Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Politics & Current Affairs > The Guardian: Payouts for 'Bloody Sunday' Victims' Families

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
The Guardian: Payouts for 'Bloody Sunday' Victims' Families

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/sep/22/bloody-sunday-victims-compensation

The text you are quoting:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/sep/22/bloody-sunday-victims-compensation

TranslatorSep 22, 2011 @ 11:04
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

2 Replies | 1947 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: The Guardian: Payouts for 'Bloody Sunday' Victims' Families
Post 1

I have seen a headline quote of "Too little, too late".  I didn't read the article and don't know to what the "too little" refers, but I can imagine family feel that any monetary compensation is too little in moral terms (even though Cameron and the MoD have apologised).

This story is so typical of injustices covered up, denied and sometimes finally given some covering by an inquiry lasting years and years.  Memories blur, witnesses and accused pass away etc.  One would hope that the compensation would be an everlasting promise, resolve and demonstration that such 'Bloody Sundays' won't happen again - but I'm not holding my breath.

I have seen a headline quote of "Too little, too late".  I didn't read the article and don't know to what the "too little" refers, but I can imagine family feel that any monetary compensation is too little in moral terms (even though Cameron and the MoD have apologised).

This story is so typical of injustices covered up, denied and sometimes finally given some covering by an inquiry lasting years and years.  Memories blur, witnesses and accused pass away etc.  One would hope that the compensation would be an everlasting promise, resolve and demonstration that such 'Bloody Sundays' won't happen again - but I'm not holding my breath.

Marksist, Sep 23, 2011 @ 06:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: The Guardian: Payouts for 'Bloody Sunday' Victims' Families
Post 2

all these apologies only ever come long after the corrupt political systems which made the admissions of guilt necessary in the first place have withered away and died. only then is it safe for the boys and girls in charge (because they are boys and girls, not men or women) to stand on podiums and tell us how terribly sorry they are, because the systems of power have nothing to lose and everything to gain (in terms of scoring diplomatic points) by yapping away about how awful it all was. 

that said, i think the apology made by the Prime Minister and the M.o.D. was important and very much appreciated by Irish people if only because it redefined the opinion of the ruling class in England as being more in line with the point of view of the vast majority regular English people who have no problem whatsoever with Irish people and never had. 

but i think the point about apologies only coming long after they were required is valid. the same British elite that thought Ireland belonged to them also introduced slavery to the colonies of what were later to become the united states. no apology for that so far. And more importantly reparations for African Americans are still pretty much off the table as far as US politics is concerned? Why? because that would involve systems of power actually relinquishing some of their ill-gained property in the name of justice. nope, can't have that! 

And of course given the day that's in it I think we should remember how one of the worlds most famous politicians -Mr. Netanyahu -personifies that spirit of injustice and an absolute refusal to acknowledge wrongdoing. if he did ever apologize he would be obliged to return real assets to brutalized people. see the amnesty link below for a (sadly) very up to date example of something that a future Isreali  head of state will be really apologetic for, once it doesn't cost the state anything. newsflash! this kind of behaviour isn't explainable in terms of ethnicity, it can only be understood by reading history, the strong always take advantage of the weak ('strong' and 'weak' relating to military not moral power of course). it's a character trait our race is struggling to do away with...

http://www.amnesty.org/en/news-and-updates/palestinians-left-homeless-israel-demolishes-west-bank-houses-2011-09-15

all these apologies only ever come long after the corrupt political systems which made the admissions of guilt necessary in the first place have withered away and died. only then is it safe for the boys and girls in charge (because they are boys and girls, not men or women) to stand on podiums and tell us how terribly sorry they are, because the systems of power have nothing to lose and everything to gain (in terms of scoring diplomatic points) by yapping away about how awful it all was. 

that said, i think the apology made by the Prime Minister and the M.o.D. was important and very much appreciated by Irish people if only because it redefined the opinion of the ruling class in England as being more in line with the point of view of the vast majority regular English people who have no problem whatsoever with Irish people and never had. 

but i think the point about apologies only coming long after they were required is valid. the same British elite that thought Ireland belonged to them also introduced slavery to the colonies of what were later to become the united states. no apology for that so far. And more importantly reparations for African Americans are still pretty much off the table as far as US politics is concerned? Why? because that would involve systems of power actually relinquishing some of their ill-gained property in the name of justice. nope, can't have that! 

And of course given the day that's in it I think we should remember how one of the worlds most famous politicians -Mr. Netanyahu -personifies that spirit of injustice and an absolute refusal to acknowledge wrongdoing. if he did ever apologize he would be obliged to return real assets to brutalized people. see the amnesty link below for a (sadly) very up to date example of something that a future Isreali  head of state will be really apologetic for, once it doesn't cost the state anything. newsflash! this kind of behaviour isn't explainable in terms of ethnicity, it can only be understood by reading history, the strong always take advantage of the weak ('strong' and 'weak' relating to military not moral power of course). it's a character trait our race is struggling to do away with...

http://www.amnesty.org/en/news-and-updates/palestinians-left-homeless-israel-demolishes-west-bank-houses-2011-09-15

manics1984, Sep 23, 2011 @ 08:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
2 Replies | 1947 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form