Login or Sign Up

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
The ping is dead
If you chatted on GoL this past week you probably noticed that the incoming chat noise alert (aka 'ping') was changed from the past annoying 'ping', to a new softer one.

So now it's less risky to chat in the office...

We still need to install a better overall chat, but atleast the 'ping' is already better...(-;

The ping is dead, long live the new ping!
The text you are quoting:
If you chatted on GoL this past week you probably noticed that the incoming chat noise alert (aka 'ping') was changed from the past annoying 'ping', to a new softer one.

So now it's less risky to chat in the office...

We still need to install a better overall chat, but atleast the 'ping' is already better...(-;

The ping is dead, long live the new ping!
Nir OfekJun 30, 2007 @ 10:48
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

16 Replies | 2362 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: The ping is dead
Post 1
eepers... and i was going crazy trying to figure out what this unidentified ringing noise was, checking all around my pc to see what's being installed or updated or...til I finally sas the "xxxx waiting to chat" popup sliding in from the side.
eepers... and i was going crazy trying to figure out what this unidentified ringing noise was, checking all around my pc to see what's being installed or updated or...til I finally sas the "xxxx waiting to chat" popup sliding in from the side.
YouMeCo, Jun 30, 2007 @ 19:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
so which 'ping' is better? (nt)
so which 'ping' is better? (nt)
Nir Ofek, Jul 2, 2007 @ 14:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
This is a suggestion from one of the Grutli brothers... hey(!), don't shoot the messenger! ;-)

---------------------------------------------------
Nir could look at the photo and decide how fit the person was and give a noise accordingly.

Maybe a wolf whistle is first, then a ding dong, followed by a heeelloooo, going down to a mooo, then at the bottom would be a woof woof?

Maybe this may be seen by some people as demeaning and insulting. They could have a physco shower scene noise for them. Notice I won't post this but send like a coward to one person.

But its a good idea, non?
Working on this theme what about giving people marks out of 10 and then you can select who you want to chat with, ie I will only chat with 8's and above or hey I'm desperate I'll speak to 5's and above. This I think would solve the true problem which is some members are being chased by ugly people. I think I've sold the problem, how do you forward this on to Nir?

Ping...! Sqwark...! Moo...!
You crack me up! :-D

I'm too sacred to suggest it as I've seen a girl dressed as a cowgirl in our car park and she has a lasso.

Where's your sense of humour everyone? ;-D J.
This is a suggestion from one of the Grutli brothers... hey(!), don't shoot the messenger! ;-)

Nir could look at the photo and decide how fit the person was and give a noise accordingly.

Maybe a wolf whistle is first, then a ding dong, followed by a heeelloooo, going down to a mooo, then at the bottom would be a woof woof?

Maybe this may be seen by some people as demeaning and insulting. They could have a physco shower scene noise for them. Notice I won't post this but send like a coward to one person.

But its a good idea, non?
Working on this theme what about giving people marks out of 10 and then you can select who you want to chat with, ie I will only chat with 8's and above or hey I'm desperate I'll speak to 5's and above. This I think would solve the true problem which is some members are being chased by ugly people. I think I've sold the problem, how do you forward this on to Nir?

Ping...! Sqwark...! Moo...!
You crack me up! :-D

I'm too sacred to suggest it as I've seen a girl dressed as a cowgirl in our car park and she has a lasso.

Where's your sense of humour everyone? ;-D J.
JulianT, Jul 2, 2007 @ 18:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
The UN has their probs, we have ours...(-: (nt)
The UN has their probs, we have ours...(-: (nt)
Nir Ofek, Jul 2, 2007 @ 19:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
OK, you made a few people smile with the 'woof woof' ping line...(-:

But seriously, we did think of allowing member to personalise their 'ping' noise, but it's just too expensive technically.

And we are thinking of introducing some sort of reputation system, that will allow members to get a 'rep' based what others members say about them. And then, each members can select that only members with a certain rep could chat with him/her.

However, luckily for both me, you, and Archie, the rep will not have to do with looks...(-;
OK, you made a few people smile with the 'woof woof' ping line...(-:

But seriously, we did think of allowing member to personalise their 'ping' noise, but it's just too expensive technically.

And we are thinking of introducing some sort of reputation system, that will allow members to get a 'rep' based what others members say about them. And then, each members can select that only members with a certain rep could chat with him/her.

However, luckily for both me, you, and Archie, the rep will not have to do with looks...(-;

Nir Ofek, Jul 2, 2007 @ 19:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
The rep thing, gee, that's going to be hard to pull off, isn't it? But doesn't it already exist with the number of people in one's profile?

Good idea though, but I don't know how you guys are going to pull it off - interested! :-) J.
The rep thing, gee, that's going to be hard to pull off, isn't it? But doesn't it already exist with the number of people in one's profile?

Good idea though, but I don't know how you guys are going to pull it off - interested! :-) J.
JulianT, Jul 2, 2007 @ 19:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
You should update your jokes with the new Sec. Gen. Ban Ki-moon :)
Kofi is not worrying much about UN problems anymore :)
LONG LIVE KOFI! (and ping)
You should update your jokes with the new Sec. Gen. Ban Ki-moon :)
Kofi is not worrying much about UN problems anymore :)
LONG LIVE KOFI! (and ping)
Stef__Granny, Jul 3, 2007 @ 14:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
Just been pinged! :-o ...What a fright! ...and then I had a tripple-one (bug?)

Couldn't the noise be changed to some sort of soft, mobile-phone touch-pad type of 'Pfffumm'? ...I could stay inside my skin then! :-) J.
Just been pinged! :-o ...What a fright! ...and then I had a tripple-one (bug?)

Couldn't the noise be changed to some sort of soft, mobile-phone touch-pad type of 'Pfffumm'? ...I could stay inside my skin then! :-) J.
JulianT, Jul 3, 2007 @ 19:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9
the ping is dead...
ding-dong the wicked ping is de---ad....

sorry, having a terrible time adjusting to this wicked "SUMMER"!!

meanwhile i'm sure i'll be complaining once the hot humid heat comes around and I've no AC or air circulation in my place....

(watch this space for more of my grumblings to come)...
YMe
the ping is dead...
ding-dong the wicked ping is de---ad....

sorry, having a terrible time adjusting to this wicked "SUMMER"!!

meanwhile i'm sure i'll be complaining once the hot humid heat comes around and I've no AC or air circulation in my place....

(watch this space for more of my grumblings to come)...
YMe
YouMeCo, Jul 3, 2007 @ 21:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10
tres effrayant... :o)
tres effrayant... :o)