Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > News from the Site Admin > Stopping GoL spammers

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Stopping GoL spammers
The occasional spammer makes it into GoL and annoys members. Here's the current situation, and what we're doing about it.

CURRENTLY
Over the past 6 months we've had 12 pro spammers joining GoL. The spammers send bulk mails to as many members as they can, usually along the lines of 'I'm a nice girl looking for love, and I have money that I need to move out of my country, so please write to me'.

WHAT WE'RE DOING ABOUT IT
As soon as we learn of spammers (via members notifying us) we block their account, change their user name to Spammer (this changes their names in Emails they already sent out), and report their Email addressed to the Swiss Fraud Board.

FUTURE PLANS TO GET RID OF SPAMMERS
We're upgrading the system in 3 ways:
- ensure only members with approved profiles can send mails (currently any member can send Emails)
- ensure new members have to wait 24 hours and post on forum before being able to send Emails
- better 'member flagging' tool that will allow us to catch the spammers more quickly

These upgrades will come in 6-8 weeks. Until then, pls let us know if any spammers are out there...

Thanks.

The text you are quoting:
The occasional spammer makes it into GoL and annoys members. Here's the current situation, and what we're doing about it.

CURRENTLY
Over the past 6 months we've had 12 pro spammers joining GoL. The spammers send bulk mails to as many members as they can, usually along the lines of 'I'm a nice girl looking for love, and I have money that I need to move out of my country, so please write to me'.

WHAT WE'RE DOING ABOUT IT
As soon as we learn of spammers (via members notifying us) we block their account, change their user name to Spammer (this changes their names in Emails they already sent out), and report their Email addressed to the Swiss Fraud Board.

FUTURE PLANS TO GET RID OF SPAMMERS
We're upgrading the system in 3 ways:
- ensure only members with approved profiles can send mails (currently any member can send Emails)
- ensure new members have to wait 24 hours and post on forum before being able to send Emails
- better 'member flagging' tool that will allow us to catch the spammers more quickly

These upgrades will come in 6-8 weeks. Until then, pls let us know if any spammers are out there...

Thanks.

Nir OfekAug 23, 2006 @ 20:13
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

4 Replies | 1627 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Stopping GoL spammers
Post 1
Hi Nir,
You guys are doing a great job! And to be honest the occasional spammer does not spoil all the fun (besides there aren't all that many. Besides who else is going to spread all that loooooove ;-)).
It isn't easy to get rid of spammers (used to be IT Security so know from first-hand experience!). I think you're ideas are great, just a little concerned about forcing a new member to pst something on the forum before being able to send mails... Not everyone is as expansive and bold as you mate :-)
But then I don't have any better ideas, so...
Keep up the good work guys & dolls...
Rock on,
S
Hi Nir,
You guys are doing a great job! And to be honest the occasional spammer does not spoil all the fun (besides there aren't all that many. Besides who else is going to spread all that loooooove ;-)).
It isn't easy to get rid of spammers (used to be IT Security so know from first-hand experience!). I think you're ideas are great, just a little concerned about forcing a new member to pst something on the forum before being able to send mails... Not everyone is as expansive and bold as you mate :-)
But then I don't have any better ideas, so...
Keep up the good work guys & dolls...
Rock on,
S
shadow69, Aug 23, 2006 @ 23:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
Hi,

As a new member (joined last week), I have got a total of 5 messages via GOL - 4 of these were spam - that makes 80% of total messages - hardly occasional.

However, I agree with shadow69 that obliging new members to post would be counter-productive. The other ideas sound fine though, especially the member flagging.

Best of Luck.
N.

Hi,

As a new member (joined last week), I have got a total of 5 messages via GOL - 4 of these were spam - that makes 80% of total messages - hardly occasional.

However, I agree with shadow69 that obliging new members to post would be counter-productive. The other ideas sound fine though, especially the member flagging.

Best of Luck.
N.

nmcp, Aug 25, 2006 @ 01:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
12 "pro" in 6 month, plus the occasional "amateurs".. it ain't catastrophic. So far we haven't received any such email, and we receive a lot of messages. Maybe some profiles are "calling" for such harassment?

Probably the screening period until "approval" is sufficient deterrence.
Anyhow in internet-world everyone should be mature enough and avoid being naive or candid. These traps are usually very obvious.

Cheers for this good result
12 "pro" in 6 month, plus the occasional "amateurs".. it ain't catastrophic. So far we haven't received any such email, and we receive a lot of messages. Maybe some profiles are "calling" for such harassment?

Probably the screening period until "approval" is sufficient deterrence.
Anyhow in internet-world everyone should be mature enough and avoid being naive or candid. These traps are usually very obvious.

Cheers for this good result

swisskiss, Aug 26, 2006 @ 21:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
4 Replies | 1627 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form