:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
You have 2 phone numbers, but how many email accounts do you have?

Activation by mobile is not a 100% guarantee that each member will have one profile, but it makes it a bit harder to open multiple accounts that email activation.

O
You have 2 phone numbers, but how many email accounts do you have?

Activation by mobile is not a 100% guarantee that each member will have one profile, but it makes it a bit harder to open multiple accounts that email activation.

O
SiteAdmin Oded, Apr 12, 2007 @ 11:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
Doing something to prevent spammers (and saving some of our admin's time!) looks necessary. However, not everyone has a swiss mobile, want to give his number to a website he doesn't know yet, etc...
What I would suggest is a choice for every new members:

-Cell phone sms activation
- 100-200 words introduction, it may be a good idea and enough to prevent spammers (especially if you also forbid free mail providers)
- Having 2 "active" members of GoL confirming he could join.

I doubt anyone can't do at least one of these, and if they don't want to... well, it shows a really, really low interest in joining, you already mentioned removing some non.active profiles, I doubt the people that don't want to do any of this would become the most active ones anyway..

Remy
Doing something to prevent spammers (and saving some of our admin's time!) looks necessary. However, not everyone has a swiss mobile, want to give his number to a website he doesn't know yet, etc...
What I would suggest is a choice for every new members:

-Cell phone sms activation
- 100-200 words introduction, it may be a good idea and enough to prevent spammers (especially if you also forbid free mail providers)
- Having 2 "active" members of GoL confirming he could join.

I doubt anyone can't do at least one of these, and if they don't want to... well, it shows a really, really low interest in joining, you already mentioned removing some non.active profiles, I doubt the people that don't want to do any of this would become the most active ones anyway..

Remy
RemyS, Apr 12, 2007 @ 12:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9
I'm all for anything that will keep spammers off GoL, but I didn't have a cell phone for a while when I moved here, and GoL was a lifesaver during that time. I would hate to think that someone nice would miss out on something that was essential for me just because they don't have a phone yet.
I'm all for anything that will keep spammers off GoL, but I didn't have a cell phone for a while when I moved here, and GoL was a lifesaver during that time. I would hate to think that someone nice would miss out on something that was essential for me just because they don't have a phone yet.
Kat6628, Apr 12, 2007 @ 14:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10
Everybody has access to some sort of phone, but some of us cannot afford mobile phones!!! Just follow the way that Voip Busters keeps out spammers and have an automated GoL voice call up a phone number that new members provide online. Then if the new member picks up the phone, it is confirmed. voila. As for SMS, think about the people who are joining GoL for the first time! They are people JUST moving to Geneva! Meaning they may not have even figured out where to GET a mobile yet, or are still making sure they have enough money to be here. SMS is not the solution.
Everybody has access to some sort of phone, but some of us cannot afford mobile phones!!! Just follow the way that Voip Busters keeps out spammers and have an automated GoL voice call up a phone number that new members provide online. Then if the new member picks up the phone, it is confirmed. voila. As for SMS, think about the people who are joining GoL for the first time! They are people JUST moving to Geneva! Meaning they may not have even figured out where to GET a mobile yet, or are still making sure they have enough money to be here. SMS is not the solution.
hhardt, Apr 12, 2007 @ 15:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11
About 80% of the forums I visit don't allow free email providers, or anything at yahoo due to the insane spam levels and repeat offenders using new addresses each time.
About 80% of the forums I visit don't allow free email providers, or anything at yahoo due to the insane spam levels and repeat offenders using new addresses each time.
StephenSQL, Apr 12, 2007 @ 18:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12
If no phone number... why not being invited by someone (former gmail style).

A connection will be automatically created between the sponsor and the new comer.

Hope this helps,

HalfMoon
If no phone number... why not being invited by someone (former gmail style).

A connection will be automatically created between the sponsor and the new comer.

