Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Politics & Current Affairs > Boycott the Sochi Olympics?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Boycott the Sochi Olympics?

A number of people are calling for the Winter Olympics, due to be held in Russia next year, to be moved or boycotted because of Russia's treatment of its LGBT community. You can read one of the most eloquent here:

http://www.stephenfry.com/2013/08/07/an-open-letter-to-david-cameron-and-the-ioc/

What do you think? Are the Olympics 'above' politics? If not, how to decide which countries are 'acceptable' hosts?

The text you are quoting:

A number of people are calling for the Winter Olympics, due to be held in Russia next year, to be moved or boycotted because of Russia's treatment of its LGBT community. You can read one of the most eloquent here:

http://www.stephenfry.com/2013/08/07/an-open-letter-to-david-cameron-and-the-ioc/

What do you think? Are the Olympics 'above' politics? If not, how to decide which countries are 'acceptable' hosts?

adam_jeffAug 9, 2013 @ 13:00
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

2 Replies | 1753 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Boycott the Sochi Olympics?
Post 1

It has been a very long time, since I watched sports on TV and was never interested in going to the Olympics, therefore me boycotting the Sochi Olympics would not look much different from me not boycotting them.

I do agree with Fry, that the situation regarding homosexuals and human rights in general is not that great in Russia and not really compatible with the "Olympic Spirit". Why be homo- and xenophobe, but at the same time still invite the whole world to your country???

Are boycotts of the games OK? Yes. At least in general, I have no problems with boycotts.

I would never put pressure on athletes, to go or not to go to the Olympic Games. For many, this is a once-in-a-life-time opportunity and it is their desicion, if they want to join. Maybe a gay athlete should humiliate Russia, like Jesse Owens humiliated Hitler...

The second level is that of politicians. Just like Obama, every politician can decide not to show up for an event. I probably would not visit Russia in an official function if I had any choice. Send a subalterne assistant instead.

So yes and no, Olympics are 'above' politics for athletes, but not above politics for politicians. Who decides? The mostly corrupt members of the IOC, so there will be many more undemocratic venues till those Augean stables are cleansed.

It has been a very long time, since I watched sports on TV and was never interested in going to the Olympics, therefore me boycotting the Sochi Olympics would not look much different from me not boycotting them.

I do agree with Fry, that the situation regarding homosexuals and human rights in general is not that great in Russia and not really compatible with the "Olympic Spirit". Why be homo- and xenophobe, but at the same time still invite the whole world to your country???

Are boycotts of the games OK? Yes. At least in general, I have no problems with boycotts.

I would never put pressure on athletes, to go or not to go to the Olympic Games. For many, this is a once-in-a-life-time opportunity and it is their desicion, if they want to join. Maybe a gay athlete should humiliate Russia, like Jesse Owens humiliated Hitler...

The second level is that of politicians. Just like Obama, every politician can decide not to show up for an event. I probably would not visit Russia in an official function if I had any choice. Send a subalterne assistant instead.

So yes and no, Olympics are 'above' politics for athletes, but not above politics for politicians. Who decides? The mostly corrupt members of the IOC, so there will be many more undemocratic venues till those Augean stables are cleansed.

Alan S, Aug 9, 2013 @ 13:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: Boycott the Sochi Olympics?
Post 2

many countries could be boycotted - The London Olympics,for example,after UK's disgraceful involvement in the Irak invasion..The USA for it's inhuman treatment of detainees at Guantanamo.Some countries are worse than others but none deserve to take the moral high ground.

Maybe the best thing would be for out athletes to sport the rainbow flag and kiss each other openly......before going on to win loads of medals!

Maybe embarrassing the Russian authorities by confronting their prejudice would be more effective?

many countries could be boycotted - The London Olympics,for example,after UK's disgraceful involvement in the Irak invasion..The USA for it's inhuman treatment of detainees at Guantanamo.Some countries are worse than others but none deserve to take the moral high ground.

Maybe the best thing would be for out athletes to sport the rainbow flag and kiss each other openly......before going on to win loads of medals!

Maybe embarrassing the Russian authorities by confronting their prejudice would be more effective?

buzzcocks, Aug 25, 2013 @ 01:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
2 Replies | 1753 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form