Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Politics & Current Affairs > Palestine isn't in the countries list of glocals

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Palestine isn't in the countries list of glocals

Hi,

I'm Palestinian new in glocals, I wanted to register that I'm originally from Palestine but I didn't find my country in the list. I sent a message to the admin but no answer up till now. Do you know if we are welcome on this site?

Thanks

Aldo

The text you are quoting:

Hi,

I'm Palestinian new in glocals, I wanted to register that I'm originally from Palestine but I didn't find my country in the list. I sent a message to the admin but no answer up till now. Do you know if we are welcome on this site?

Thanks

Aldo

Aldo LMar 19, 2014 @ 11:18
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

10 Replies | 1969 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Palestine isn't in the countries list of glocals
Post 1

welcome to glocals aldo. i doubt there's an intentional thing here with the country list. 

most likely, since i see the glocals template of countries also doesn't include kosovo and holy-see, my guess is that glocals are using the template of states recognized by the us (which doesn't include kosovo, palestine, holy-see). this is common practice by most web sites and i'd be very surprised if its done with a political agenda. 

palestine, kosovo and holy-see are 3 countries that the un recognized as observer states, but the us (and some other countries) didn't recognize as states.

from a legal pov, the un itself states that only other countries, but not the un, can decide if a state is a state:

"The recognition of a new State or Government is an act that only other States and Governments may grant or withhold. The United Nations is neither a State nor a Government, and therefore does not possess any authority to recognize either a State or a Government"
- United Nations Charter

welcome to glocals aldo. i doubt there's an intentional thing here with the country list. 

most likely, since i see the glocals template of countries also doesn't include kosovo and holy-see, my guess is that glocals are using the template of states recognized by the us (which doesn't include kosovo, palestine, holy-see). this is common practice by most web sites and i'd be very surprised if its done with a political agenda. 

palestine, kosovo and holy-see are 3 countries that the un recognized as observer states, but the us (and some other countries) didn't recognize as states.

from a legal pov, the un itself states that only other countries, but not the un, can decide if a state is a state:

"The recognition of a new State or Government is an act that only other States and Governments may grant or withhold. The United Nations is neither a State nor a Government, and therefore does not possess any authority to recognize either a State or a Government"
- United Nations Charter

Mark Spencer, Mar 19, 2014 @ 11:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Thank you for your comment.

The point is the country where I come from which is my origin regardless of the state. When I talk about myself I don't talk about the state of my country, I talk about my identity which is linked to the area geogrophically and historically where I come from and not the state in the country.

The point is the country where I come from which is my origin regardless of the state. When I talk about myself I don't talk about the state of my country, I talk about my identity which is linked to the area geogrophically and historically where I come from and not the state in the country.

Aldo L, Mar 19, 2014 @ 14:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Mar 19, 14 14:42

i understand and respect that, and can even relate to it since i come from quebec, which has been lobbying for independance from canada for a long time.

but i also understand that websites need to use some agreed and well defined reference when deciding which country list to use, and that reference can't be your proposal of "the origina of the person, regardless of the state", or else the list will be very controversial and different for each site. for example, i would like such a list to include quebec, because i come from there and not from canada. but i can already see the hell that will follow if a site decides to include quebec as a country...

i understand and respect that, and can even relate to it since i come from quebec, which has been lobbying for independance from canada for a long time.

but i also understand that websites need to use some agreed and well defined reference when deciding which country list to use, and that reference can't be your proposal of "the origina of the person, regardless of the state", or else the list will be very controversial and different for each site. for example, i would like such a list to include quebec, because i come from there and not from canada. but i can already see the hell that will follow if a site decides to include quebec as a country...

Mark Spencer, Mar 19, 2014 @ 14:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Aldo who is Palestinian doesnt want mention Israel as country of origin. We can perfectly understand.

Aldo who is Palestinian doesnt want mention Israel as country of origin. We can perfectly understand.

Alexandre B, Mar 19, 2014 @ 21:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Quebek will be listed  if you insist on that.
Palestine is a country and you find it in 90% of the web sites. I wrote to the admin of glocals to check if he can correct it. I didn't receive any answer and I want to know if it's political decision or it's just a simple lapse.