Hope this helps,

HalfMoon
HalfMoon, Apr 12, 2007 @ 20:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13
I've got a job and a professional email address for sure, but I would never use it for registering on a forum, c'mon !
I've got a job and a professional email address for sure, but I would never use it for registering on a forum, c'mon !
Hobbes, Apr 13, 2007 @ 02:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14
I think that the whole concept of registering via sms is a great idea and a step in the right direction. However, in my opinion the only way of ensuring the active members on GOL is who they say they are and that is to request a scan of photographic id while joining; permit or passport. Anyone could obtain a mobile number but who would be able to fake either of the above?!
I think that the whole concept of registering via sms is a great idea and a step in the right direction. However, in my opinion the only way of ensuring the active members on GOL is who they say they are and that is to request a scan of photographic id while joining; permit or passport. Anyone could obtain a mobile number but who would be able to fake either of the above?!
Rich, Apr 13, 2007 @ 12:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15
Didn't you get an email from your ISP?
Didn't you get an email from your ISP?
StephenSQL, Apr 13, 2007 @ 12:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16
Hummm,

but will GOl promise never to sell our phone numbers to anyone else...?....

How many times have we given our phone numbers and then received spam no-end... may it be directly on our phones or via email...? because they were further sold as leads....

It is a very lucrative business in interactive marketing, and I am not sure about wanting to share this kind of information....

What does anyone else have to say about that?....

Hummm,

but will GOl promise never to sell our phone numbers to anyone else...?....

How many times have we given our phone numbers and then received spam no-end... may it be directly on our phones or via email...? because they were further sold as leads....

It is a very lucrative business in interactive marketing, and I am not sure about wanting to share this kind of information....

What does anyone else have to say about that?....

CrazyJ, Apr 13, 2007 @ 19:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17
It may be common, but if GoL adopts that policy, we'll be discriminating against the people who need GoL the most. These are the people who may not have a job, the trailing spouses, the other au pairs like myself...in other words the people who have few chances to meet people without GoL. I know that spammers are a problem, but some of these ideas are going to completely discourage new members. What about some kind of neighborhood watch? If SiteAdmin is overloaded with spamming problems, then let's pitch in somehow.
It may be common, but if GoL adopts that policy, we'll be discriminating against the people who need GoL the most. These are the people who may not have a job, the trailing spouses, the other au pairs like myself...in other words the people who have few chances to meet people without GoL. I know that spammers are a problem, but some of these ideas are going to completely discourage new members. What about some kind of neighborhood watch? If SiteAdmin is overloaded with spamming problems, then let's pitch in somehow.
Kat6628, Apr 15, 2007 @ 12:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18
once again, not everyone has a mobile phone...
once again, not everyone has a mobile phone...
Minda, Apr 15, 2007 @ 15:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19
...good idea, but could you imagine the logistics involved for not only the newbie, but also poor Oded (SiteAdmin)...! :-) J.
...good idea, but could you imagine the logistics involved for not only the newbie, but also poor Oded (SiteAdmin)...! :-) J.
JulianT, Apr 15, 2007 @ 21:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20
We do already...! :-) J.
We do already...! :-) J.
JulianT, Apr 15, 2007 @ 21:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21
If you have connectivity at work or at home, you can access Gol which is a great site for new arrivals. But with everything else to change, lots of people may not be set up with a mobile for a few weeks and we shouldn't make it even harder for them.
If you have connectivity at work or at home, you can access Gol which is a great site for new arrivals. But with everything else to change, lots of people may not be set up with a mobile for a few weeks and we shouldn't make it even harder for them.
CarriePathy, Apr 16, 2007 @ 01:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22
1) Give members the right to invite. Invited new members will be automatically welcome in. If somebody invites troublemakers or spammers, his/her right to invite can be withdrawn and/or his/her account deleted.

2) Keep the "register without invitation" option accessible. It is needed to catch the newcomers to Geneva; but you will be able to focus on approving only their profiles, not needing to check all the ones coming by invitation.
- Newcomers coming via this door could have the right to post on threads and to IM (chat) since the beginning (both tools are useful for getting to know GoLers, but not for spammers), but
- you may restrict their right to send email to two email (no multiple receiver) per day for the first two weeks... plenty of time to find the spammers without them being able to harm.

