Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Politics & Current Affairs > 'I shall not hate': a palestinian doctor, an israeli reporter and an Irish police constable.

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
'I shall not hate': a palestinian doctor, an israeli reporter and an Irish police constable.

''Two years ago, Israeli shells fell on Dr Abuelaish's family home in Gaza, killing three of his young daughters and their cousin. The horror was caught live on Israeli TV when the doctor phoned his broadcaster friend''. 

The article (link below) goes on to explain how Dr Abuelaish never gave in to the temptation to hate. It is a powerful story, I hope it brings you as much hope as it did to me. Please note the article puts the shelling into a proper context by explaining the war that was going on before, during and after this shelling.

this article is not about taking sides but exactly the opposite. it shows how humanity can rise above hatred. next time i hear hateful words expressed i'll quietly say the names of the people mentioned in this article to myself and take power from their memories.

i dedicate this post to Ronan Kerr, a young catholic policeman, who was murdered in northern ireland this week by people addicted to hate. RIP Ronan, Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jan/16/gaza-doctor-izzeldin-abuelaish-interview

The text you are quoting:

''Two years ago, Israeli shells fell on Dr Abuelaish's family home in Gaza, killing three of his young daughters and their cousin. The horror was caught live on Israeli TV when the doctor phoned his broadcaster friend''. 

The article (link below) goes on to explain how Dr Abuelaish never gave in to the temptation to hate. It is a powerful story, I hope it brings you as much hope as it did to me. Please note the article puts the shelling into a proper context by explaining the war that was going on before, during and after this shelling.

this article is not about taking sides but exactly the opposite. it shows how humanity can rise above hatred. next time i hear hateful words expressed i'll quietly say the names of the people mentioned in this article to myself and take power from their memories.

i dedicate this post to Ronan Kerr, a young catholic policeman, who was murdered in northern ireland this week by people addicted to hate. RIP Ronan, Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jan/16/gaza-doctor-izzeldin-abuelaish-interview

manics1984Apr 3, 2011 @ 18:58
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

5 Replies | 1979 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: 'I shall not hate': a palestinian doctor, an israeli reporter and an Irish police constable.
Post 1

I read an account of this story and watched the video some weeks back and was touched by his humanity.  As for Ronan Kerr it is to be hoped that the true perpetrators will be brought to justice, the people of Omagh left in peace and his dear mother find some comfort in what family she has left.

My only disappointment a few weeks back in Peyot looking for Abuelaish's book was to find Elie Wiesel's (cynical) quote on the front cover.  Search Chomsky's site and Counterpunch for Elie Wiesel to discover what sort of man he is and what his quote of "This story is a necessary lesson against hatred and revenge" might in fact mean. http://www.amazon.com/Shall-Not-Hate-Doctors-Journey/dp/0802779174/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1301855394&sr=1-1#reader_0802779174

I read an account of this story and watched the video some weeks back and was touched by his humanity.  As for Ronan Kerr it is to be hoped that the true perpetrators will be brought to justice, the people of Omagh left in peace and his dear mother find some comfort in what family she has left.

My only disappointment a few weeks back in Peyot looking for Abuelaish's book was to find Elie Wiesel's (cynical) quote on the front cover.  Search Chomsky's site and Counterpunch for Elie Wiesel to discover what sort of man he is and what his quote of "This story is a necessary lesson against hatred and revenge" might in fact mean. http://www.amazon.com/Shall-Not-Hate-Doctors-Journey/dp/0802779174/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1301855394&sr=1-1#reader_0802779174

Marksist, Apr 3, 2011 @ 20:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: 'I shall not hate': a palestinian doctor, an israeli reporter and an Irish police constable.
Post 2

I thought i am compassionate but reading his story made me realize that there might be still a long way to go.

I thought i am compassionate but reading his story made me realize that there might be still a long way to go.

zesar p, Apr 3, 2011 @ 21:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

hi marksist: thanks for your thoughts on Ronan Kerr. The people who murdered that young man have just scored a major own goal. They must be completely out of touch with the feelings of all the people on the island of ireland to have done something so pointless. this murder will only serve to strengthen the bond between the two traditions on the island. 

hi marksist: thanks for your thoughts on Ronan Kerr. The people who murdered that young man have just scored a major own goal. They must be completely out of touch with the feelings of all the people on the island of ireland to have done something so pointless. this murder will only serve to strengthen the bond between the two traditions on the island. 

manics1984, Apr 3, 2011 @ 21:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

here's an interview with the man himself from an irish radio show. what a brilliant person he is...

http://www.todayfm.com/Shows/Weekdays/Matt-Cooper/Matt-Cooper-Blog/11-03-15/Izzeldin_Abuelaish_I_Shall_Not_Hate_.aspx

here's an interview with the man himself from an irish radio show. what a brilliant person he is...

http://www.todayfm.com/Shows/Weekdays/Matt-Cooper/Matt-Cooper-Blog/11-03-15/Izzeldin_Abuelaish_I_Shall_Not_Hate_.aspx

manics1984, Apr 3, 2011 @ 22:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Thank you for the link, I just listened to the interview and it is silencing that there is so much clarity through so much pain.

Thank you for the link, I just listened to the interview and it is silencing that there is so much clarity through so much pain.

bookworm, Apr 3, 2011 @ 23:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
5 Replies | 1979 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form