Palestine is a country and you find it in 90% of the web sites. I wrote to the admin of glocals to check if he can correct it. I didn't receive any answer and I want to know if it's political decision or it's just a simple lapse.

Aldo L, Mar 19, 2014 @ 23:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Hey Aldo,

Here's proof. On the other hand, there's no South Sudan, Curaçao, England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

Hey Aldo,

Here's proof. On the other hand, there's no South Sudan, Curaçao, England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

Arun K V, Mar 20, 2014 @ 14:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Great

Great

Alexandre B, Mar 20, 2014 @ 16:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Thanks!

Thanks!

Aldo L, Mar 20, 2014 @ 17:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Mar 19, 14 23:08

you're replying with your heart (which is understandable) not with your logic. palestine, quebec, kosovo etc are surely considered as "states" to the ones living there, but their factual legal stats is far less clear.

the definition of a state according the united nations is defined by how many other countries recognize it as a state. like it or not, the united states is the big boy on the block, and until it recognizes someone as a state, the status remains murky

you're replying with your heart (which is understandable) not with your logic. palestine, quebec, kosovo etc are surely considered as "states" to the ones living there, but their factual legal stats is far less clear.

the definition of a state according the united nations is defined by how many other countries recognize it as a state. like it or not, the united states is the big boy on the block, and until it recognizes someone as a state, the status remains murky

Mark Spencer, Mar 21, 2014 @ 15:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

As an international lawyer I can assure you that there is a a big difference between Palestine, Quebec, Kosovo and the Holy See.

Palestine fulfills all the criteria under international law for being a State, is recognized by about 150 States, and is recognized by the UN. Moreover, Palestine is recognized as illegally occupied by Israel by the UN and after World War II the League of Nations agreed to recognize Palestine as an independent State as a result of the exercise of its right of self-determination.

Quebec is part of Canada, has never been recognized as an independent State by the UN or a significant number of States. Moreover, internatioanl law would be against Quebec based on the principle of uti posseditis, which says borders of States are to be recognized as long as the people are allowed to exercise their right to self-determination within the State of Canada. In other words, Quebec would have to argue that their right is are being violated to such an extend that they cannot be protected with Canada. This would probably not be possible and probably not necessary as Canada would likely have to allow Quebec to become independent if a referrendum ever asked for this.     

Kosovo has claimed independence, but their are arguments about whether its people cannot enjoy respect for their human rights within Serbia. Not too many States recognize Kosovo as a State and it is not clear if it meets the criteria for being a State under international law.  

Holy See is an Permanent Observer state in the UN. That means it is recognized as a State by the UN. Many States also recognize the Holy See. Moreover, the people of the Holy See have never sought any other status...in recent years.

As an international lawyer I can assure you that there is a a big difference between Palestine, Quebec, Kosovo and the Holy See.

Palestine fulfills all the criteria under international law for being a State, is recognized by about 150 States, and is recognized by the UN. Moreover, Palestine is recognized as illegally occupied by Israel by the UN and after World War II the League of Nations agreed to recognize Palestine as an independent State as a result of the exercise of its right of self-determination.

Quebec is part of Canada, has never been recognized as an independent State by the UN or a significant number of States. Moreover, internatioanl law would be against Quebec based on the principle of uti posseditis, which says borders of States are to be recognized as long as the people are allowed to exercise their right to self-determination within the State of Canada. In other words, Quebec would have to argue that their right is are being violated to such an extend that they cannot be protected with Canada. This would probably not be possible and probably not necessary as Canada would likely have to allow Quebec to become independent if a referrendum ever asked for this.     

Kosovo has claimed independence, but their are arguments about whether its people cannot enjoy respect for their human rights within Serbia. Not too many States recognize Kosovo as a State and it is not clear if it meets the criteria for being a State under international law.  

Holy See is an Permanent Observer state in the UN. That means it is recognized as a State by the UN. Many States also recognize the Holy See. Moreover, the people of the Holy See have never sought any other status...in recent years.

Curtis D, May 21, 2014 @ 18:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
10 Replies | 1969 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form