Ciao Buddy
1) Give members the right to invite. Invited new members will be automatically welcome in. If somebody invites troublemakers or spammers, his/her right to invite can be withdrawn and/or his/her account deleted.

2) Keep the "register without invitation" option accessible. It is needed to catch the newcomers to Geneva; but you will be able to focus on approving only their profiles, not needing to check all the ones coming by invitation.
- Newcomers coming via this door could have the right to post on threads and to IM (chat) since the beginning (both tools are useful for getting to know GoLers, but not for spammers), but
- you may restrict their right to send email to two email (no multiple receiver) per day for the first two weeks... plenty of time to find the spammers without them being able to harm.

Ciao Buddy
Stef__Granny, Apr 16, 2007 @ 19:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23
...a few months ago...
When signing up, the newbie should say who told them about GoL and if that newbie-person turns into a spammer (in the real sense, not the Sherri sense in the other forum), then the link-person is informed to smarten up their act ...or get kicked off... :-) J.
...a few months ago...
When signing up, the newbie should say who told them about GoL and if that newbie-person turns into a spammer (in the real sense, not the Sherri sense in the other forum), then the link-person is informed to smarten up their act ...or get kicked off... :-) J.
JulianT, Apr 16, 2007 @ 20:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24
that's where my proposal applies :-)
that's where my proposal applies :-)
Stef__Granny, Apr 17, 2007 @ 16:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25
i know its been discussed before when the topic wasnt spammers. but most of the spammers dont have a photo (i think... correct me if im wrong). and it takes a bit of extra time to add one thus perhaps deterring a spammer...?

In my opinion photos on GoL makes it a friendlier place anyway... but i know others might not share that opinion.

i think choice choice is the way forward - do one of a few things (non free email account, sms activation etc)
i know its been discussed before when the topic wasnt spammers. but most of the spammers dont have a photo (i think... correct me if im wrong). and it takes a bit of extra time to add one thus perhaps deterring a spammer...?

In my opinion photos on GoL makes it a friendlier place anyway... but i know others might not share that opinion.

i think choice choice is the way forward - do one of a few things (non free email account, sms activation etc)
joellem88, Apr 17, 2007 @ 22:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 26
...meditating on - need stats from SiteAdmin (if there are any)... but then we go back to opening that can of worms from previous forums ...some people can't due to their political / diplomatic / "I'm a mega rich kid" status etc...

:-) J.
...meditating on - need stats from SiteAdmin (if there are any)... but then we go back to opening that can of worms from previous forums ...some people can't due to their political / diplomatic / "I'm a mega rich kid" status etc...

JulianT, Apr 18, 2007 @ 02:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 27
Maybe some like me just have such an ugly mug that it would scare everyone off.....and we don't want that!
Maybe some like me just have such an ugly mug that it would scare everyone off.....and we don't want that!
StephenSQL, Apr 18, 2007 @ 03:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 28
It would just take them 30 seconds to steal a random picture on the net.
Remy
It would just take them 30 seconds to steal a random picture on the net.
Remy
RemyS, Apr 20, 2007 @ 11:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 29

GoL should continue to welcome those with limited means or who need time to get a mobile phone etc.

Yet, it is equally important to block spammers.

Can the site allow options to register in one of multiple ways

- use mobile phone
- get an invitation from a currently registered GoL member
- meet any registered GoL member in person and get them to validate the membership
- attend a GoL event and get membership registration at the event
- print your profile out and mail it in (this will increase burden on the siteadmin or those who volunteer)
- etc.

Lets be kind and welcoming to anyone out there looking for friends to talk to and smile with, regardless of their circumstances.

GoL should continue to welcome those with limited means or who need time to get a mobile phone etc.

Yet, it is equally important to block spammers.

