Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Politics & Current Affairs > BUYCLUB may not be violating Swiss law but what is a fair term on the vouchers being sold..any views?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
BUYCLUB may not be violating Swiss law but what is a fair term on the vouchers being sold..any views?

I agree that 3 months is a reasonable time to spend a 20chf voucher to eat a burger or even two.

But what of high value purchases?

Whilst short coupon limits make sense on consumer products something offered which is more of an experience that takes time and scheduling to take true advantage of should have a longer date than 3 months. 

For example services such as gym use, travel vouchers or gourmet restaurants. Sometimes 3 months (which is often the limit on these BUYCLUB vouchers) is too short and with most of us expats often wanting/ needing to travel outside of work and the opportunity of being in Geneva to use the damn voucher limited even further its frustrating when you have a high value voucher such as I did and was told by the seller after it had expired - tough luck.

In that case a restaurant had decided to close for 3 weeks during the term of the voucher (without any prior notice) and during which time I had tried to book and use the voucher. By the time it re-opened I was on my Summer holidays.  When I returned I was unwell after an operation and sent full medical papers to show this.

Infact this voucher was legally invalid from the moment the restaurant decided to unilaterally change the T&C without communication to the owners of this voucher. The original voucher should have stated that there will be a 3 week period within the 3 months when it can not be used but it did not. And it was the duty of BUYCLUB to write this in the original T&C.

I should have been entitled to my cash back.

Instead I was told to exchange it for more vouchers. 

At that time I didn't want to get in to a legal dispute over my poor and unsatisfactory experience of BUYCLUB.

So buyclub got its 150chf or so and no more custom from me. 

My case was a clear cut. But many are less so. Why not simply offer the cash if its ethically right to do so such as many businesses do anyway and to keep goodwill amongst Glocals people- at least those outside the circle of Nir's friends!

Or better still why not consider lengthening some of the terms of these vouchers? More money for you guys/ the businesses and more choice for us the customers by driving the incentive to buy.

The only person who can affect this is the BUYCLUB owners so what do they think about such cases bearing in mind this expat 'frequently in and out of Geneva' demographic? 

And if you were a business would you be discouraged by agreeing to a slightly longer term on these vouchers if it encouraged people to buy them?

Plus most of these businesses have been in partnership with BUYCLUB for a number of years now.

I think a few negotiations could be had for the benefit of its customers, us Glocals!

What do you think?!

The text you are quoting:

I agree that 3 months is a reasonable time to spend a 20chf voucher to eat a burger or even two.

But what of high value purchases?

Whilst short coupon limits make sense on consumer products something offered which is more of an experience that takes time and scheduling to take true advantage of should have a longer date than 3 months. 

For example services such as gym use, travel vouchers or gourmet restaurants. Sometimes 3 months (which is often the limit on these BUYCLUB vouchers) is too short and with most of us expats often wanting/ needing to travel outside of work and the opportunity of being in Geneva to use the damn voucher limited even further its frustrating when you have a high value voucher such as I did and was told by the seller after it had expired - tough luck.

In that case a restaurant had decided to close for 3 weeks during the term of the voucher (without any prior notice) and during which time I had tried to book and use the voucher. By the time it re-opened I was on my Summer holidays.  When I returned I was unwell after an operation and sent full medical papers to show this.

Infact this voucher was legally invalid from the moment the restaurant decided to unilaterally change the T&C without communication to the owners of this voucher. The original voucher should have stated that there will be a 3 week period within the 3 months when it can not be used but it did not. And it was the duty of BUYCLUB to write this in the original T&C.

I should have been entitled to my cash back.

Instead I was told to exchange it for more vouchers. 

At that time I didn't want to get in to a legal dispute over my poor and unsatisfactory experience of BUYCLUB.

So buyclub got its 150chf or so and no more custom from me. 

My case was a clear cut. But many are less so. Why not simply offer the cash if its ethically right to do so such as many businesses do anyway and to keep goodwill amongst Glocals people- at least those outside the circle of Nir's friends!

Or better still why not consider lengthening some of the terms of these vouchers? More money for you guys/ the businesses and more choice for us the customers by driving the incentive to buy.

The only person who can affect this is the BUYCLUB owners so what do they think about such cases bearing in mind this expat 'frequently in and out of Geneva' demographic? 

And if you were a business would you be discouraged by agreeing to a slightly longer term on these vouchers if it encouraged people to buy them?

Plus most of these businesses have been in partnership with BUYCLUB for a number of years now.

I think a few negotiations could be had for the benefit of its customers, us Glocals!

What do you think?!

lougeneveMar 20, 2014 @ 18:32
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

1 Replies | 1751 Views      |  Send to friend

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Re: BUYCLUB may not be violating Swiss law but what is a fair term on the vouchers being sold..any views?
Post 1

I think you should just use it when you are told to use it and stop thinking so deeply about this crap. 

The text you are quoting:

I think you should just use it when you are told to use it and stop thinking so deeply about this crap. 

nickg_44, Mar 20, 2014 @ 22:57
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin
1 Replies | 1751 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form