Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Politics & Current Affairs > Swissinfo: New Book on History of Swiss Mercenaries

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Swissinfo: New Book on History of Swiss Mercenaries

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/culture/Mercenary_trade_paid_for_peace_and_prosperity.html?cid=31568266

Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

2 Replies | 2035 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Swissinfo: New Book on History of Swiss Mercenaries
Post 1

This is a very interesting link thank you! Always great to learn about the country one is living in. And in general, Switzerland, in terms of marketing itself, does a brilliant job of creating a brand that positively sparkles with the polish of AAA grade propaganda. Not that this fine country does not do some brilliant humanitarian work. It's just nice to have access to the entire truth, rather than half of it, for once.

I should like to take this moment to give serious props to my Swiss friends who have spent a number of Christmases away from their families, working in Kosovo for the Swiss Military on peacekeeping missions. You're a credit to your country lads. 

The text you are quoting:

This is a very interesting link thank you! Always great to learn about the country one is living in. And in general, Switzerland, in terms of marketing itself, does a brilliant job of creating a brand that positively sparkles with the polish of AAA grade propaganda. Not that this fine country does not do some brilliant humanitarian work. It's just nice to have access to the entire truth, rather than half of it, for once.

I should like to take this moment to give serious props to my Swiss friends who have spent a number of Christmases away from their families, working in Kosovo for the Swiss Military on peacekeeping missions. You're a credit to your country lads. 

manics1984, Nov 16, 2011 @ 00:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: Swissinfo: New Book on History of Swiss Mercenaries
Post 2

All countries have their myths and mythologies.  Hitler tried to create one, the US has its founding fathers who often seriously feuded on the ideas of what the nation should become e.g. different from the taxation with no representation status of a British colony (and look at the situation now with OWS and politicians generally ignoring the will of the people).  Women and people without property were dienfranchised and African Americans were enslaved only considered a fraction of a human.

Canadians think they are peacekeepers and though we were involved in a number of UN peace keeping missions we were involved in Korea, the Suez crisis for which our PM Pearson got a Nobel peace prize, mercenaries in Viet Nam and now in Afghanistan and recently killing civilians and destroying infrastructure in Lybia.

I recall a conversation some 20 years back with an American philosophy student who claimed that we Canadians were so much better than Americans to which I replied we'd do the same if we had your power.  Recent war mongering and the role of Canadian corporations in mining in South America and destroying Canadian arboreal forest to get at tar sands and wanting to up production on this enormous CO2 generator by building a pipeline across an important US acquifer shows that we are not as peaceful and nice as we'd like to imagine ourselves.

The text you are quoting:

All countries have their myths and mythologies.  Hitler tried to create one, the US has its founding fathers who often seriously feuded on the ideas of what the nation should become e.g. different from the taxation with no representation status of a British colony (and look at the situation now with OWS and politicians generally ignoring the will of the people).  Women and people without property were dienfranchised and African Americans were enslaved only considered a fraction of a human.

Canadians think they are peacekeepers and though we were involved in a number of UN peace keeping missions we were involved in Korea, the Suez crisis for which our PM Pearson got a Nobel peace prize, mercenaries in Viet Nam and now in Afghanistan and recently killing civilians and destroying infrastructure in Lybia.

I recall a conversation some 20 years back with an American philosophy student who claimed that we Canadians were so much better than Americans to which I replied we'd do the same if we had your power.  Recent war mongering and the role of Canadian corporations in mining in South America and destroying Canadian arboreal forest to get at tar sands and wanting to up production on this enormous CO2 generator by building a pipeline across an important US acquifer shows that we are not as peaceful and nice as we'd like to imagine ourselves.

Marksist, Nov 22, 2011 @ 09:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
2 Replies | 2035 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form