Can the site allow options to register in one of multiple ways

- use mobile phone
- get an invitation from a currently registered GoL member
- meet any registered GoL member in person and get them to validate the membership
- attend a GoL event and get membership registration at the event
- print your profile out and mail it in (this will increase burden on the siteadmin or those who volunteer)
- etc.

Lets be kind and welcoming to anyone out there looking for friends to talk to and smile with, regardless of their circumstances.

colorado, Apr 20, 2007 @ 23:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 30
- use mobile phone. ...Good idea! :-)

- get an invitation from a currently registered GoL member. ...Great idea! A bit like ASW though, and it cuts out those who just surf the web and sign up before coming to GE etc...

- meet any registered GoL member in person and get them to validate the membership. ...Unrealistic mate... all the big wigs on GoL are real people and have real lives... you should see how much time Oded (SiteAdmin) spends on this site - it's incredible! ...I don't even do 'chat' to any of my friends in my network, could you imagine Oded having to deal with 9000+ per day? JFI, there are about 20 newbies per day! :-o

- attend a GoL event and get membership registration at the event. ...Ok, but how would you have heard about GoL? It's a 'free' community - no fee - who's going to pay for advertising?

- print your profile out and mail it in (this will increase burden on the SiteAdmin or those who volunteer). ...I haven't got a clue as to when my last visit to the post office was - too time consuming - we've all gone 'cyber'... Anyway, checking out the mail would be too time consuming too!

- use mobile phone. ...Good idea! :-)

- get an invitation from a currently registered GoL member. ...Great idea! A bit like ASW though, and it cuts out those who just surf the web and sign up before coming to GE etc...

- meet any registered GoL member in person and get them to validate the membership. ...Unrealistic mate... all the big wigs on GoL are real people and have real lives... you should see how much time Oded (SiteAdmin) spends on this site - it's incredible! ...I don't even do 'chat' to any of my friends in my network, could you imagine Oded having to deal with 9000+ per day? JFI, there are about 20 newbies per day! :-o

- attend a GoL event and get membership registration at the event. ...Ok, but how would you have heard about GoL? It's a 'free' community - no fee - who's going to pay for advertising?

- print your profile out and mail it in (this will increase burden on the SiteAdmin or those who volunteer). ...I haven't got a clue as to when my last visit to the post office was - too time consuming - we've all gone 'cyber'... Anyway, checking out the mail would be too time consuming too!

JulianT, Apr 21, 2007 @ 02:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 31
Valid points S_G! (nt) :-)
Valid points S_G! (nt) :-)
JulianT, Apr 21, 2007 @ 03:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 32

J - your arguments are interesting and should be considered by the site owners.

Allowing sincere individuals to register easily or in alternate ways, is not only in the interest of those with unusual circumstances or those who are more sensitive about their privacy, it may also be in the site owner's best interest. This is because they claim on the home page that they want to be able to fund it with advertising and make it profitable. Advertising revenues may be higher if there are more people, more content, more views, more...

The constraints, time burden, paying the bills, financing the site, etc... ultimately is something for the founders to reflect on. They have done a good job so far!! :-)

J - your arguments are interesting and should be considered by the site owners.

Allowing sincere individuals to register easily or in alternate ways, is not only in the interest of those with unusual circumstances or those who are more sensitive about their privacy, it may also be in the site owner's best interest. This is because they claim on the home page that they want to be able to fund it with advertising and make it profitable. Advertising revenues may be higher if there are more people, more content, more views, more...

The constraints, time burden, paying the bills, financing the site, etc... ultimately is something for the founders to reflect on. They have done a good job so far!! :-)
colorado, Apr 21, 2007 @ 16:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 33
by this brainstorming. Anyway, they say that the spam is a common problem. You have spam only when you are at home. It's not me, I read it somewhere.
by this brainstorming. Anyway, they say that the spam is a common problem. You have spam only when you are at home. It's not me, I read it somewhere.
careful, Apr 29, 2007 @ 02:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
39 Replies | 2755 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form