Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Politics & Current Affairs > 35 hour working week

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
35 hour working week

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/35-hour_workweek

I've heard some call it utopian, while some call it the French dream.

Personally, I see reason and a strong desire for a work-life balance. While other countries are worry about resource utilization, this may in reality - undermine that aspect and stress on productivity.

Are you for or against this concept?

I'm posting this under politics, but I'm hoping - it's no reason to attack the French, foie-gras, TGV & comme d'habitude, world religions & Israel. Clearly, the French themselves are divided over this concept.

The text you are quoting:

Personally, I see reason and a strong desire for a work-life balance. While other countries are worry about resource utilization, this may in reality - undermine that aspect and stress on productivity.

I'm posting this under politics, but I'm hoping - it's no reason to attack the French, foie-gras, TGV & comme d'habitude, world religions & Israel. Clearly, the French themselves are divided over this concept.

Arun K VJun 9, 2011 @ 13:09
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

9 Replies | 1624 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: 35 hour working week
Post 1

Jun 9, 11 13:09

My dear friend Arun,

Before some people start to critisize France, MY country Wink, I just remind some facts about France:

France has one of the best healthcare systems in the industrial world and the French healthcare system was ranked first worldwide by the World Health Organization in 1997 and then again in 2000.

We have invented sex during the day, the lingerie and the kiss with the tongue Laughing

There are 3.22 physicians for every 1000 inhabitants in France.

We are not FAT, the French obesity rate is far below that of the USA (for instance, obesity rate in France is the same that the American once was in the 1970), and is still the lowest of Europe.

French cuisine is renowned for being one of the finest in the world.

I can tell you more, but I don't want people think I am showing off and I am so proud about my country Laughing.

Regarding the 35 hours week, in my opinion it is a good a idea :-)

Cheers,

Felipe

My dear friend Arun,

Before some people start to critisize France, MY country Wink, I just remind some facts about France:

France has one of the best healthcare systems in the industrial world and the French healthcare system was ranked first worldwide by the World Health Organization in 1997 and then again in 2000.

We have invented sex during the day, the lingerie and the kiss with the tongue Laughing

We are not FAT, the French obesity rate is far below that of the USA (for instance, obesity rate in France is the same that the American once was in the 1970), and is still the lowest of Europe.

I can tell you more, but I don't want people think I am showing off and I am so proud about my country Laughing.

Cheers,

Felipe

Felipe Marciano, Jun 9, 2011 @ 17:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

It sounds good in principle. However, has anyone considered the impact on small companies struggling with their staff being unavailable during RTT?

It sounds good in principle. However, has anyone considered the impact on small companies struggling with their staff being unavailable during RTT?

Rich, Jun 9, 2011 @ 21:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

ofcourse it's good for the workers, but I don't think it's sustainable in today's global market.

If the rest of the world keeps working 50 hour weeks, and France insists on 35, they'll fall way behind. And FR businesses who want to grow fast will move their operations else where. 

ofcourse it's good for the workers, but I don't think it's sustainable in today's global market.

If the rest of the world keeps working 50 hour weeks, and France insists on 35, they'll fall way behind. And FR businesses who want to grow fast will move their operations else where. 

Nir Ofek, Jun 12, 2011 @ 12:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Nir: That's a great perspective. For the sake of debate, that brings us to another question - who should draw these lines and define these limits?

Global corporations, credit-worthiness & global economy, or an assurance towards better work-life balance for the country's population?

I mean - corporations (East India Company until 1857, to quote one) have in the past colonized countries. Making companies, that hold their responsibilities to stock ownership openly dictate terms to governments, whose sole purpose of existence is the welfare of its people. It sort of, may begin a whole wheel-reinvention process. What do you think?

Nir: That's a great perspective. For the sake of debate, that brings us to another question - who should draw these lines and define these limits?

Global corporations, credit-worthiness & global economy, or an assurance towards better work-life balance for the country's population?

I mean - corporations (East India Company until 1857, to quote one) have in the past colonized countries. Making companies, that hold their responsibilities to stock ownership openly dictate terms to governments, whose sole purpose of existence is the welfare of its people. It sort of, may begin a whole wheel-reinvention process. What do you think?

