Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > News from the Site Admin > Survey results published: GoL new name

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Survey results published: GoL new name
2 weeks ago we ran a survey among GoL members to see which new site name members prefer for GoL.

900 members decided to reply (thanks!), and their choice was pretty clear: glocals.com

Check out the results

The text you are quoting:
2 weeks ago we ran a survey among GoL members to see which new site name members prefer for GoL.

900 members decided to reply (thanks!), and their choice was pretty clear: glocals.com

Check out the results

Nir OfekMar 22, 2007 @ 19:43
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

18 Replies | 2039 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Survey results published: GoL new name
Post 1
yes, the choice was pretty clear..against the other proposed alternatives.

but the overall score of just above 2 isn't a dream result, is it? about as many people who think it's a good new name, think it's a bad one.

personally, i like many others proposed in the open ended questions and in long forum discussions way better. but i know it's difficult to please everyone...

so...i guess i am looking forward to the next GLOCALS PARTY then (euuww)
yes, the choice was pretty clear..against the other proposed alternatives.

but the overall score of just above 2 isn't a dream result, is it? about as many people who think it's a good new name, think it's a bad one.

personally, i like many others proposed in the open ended questions and in long forum discussions way better. but i know it's difficult to please everyone...

so...i guess i am looking forward to the next GLOCALS PARTY then (euuww)
Quijote, Mar 22, 2007 @ 20:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
Hey Guys,

First, big thanks to everyone who took the survey (900 people!) and posted feedback about the name.

Some of the feedback was pretty harsh, but we appreciate it and love to know what you guys think.

Now, about the actual names.

1. Most importantly, we went by the majority vote. The selected name may not be ideal, but it's the best we got so far, with 72% of members saying it's either 'Good' or 'So-So'.

2. Much less importantly, I really thing Glocals.com is good. It's short, catchy, easy to spell, and is a nice play on the words Global and Local.

We know the name is not pleasing to everyone, but given the voting results, we're planning on Glocals.com

We're always open to more suggestions, and if someone comes up with a name that's on point, not taken, and loved by the community, then we will consider it with great pleasure.

In any case, thanks again, and I hope that whatever name we go with will not change the friendly spirit and the member involvement.

Oded

Hey Guys,

First, big thanks to everyone who took the survey (900 people!) and posted feedback about the name.

Some of the feedback was pretty harsh, but we appreciate it and love to know what you guys think.

Now, about the actual names.

1. Most importantly, we went by the majority vote. The selected name may not be ideal, but it's the best we got so far, with 72% of members saying it's either 'Good' or 'So-So'.

2. Much less importantly, I really thing Glocals.com is good. It's short, catchy, easy to spell, and is a nice play on the words Global and Local.

We know the name is not pleasing to everyone, but given the voting results, we're planning on Glocals.com

We're always open to more suggestions, and if someone comes up with a name that's on point, not taken, and loved by the community, then we will consider it with great pleasure.

In any case, thanks again, and I hope that whatever name we go with will not change the friendly spirit and the member involvement.

Oded

SiteAdmin Oded, Mar 23, 2007 @ 18:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
Off the cuff I can't say I like the new name, though I love the idea behind it (global/local). There is the point of never being able to please everyone too. Those thoughts aside, it would be interesting to know any results of a market test of the name, a different process than the idea development activity. Specifically, I wonder how easily it would be picked up by the Geneva community (expats and locals), prospective new members, media etc., with particular reference to the point of how fluidly it can be mentioned between people - saying "geneva online" (or any other words 'known' in a language) is far easier than a constructed term. It's likely all these things resolve over time and with work, but nevertheless worthy of further market testing. Apologies, of course, if this has already been done; it may then just be helpful or interesting for members to hear more about that. Cheers, and no matter what, best of luck for GOL under any name. E
Off the cuff I can't say I like the new name, though I love the idea behind it (global/local). There is the point of never being able to please everyone too. Those thoughts aside, it would be interesting to know any results of a market test of the name, a different process than the idea development activity. Specifically, I wonder how easily it would be picked up by the Geneva community (expats and locals), prospective new members, media etc., with particular reference to the point of how fluidly it can be mentioned between people - saying "geneva online" (or any other words 'known' in a language) is far easier than a constructed term. It's likely all these things resolve over time and with work, but nevertheless worthy of further market testing. Apologies, of course, if this has already been done; it may then just be helpful or interesting for members to hear more about that. Cheers, and no matter what, best of luck for GOL under any name. E
lovethiscity, Mar 24, 2007 @ 11:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
I cannot remember what my best choice was but Glocals makes sense. It might need a more "friendly" touch or even funny or glamourous touch but that does not need to be inside the name.

The image can be enriched with new inputs around this name. Today on a website the visual effect can a very strong appeal. I think that the name is fine. At this point the color theme and visuals could be improved (sorry about that :)).

Why not an artistic (artists are under represented in GoL) logo/color theme/etc. contest with a votation round ?

Cheers,
B.
I cannot remember what my best choice was but Glocals makes sense. It might need a more "friendly" touch or even funny or glamourous touch but that does not need to be inside the name.

