Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Politics & Current Affairs > Nostalgia for an age when women were treated like garbage: dangerous and powerfully stupid.

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Nostalgia for an age when women were treated like garbage: dangerous and powerfully stupid.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/8846233/Weve-lost-the-art-of-chivalry-says-Downtons-Lady-Mary.html

But women in the Downton Abbey days had it better in one respect: they lived in an age of chivalry, according to Michelle Dockery, the actress who plays Lady Mary.

Dockery said that 21st century equality of the sexes had led to the demise of old-fashioned manners. She suggested that modern men should watch the period drama and pick up tips on how to treat a lady.

“We take so many of our freedoms for granted nowadays - I can travel where I like, I can have a baby when I like, I can do any job I want - but I do think chivalry has been lost a little bit,” said Dockery, 29, when asked to consider how the role of women had changed since the Edwardian era.

The text you are quoting:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/8846233/Weve-lost-the-art-of-chivalry-says-Downtons-Lady-Mary.html

But women in the Downton Abbey days had it better in one respect: they lived in an age of chivalry, according to Michelle Dockery, the actress who plays Lady Mary.

Dockery said that 21st century equality of the sexes had led to the demise of old-fashioned manners. She suggested that modern men should watch the period drama and pick up tips on how to treat a lady.

“We take so many of our freedoms for granted nowadays - I can travel where I like, I can have a baby when I like, I can do any job I want - but I do think chivalry has been lost a little bit,” said Dockery, 29, when asked to consider how the role of women had changed since the Edwardian era.

manics1984Oct 25, 2011 @ 08:50
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 1843 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Nostalgia for an age when women were treated like garbage: dangerous and powerfully stupid.
Post 1

Well perhaps I should reply to this in a comic vein but instead I will choose to be boring and serious.

I ask myself what does a 29 year old actor (my pride and prejudice already showing through) know about history generally and the historical notion of chivalry?  Does she get her knowledge of the topic from films such as the one she is playing in?  Hobsbawm and Hugh Trevor Roper have both written on the 'invention of tradition' i.e. mythology and I wonder if her ladyship isn't a victim of these notions of tradition.

For a comic take on aristocracy, tradition and manners I take more inspiration and enjoyment from P.G. Wodehouse's treatment of 'The Blandings' and 'Jeeves and Wooster'.

Having said that, I grew up saying please and thank you, sir and madam and opening doors for women etc. and those traits are hard to shake no matter how great an effort I make to liberate myself along with my sisterss in the struggle.  So I've given it up and resign myself willingly and gratefully to the chivalry of women who open doors for me and allow me to go first.  'Manners' and politeness (culturally and historically determined and defined) are not the preserve of men alone, in my opinion.

Well perhaps I should reply to this in a comic vein but instead I will choose to be boring and serious.

I ask myself what does a 29 year old actor (my pride and prejudice already showing through) know about history generally and the historical notion of chivalry?  Does she get her knowledge of the topic from films such as the one she is playing in?  Hobsbawm and Hugh Trevor Roper have both written on the 'invention of tradition' i.e. mythology and I wonder if her ladyship isn't a victim of these notions of tradition.

For a comic take on aristocracy, tradition and manners I take more inspiration and enjoyment from P.G. Wodehouse's treatment of 'The Blandings' and 'Jeeves and Wooster'.

Having said that, I grew up saying please and thank you, sir and madam and opening doors for women etc. and those traits are hard to shake no matter how great an effort I make to liberate myself along with my sisterss in the struggle.  So I've given it up and resign myself willingly and gratefully to the chivalry of women who open doors for me and allow me to go first.  'Manners' and politeness (culturally and historically determined and defined) are not the preserve of men alone, in my opinion.

Marksist, Oct 25, 2011 @ 12:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: Nostalgia for an age when women were treated like garbage: dangerous and powerfully stupid.
Post 2

We should be able to combine rights and politeness, right... Example: do you open the door for a lady entering a team meeting? Doing so doesn't diminish her position as an equal team member.

I think we should be able to combine both rather than look back to when we had only one..

We should be able to combine rights and politeness, right... Example: do you open the door for a lady entering a team meeting? Doing so doesn't diminish her position as an equal team member.

I think we should be able to combine both rather than look back to when we had only one..

Ivet, Oct 28, 2011 @ 02:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Sadly there are many women who dont know how to react to chivalrous behaviour, and take it either as a slant on their feminism/independence , or as a indication that you just want to shag 'em.

I'm polite (generally) to all when face to face, but am shocked as to how many can't reciprocate the same politeness in todays world.

Would I want to go back to the 18th /19th centuries??? NO WAY....  I bet the shagging was boring then.,...

Sadly there are many women who dont know how to react to chivalrous behaviour, and take it either as a slant on their feminism/independence , or as a indication that you just want to shag 'em.

I'm polite (generally) to all when face to face, but am shocked as to how many can't reciprocate the same politeness in todays world.

Would I want to go back to the 18th /19th centuries??? NO WAY....  I bet the shagging was boring then.,...

Charlie, Oct 28, 2011 @ 10:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Oct 28, 11 10:31

You should meet my ex. It can still be boring in 2011

You should meet my ex. It can still be boring in 2011

Dominic A, Oct 28, 2011 @ 16:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Oct 28, 11 10:31

Well, bearing in mind Queen Victoria - the epitome of prudism, had numerous children in a very short time, your last sentence might just not be correct?

Well, bearing in mind Queen Victoria - the epitome of prudism, had numerous children in a very short time, your last sentence might just not be correct?

sheila c, Oct 30, 2011 @ 15:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Choose one.

Choose one.

richardm, Nov 1, 2011 @ 14:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
6 Replies | 1843 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form