Arun K V, Jun 13, 2011 @ 13:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

My dear friend Arun,

Cheers,

Felipe

Jun 9, 11 17:58

No way. We wouldn't judge you to be proud Frenchman, just because you say these things. I wouldn't have believed you on this info if you weren't French. Wink 

I've been in France for the last couple of years and I'm already beginning to feel pretty proud myself. Innocent

Why do you think 35 hours is a good idea? Have you seen it truly working in practice, or do you like me (I guess I can add Rich too), hear French customers & entrepreneurs perpetually complaining of workers hours being standard across industries, despite productivity reaching new heights?

2004: http://www.ncpa.org/sub/dpd/index.php?Article_ID=3588

2010: http://online.wsj.com/ad/article/france-productivity

No way. We wouldn't judge you to be proud Frenchman, just because you say these things. I wouldn't have believed you on this info if you weren't French. Wink 

I've been in France for the last couple of years and I'm already beginning to feel pretty proud myself. Innocent

Why do you think 35 hours is a good idea? Have you seen it truly working in practice, or do you like me (I guess I can add Rich too), hear French customers & entrepreneurs perpetually complaining of workers hours being standard across industries, despite productivity reaching new heights?

2004: http://www.ncpa.org/sub/dpd/index.php?Article_ID=3588

2010: http://online.wsj.com/ad/article/france-productivity

Arun K V, Jun 13, 2011 @ 15:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Arun:

I don't know who SHOULD draw the limits, but i think the only one who in the moderan world have the power to really make it happen are the local governments. I don't see any 1 company, as huge as it might be, moving on its own to a 35 hours work week and hoping its competitors follow.

Nir

Arun:

I don't know who SHOULD draw the limits, but i think the only one who in the moderan world have the power to really make it happen are the local governments. I don't see any 1 company, as huge as it might be, moving on its own to a 35 hours work week and hoping its competitors follow.

Nir

Nir Ofek, Jun 13, 2011 @ 22:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

In the same line: recently Swiss parliament refused 6 weeks holidays per year for everybody.

In the same line: recently Swiss parliament refused 6 weeks holidays per year for everybody.

Good_Rider, Jun 16, 2011 @ 21:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

35 hours ... far too long. 35 hours too long! We should be aiming for less employment not more

People we are in the 21st century and we are still clinging to the idea that people have to work, and not only that work for less money and work longer hours. Its fucked up and you know it!

Only masochistic workaholics, idiots and the powers that be think long(er) working hours are a good idea. Have we invented labour saving devices to NOT save labour?

Examine your own job (if you are working) in an honest way - is it really any use? You will find that about 90% of your time is filled dealing with BS rather than the actual work - it is work for works sake rather than any real productivity

Just examine the countries with long working hours and little regulation...the US poor poor employment ethic (long long hours little holiday) and its economies technically fucked - and third world countries with their slave labour...now Norway shorter hours (I read somewhere its an average 22 hours a week (yahoo!)and its doing fine.

Follow Norway and not the US

35 hours ... far too long. 35 hours too long! We should be aiming for less employment not more

People we are in the 21st century and we are still clinging to the idea that people have to work, and not only that work for less money and work longer hours. Its fucked up and you know it!

Only masochistic workaholics, idiots and the powers that be think long(er) working hours are a good idea. Have we invented labour saving devices to NOT save labour?

Examine your own job (if you are working) in an honest way - is it really any use? You will find that about 90% of your time is filled dealing with BS rather than the actual work - it is work for works sake rather than any real productivity

Just examine the countries with long working hours and little regulation...the US poor poor employment ethic (long long hours little holiday) and its economies technically fucked - and third world countries with their slave labour...now Norway shorter hours (I read somewhere its an average 22 hours a week (yahoo!)and its doing fine.

Follow Norway and not the US

leo tincrowdor, Jun 25, 2011 @ 10:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Arun:

Nir

Jun 13, 11 22:42

You are confusing time spent at work with productivity - Like many people I have been in jobs where the vast amount of time is unproductive - in some jobs in the past I have literally done 1 hours productive workout of 8  but HAVE to be present because...well thats the way work works.

Working hours are little to do with competiveness or productivity they are just a tool for bosses, the elite, the man, the suits - call them what you want  - to crack the whip and control your lives.

You are confusing time spent at work with productivity - Like many people I have been in jobs where the vast amount of time is unproductive - in some jobs in the past I have literally done 1 hours productive workout of 8  but HAVE to be present because...well thats the way work works.

Working hours are little to do with competiveness or productivity they are just a tool for bosses, the elite, the man, the suits - call them what you want  - to crack the whip and control your lives.

leo tincrowdor, Jun 25, 2011 @ 10:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
9 Replies | 1624 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form