Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Reviews of Member Activities > theatre subtitles-share you experience

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
theatre subtitles-share you experience

Hi everyone, I am working on English subtitles for a theatre. Have you seen a show in a foreign language with subtitles? Did it work for you? Where was it projected? Thanks a lot for your comments!

The text you are quoting:

Hi everyone, I am working on English subtitles for a theatre. Have you seen a show in a foreign language with subtitles? Did it work for you? Where was it projected? Thanks a lot for your comments!

Olga TDec 20, 2016 @ 11:17
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

4 Replies | 2010 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: theatre subtitles-share you experience
Post 1

Hi Olga. Interesting question ...! i saw an Opera in Prague with very large subtitles above the stage. In my former job, i also organised many cultural events among which a French play (Stupeurs et tremblemnets) for a tour in Brasil,  15 different dates/cities.

We also chose the option of having the screen for subtitles above the stage in most theaters but this choice depends on  the infrastructure of the theater itself (roof structure and first of all the presence or absence of space between  the spotlights). When people are seated, they have to be able to read the subtitles comfortably without having to move their head too much and without being blinded by the spotlights.

The most demanding part was the timing, you have to calculate accurately the precise moment the subtitle has to be changed in order to avoid having the actors saying something and the subtitle being late or too much in advance. (It is worse to be late, a little in advance is less of a problem). In order to ease the timing, you can choose to translate as little as possible, as opposed to trying to translate everything. The non verbal comunication of good actors  will help people  understand what is going on and you dont want the public to  look at the screen only as if it were a film.... 

Hope that can help a little. Now i am curious about your play ! :=))

Hi Olga. Interesting question ...! i saw an Opera in Prague with very large subtitles above the stage. In my former job, i also organised many cultural events among which a French play (Stupeurs et tremblemnets) for a tour in Brasil,  15 different dates/cities.

We also chose the option of having the screen for subtitles above the stage in most theaters but this choice depends on  the infrastructure of the theater itself (roof structure and first of all the presence or absence of space between  the spotlights). When people are seated, they have to be able to read the subtitles comfortably without having to move their head too much and without being blinded by the spotlights.

The most demanding part was the timing, you have to calculate accurately the precise moment the subtitle has to be changed in order to avoid having the actors saying something and the subtitle being late or too much in advance. (It is worse to be late, a little in advance is less of a problem). In order to ease the timing, you can choose to translate as little as possible, as opposed to trying to translate everything. The non verbal comunication of good actors  will help people  understand what is going on and you dont want the public to  look at the screen only as if it were a film.... 

Hope that can help a little. Now i am curious about your play ! :=))

Chris c, Dec 21, 2016 @ 13:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

https://www.geneveopera.ch/fr/programmation/saison-16-17/la-boheme/

Here is agood example of subtitles in a foreign language those days in Geneva with an interesting cast !

By the way Olga, i forgot to mention, we used Power Point...easy and sufficient.

https://www.geneveopera.ch/fr/programmation/saison-16-17/la-boheme/

Here is agood example of subtitles in a foreign language those days in Geneva with an interesting cast !

By the way Olga, i forgot to mention, we used Power Point...easy and sufficient.

Chris c, Dec 27, 2016 @ 15:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi Chris! Thanks a lot! Have you seen La Boheme? It was really good. and subtitles worked quite well. Yes the challenge is the timing. I have not really found reading the subtitles uncomfortable even it was not really on the best perfect place. I am working on The robber's ball at the moment. I will try to put them as close to the stage as possible because last time it was a bit high...:) we will see what people say after...

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience!

Hi Chris! Thanks a lot! Have you seen La Boheme? It was really good. and subtitles worked quite well. Yes the challenge is the timing. I have not really found reading the subtitles uncomfortable even it was not really on the best perfect place. I am working on The robber's ball at the moment. I will try to put them as close to the stage as possible because last time it was a bit high...:) we will see what people say after...

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience!

Olga T, Jan 17, 2017 @ 16:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Bonjour Olga,

I could not go and see la Bohème unfortunately though it is my favourite. Sébastien Guèze (Rodolfo) is a friend of mine; i was sad not to be able to go. I also love the film (old now) with Barbara Hendricks, a very romantic version :=) !

Let us know when your play wil be in town ! :=)

Bonjour Olga,

I could not go and see la Bohème unfortunately though it is my favourite. Sébastien Guèze (Rodolfo) is a friend of mine; i was sad not to be able to go. I also love the film (old now) with Barbara Hendricks, a very romantic version :=) !

Let us know when your play wil be in town ! :=)

Chris c, Jan 17, 2017 @ 23:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
4 Replies | 2010 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form