Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Politics & Current Affairs > Define the face of Switzerland campaign

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Define the face of Switzerland campaign

Hey pals

Okay, so, not knowing much about Swiss polictics I can't help but notice all the images in that "Define the face of Switzerland" campaign are 100% white faces.

Is no one in the Swiss political system a visible minorty?  I would assume at least some flags would have been raised about these images, but then again I'm Canadian - so perhaps I'm just injecting my own cultural norms here - but curious.

Not looking to start a debate - but more looking for info on visible minorities in the system government.

Thanks!

The text you are quoting:

Hey pals

Okay, so, not knowing much about Swiss polictics I can't help but notice all the images in that "Define the face of Switzerland" campaign are 100% white faces.

Is no one in the Swiss political system a visible minorty?  I would assume at least some flags would have been raised about these images, but then again I'm Canadian - so perhaps I'm just injecting my own cultural norms here - but curious.

Not looking to start a debate - but more looking for info on visible minorities in the system government.

Thanks!

Lia KSep 25, 2011 @ 09:54
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

9 Replies | 1721 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Define the face of Switzerland campaign
Post 1

you know what - I didn't notice the all white trend on the posters, but now that you mention it - you're right! Would have been better handled with some minorities indeed. 

you know what - I didn't notice the all white trend on the posters, but now that you mention it - you're right! Would have been better handled with some minorities indeed. 

Nir Ofek, Sep 25, 2011 @ 21:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

In my experience, quite a few Swiss are racists; they tend to keep quiet about it.  I've heard one too many stories from non-white colleagues about receiving poor treatment on the other side of the röstigraben..

In my experience, quite a few Swiss are racists; they tend to keep quiet about it.  I've heard one too many stories from non-white colleagues about receiving poor treatment on the other side of the röstigraben..

richardm, Sep 26, 2011 @ 11:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Well, as with every culture, some are racist and some aren't.

I'm Canadian, which is a culture and a country basically made up of a rich and diverse group of cultures and heritages.  While it's normal for many Canadians to take national pride in that (I sure do) - we aren't perfect in that regard by any means.

So I don't want to judge a culture or people by blanket statements.

I do, however, think it would be awesome if people who are visable minorities and in positions of power throughout Switzerland could be celebrated.

Well, as with every culture, some are racist and some aren't.

I'm Canadian, which is a culture and a country basically made up of a rich and diverse group of cultures and heritages.  While it's normal for many Canadians to take national pride in that (I sure do) - we aren't perfect in that regard by any means.

So I don't want to judge a culture or people by blanket statements.

I do, however, think it would be awesome if people who are visable minorities and in positions of power throughout Switzerland could be celebrated.

Lia K, Sep 26, 2011 @ 12:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

The face of switzerland!

The face of switzerland!

DJ_Symcard, Sep 27, 2011 @ 20:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Nice photo exhibition...

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/multimedia/picture_gallery/The_united_nation.html?cid=31221224

September 28, 2011

"Although many immigrants still miss their homeland, many also have a strong desire to stay, to become Swiss. Why? Some cite friendships, others are drawn by career opportunities, while for others still, political considerations mean they are unable to return to their country of birth. Portraits of a Switzerland that could not be more diverse. (Concept: Schweizer Feuilleton-Dienst. Photos: Keystone/Alessandro Della Bella)"

Nice photo exhibition...

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/multimedia/picture_gallery/The_united_nation.html?cid=31221224

September 28, 2011

"Although many immigrants still miss their homeland, many also have a strong desire to stay, to become Swiss. Why? Some cite friendships, others are drawn by career opportunities, while for others still, political considerations mean they are unable to return to their country of birth. Portraits of a Switzerland that could not be more diverse. (Concept: Schweizer Feuilleton-Dienst. Photos: Keystone/Alessandro Della Bella)"

Translator, Sep 28, 2011 @ 15:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

http://www.thelocal.ch/1300/20110927/

"The tiny village of Wald pulled off an upset on Friday as it was awarded first prize by pro-immigrant group Secondos Plus in the first year of a competition to find the friendliest place for foreigners living in German-speaking Switzerland."

http://www.thelocal.ch/1300/20110927/

"The tiny village of Wald pulled off an upset on Friday as it was awarded first prize by pro-immigrant group Secondos Plus in the first year of a competition to find the friendliest place for foreigners living in German-speaking Switzerland."

Translator, Sep 28, 2011 @ 16:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

This is super duper!!! 

This is super duper!!! 

Lia K, Sep 28, 2011 @ 17:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Hey pals

Thanks!

Sep 25, 11 09:54

It's the first thing I noticed and perhaps a reflection of a Canadian bias and others.  Not familiar with the group promoting the campaign but I assumed it was a pro-voting campaign - any ideas anyone?

It's the first thing I noticed and perhaps a reflection of a Canadian bias and others.  Not familiar with the group promoting the campaign but I assumed it was a pro-voting campaign - any ideas anyone?

Marksist, Sep 29, 2011 @ 00:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Nice photo exhibition...

September 28, 2011

Sep 28, 11 15:44

We Canadians have a tendency I find to think we are unique in being multicultural.  I lived in Belgium and the world is represented there and when travelling through Paris just the other day was reminded of this again about France.  In my neighborhood of Petit-Saconnex I see all colours.  I rather suspect the world's nations are all multicultural and accept and value the contributions of the other as we instinctively understand we are all born naked.  I do on the other hand see many overt and not so overt expressions of xenophobia in reactions at the cbc website to stories about immigrants and just about anything that can be stretched to make racist remarks.  The comments section is not a scientific poll and I hope and believe Canadians are more tolerant than some readers would seem to indicate.

We Canadians have a tendency I find to think we are unique in being multicultural.  I lived in Belgium and the world is represented there and when travelling through Paris just the other day was reminded of this again about France.  In my neighborhood of Petit-Saconnex I see all colours.  I rather suspect the world's nations are all multicultural and accept and value the contributions of the other as we instinctively understand we are all born naked.  I do on the other hand see many overt and not so overt expressions of xenophobia in reactions at the cbc website to stories about immigrants and just about anything that can be stretched to make racist remarks.  The comments section is not a scientific poll and I hope and believe Canadians are more tolerant than some readers would seem to indicate.

Marksist, Sep 29, 2011 @ 00:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
9 Replies | 1721 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form