The image can be enriched with new inputs around this name. Today on a website the visual effect can a very strong appeal. I think that the name is fine. At this point the color theme and visuals could be improved (sorry about that :)).

Why not an artistic (artists are under represented in GoL) logo/color theme/etc. contest with a votation round ?

Cheers,
B.

brooster, Mar 24, 2007 @ 12:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
I really dislike Glocals. Everytime I hear it, I am either thinking of an Austrian gun manufacturer or a STD.
Both associations you don´t want to go for.
I must say that with the choice of names you gave us, glocals had to come out as the winner since the other names were just *#*'$"/!)")§(!

Not a very constructive comment, I know.
I really dislike Glocals. Everytime I hear it, I am either thinking of an Austrian gun manufacturer or a STD.
Both associations you don´t want to go for.
I must say that with the choice of names you gave us, glocals had to come out as the winner since the other names were just *#*'$"/!)")§(!

Not a very constructive comment, I know.
Mister_Sark, Mar 26, 2007 @ 07:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
whilst i understand what others are saying about having to SAY GloCal, i think it makes sense in terms of spreading out and finding it over the internet. but i expect people will call their own local 'branch' whatever they please (LOL), and i can't imagine we'll be dropping GOL anytime soon. so as an umbrella name, why not?
whilst i understand what others are saying about having to SAY GloCal, i think it makes sense in terms of spreading out and finding it over the internet. but i expect people will call their own local 'branch' whatever they please (LOL), and i can't imagine we'll be dropping GOL anytime soon. so as an umbrella name, why not?
Minda, Mar 26, 2007 @ 17:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
If we have to live with this name, can we at LeaST have a nice logo for the name? I was thinking in keeping with the original GOL name, we highlight or bold or something the G-O-L in "G" l "o" ca "L".... Unfortunately i can't use text formating here, but i hope you get the idea. It would be a shame to lose our original identity.
If we have to live with this name, can we at LeaST have a nice logo for the name? I was thinking in keeping with the original GOL name, we highlight or bold or something the G-O-L in "G" l "o" ca "L".... Unfortunately i can't use text formating here, but i hope you get the idea. It would be a shame to lose our original identity.
YouMeCo, Mar 28, 2007 @ 11:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
...the French word 'Gloque' ring any bells(?) - haven't got a clue how it is really spelt, but 'Glocals' could be abbreviated to it in conversations etc - and it isn't to do with anything positive... oops!

Anyway, what the heck... I quite like the 'G' l 'O L' cals idea from the previous posting...!
:-) J.
...the French word 'Gloque' ring any bells(?) - haven't got a clue how it is really spelt, but 'Glocals' could be abbreviated to it in conversations etc - and it isn't to do with anything positive... oops!

Anyway, what the heck... I quite like the 'G' l 'O L' cals idea from the previous posting...!
:-) J.
JulianT, Mar 28, 2007 @ 20:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9
AT&T was american telephone and telegraph, and there ar no longer any telegraphs.......well accepted names don't change, even though the products or services evolve. Hoover, make more than just vacuum cleaners, yet they haven't changed the name........GOL .......geneva on line, would have been a nice story when the idea goes world wide.......it all started in geneva ( by some Glocals) :-)
AT&T was american telephone and telegraph, and there ar no longer any telegraphs.......well accepted names don't change, even though the products or services evolve. Hoover, make more than just vacuum cleaners, yet they haven't changed the name........GOL .......geneva on line, would have been a nice story when the idea goes world wide.......it all started in geneva ( by some Glocals) :-)
epicure, Mar 29, 2007 @ 10:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10
The GoL name-change survey was a a lot like an American presidential election--all the options were terrible, but I figured I might as well pick one anyway. I like the current name much better, and if you have to change the name for some reason I'd encourage you to keep thinking.
The GoL name-change survey was a a lot like an American presidential election--all the options were terrible, but I figured I might as well pick one anyway. I like the current name much better, and if you have to change the name for some reason I'd encourage you to keep thinking.
sethrates, Mar 29, 2007 @ 15:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11
cangol(s)
cangol(s)
brooster, Mar 29, 2007 @ 17:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12
do a search on Glocals and you have too many references associated with this Word... I still think you can refer to GOL as "Geneva on Line / Global on Line / General on Line".... sorry, i'm a sucker for nostolgia... Y
do a search on Glocals and you have too many references associated with this Word... I still think you can refer to GOL as "Geneva on Line / Global on Line / General on Line".... sorry, i'm a sucker for nostolgia... Y

YouMeCo, Mar 30, 2007 @ 14:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13
I too, preferred GOL.
I too, preferred GOL.
Jennifer, Apr 1, 2007 @ 06:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14
...with subsets for different towns... :-) J.
...with subsets for different towns... :-) J.
JulianT, Apr 3, 2007 @ 01:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15
...past tense? It hasn't changed (yet) Jennifer! :-) J.
...past tense? It hasn't changed (yet) Jennifer! :-) J.
JulianT, Apr 3, 2007 @ 01:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
18 Replies | 2039 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form