Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Politics & Current Affairs > NO MORE WRS ON FM!! (yes I'm yelling - OH NO!!!!)

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
NO MORE WRS ON FM!! (yes I'm yelling - OH NO!!!!)

Source: http://worldradio.ch/wrs/news/wrsnews/no-more-wrs-on-fm-from-september.shtml

No more WRS on FM from September

World Radio Switzerland will cease to exist on FM radio as of September.

The Federal Council made the decision to release the Swiss Broadcasting Corporation from its obligation to further fund and operate WRS.

The SBC announced last year that it was looking for private entities to purchase the FM and digital radio licenses of WRS. Neither bidder has been chosen for the FM license, however, Anglo Media will take over the digital aspect in September.

The decision means that there will be no FM-frequency English language radio station in Switzerland as of September. 

It’s not clear at this point until what date WRS will broadcast in its current form on FM.

My take on it for families:
http://www.moms-in-vaud.com/blog/2013/05/swissblog-no-more-wrs-on-fm/

The text you are quoting:

Source: http://worldradio.ch/wrs/news/wrsnews/no-more-wrs-on-fm-from-september.shtml

No more WRS on FM from September

World Radio Switzerland will cease to exist on FM radio as of September.

The Federal Council made the decision to release the Swiss Broadcasting Corporation from its obligation to further fund and operate WRS.

The SBC announced last year that it was looking for private entities to purchase the FM and digital radio licenses of WRS. Neither bidder has been chosen for the FM license, however, Anglo Media will take over the digital aspect in September.

The decision means that there will be no FM-frequency English language radio station in Switzerland as of September. 

It’s not clear at this point until what date WRS will broadcast in its current form on FM.

My take on it for families:
http://www.moms-in-vaud.com/blog/2013/05/swissblog-no-more-wrs-on-fm/

Michelle WMay 1, 2013 @ 13:09
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

3 Replies | 2275 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: NO MORE WRS ON FM!! (yes I'm yelling - OH NO!!!!)
Post 1

Very sad indeed! The program will be changing as the radio becomes commercial. One of the options to continue listening to WRS will be to get one of these radios for your car:

http://www.toppreise.ch/index.php?search=dab%2B&cat=243&lp=&hp=&manu=0

Very sad indeed! The program will be changing as the radio becomes commercial. One of the options to continue listening to WRS will be to get one of these radios for your car:

http://www.toppreise.ch/index.php?search=dab%2B&cat=243&lp=&hp=&manu=0

Olivier d, May 4, 2013 @ 19:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

It's a shame, but jesus christ they needed to sort things out. It's only any good for the news. Aside from that it's interviews and music are generally uninteresting. I'd also say the radio hosts are tiresome and the whole thing seems very thrown together. If I hear the opportunity to win a tshirt or a pen again I think I'll scream. 

They've really created their own destiny. With a few brighter ideas I think they would have been kept.

It's a shame, but jesus christ they needed to sort things out. It's only any good for the news. Aside from that it's interviews and music are generally uninteresting. I'd also say the radio hosts are tiresome and the whole thing seems very thrown together. If I hear the opportunity to win a tshirt or a pen again I think I'll scream. 

They've really created their own destiny. With a few brighter ideas I think they would have been kept.

Will Glyn, May 4, 2013 @ 21:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

May 4, 13 21:27

I am not sure whether the decision on the fate of WRS was related to the quality of the programming, but I agree that the locally generated programming is amateurish at best. I only listen to WRS for some of the PRI programs (like Fresh Air and 360) and the BBC news. And what is really irritating is the musical taste of the presenters in programs like "the wrap", which is completely juvenile, as is some of their ranting. Just who is their target audience? They should get a clue from the requests they get during "the mix." I frankly switch to french language stations when they come on the air. Similarly, I would not discuss foreign affairs with those on "(Not so) foreign affairs" even after 5 drinks. Again, I switch the dial. One should know that if you are going to go on the air, one should become well-informed and restrict oneself to commenting on subjects on which you are conversant.

Shifting WRS to digital broadcasting is useless, as we can access a huge choice of radio stations from around the world through the web. There will be a vaccum for a quality english language FM station.

I am not sure whether the decision on the fate of WRS was related to the quality of the programming, but I agree that the locally generated programming is amateurish at best. I only listen to WRS for some of the PRI programs (like Fresh Air and 360) and the BBC news. And what is really irritating is the musical taste of the presenters in programs like "the wrap", which is completely juvenile, as is some of their ranting. Just who is their target audience? They should get a clue from the requests they get during "the mix." I frankly switch to french language stations when they come on the air. Similarly, I would not discuss foreign affairs with those on "(Not so) foreign affairs" even after 5 drinks. Again, I switch the dial. One should know that if you are going to go on the air, one should become well-informed and restrict oneself to commenting on subjects on which you are conversant.

Shifting WRS to digital broadcasting is useless, as we can access a huge choice of radio stations from around the world through the web. There will be a vaccum for a quality english language FM station.

JR M, May 6, 2013 @ 12:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
3 Replies | 2275 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form