Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Travel > Cycling around the lake - where to stop for the night

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Cycling around the lake - where to stop for the night

Hi all

My husband and a friend are taking two days to cycle around the lake this weekend. Any advice from people who have done it before on where is a good place to break and spend the night? They don't mind if the accommodation is basic, but ideally it would be somewhere scenic. (Could be hard to find a place that isn't pretty at this time of year?)

Any advice welcome!

Thanks

Nicola

The text you are quoting:

Hi all

My husband and a friend are taking two days to cycle around the lake this weekend. Any advice from people who have done it before on where is a good place to break and spend the night? They don't mind if the accommodation is basic, but ideally it would be somewhere scenic. (Could be hard to find a place that isn't pretty at this time of year?)

Any advice welcome!

Thanks

Nicola

Nicola WJun 19, 2018 @ 22:05
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 1261 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Cycling around the lake - where to stop for the night
Post 1

I've cycled around the lake before but did it over a day.

However, If I was to stop for a night, I would do it around Excenevex .

- It has a nice beach and a few restaurants.

- There are a couple of hotels / campings nearby. 

- It is roughly half way

If the accomodations there are a bit too pricey, then Thonon is a good alternative. 

Have fun ! 

I've cycled around the lake before but did it over a day.

However, If I was to stop for a night, I would do it around Excenevex .

- It has a nice beach and a few restaurants.

- There are a couple of hotels / campings nearby. 

- It is roughly half way

If the accomodations there are a bit too pricey, then Thonon is a good alternative. 

Have fun ! 

Seb G, Jun 20, 2018 @ 16:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Sorry, I meant Thonon is halfway if your starting ending point is Lausanne :-) 

In case you start from Geneva, then I suggest you stop in between St Gingolph and Evian. Meillerie can  be an option with nice view and a few places to eat.

Sorry, I meant Thonon is halfway if your starting ending point is Lausanne :-) 

In case you start from Geneva, then I suggest you stop in between St Gingolph and Evian. Meillerie can  be an option with nice view and a few places to eat.

Seb G, Jun 20, 2018 @ 16:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Thanks so much - that's exactly the advice they needed. They are happily making plans now...

Thanks so much - that's exactly the advice they needed. They are happily making plans now...

Nicola W, Jun 20, 2018 @ 21:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Or welcome to us in Evian! Lovely little town, also full of restaurants, wonderful views of the Lake, can recommend a not-expensive place to eat in the Rue Nationale, very close to the Art Nouveau Sources building.

PM me if you would like further information. Temperatures dropping slightly from the blisteringly hot 30, Sat/Sun due to be 23 or thereabouts. Big Vide Grenier on Sunday at the Parc Dolfus too, so they might pick up a few bargainsCool

Or welcome to us in Evian! Lovely little town, also full of restaurants, wonderful views of the Lake, can recommend a not-expensive place to eat in the Rue Nationale, very close to the Art Nouveau Sources building.

PM me if you would like further information. Temperatures dropping slightly from the blisteringly hot 30, Sat/Sun due to be 23 or thereabouts. Big Vide Grenier on Sunday at the Parc Dolfus too, so they might pick up a few bargainsCool

sheila c, Jun 21, 2018 @ 13:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Thanks Sheila- sounds great. They are leaving about now from Geneva and will want to get a bit further on for the night I think. But Evian is now definitely on their list for a lunch or coffee stop!

Thanks Sheila- sounds great. They are leaving about now from Geneva and will want to get a bit further on for the night I think. But Evian is now definitely on their list for a lunch or coffee stop!

Nicola W, Jun 22, 2018 @ 08:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Its possible to do in a day, we did it a few years a go over the day.

If you are to split it and do it more relaxed.  Theres campsites right at the end of the lake in the marsh lands around villeneuve which is really nice.  You could camp or probably hire something there.  Tour de peilz also has a really nice lake side campsite.

Otherwise and it depends which way round you cycle and I am assuming you leave from Geneva.  If you go anti clockwise, St Prex, Cully, Lutry all really nice villages slightly more than half way round that would be nice to stay and relax

Its possible to do in a day, we did it a few years a go over the day.

If you are to split it and do it more relaxed.  Theres campsites right at the end of the lake in the marsh lands around villeneuve which is really nice.  You could camp or probably hire something there.  Tour de peilz also has a really nice lake side campsite.

Otherwise and it depends which way round you cycle and I am assuming you leave from Geneva.  If you go anti clockwise, St Prex, Cully, Lutry all really nice villages slightly more than half way round that would be nice to stay and relax

peaky, Jun 22, 2018 @ 11:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
6 Replies | 1261 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form