Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Travel > New Zealand tips & suggestions wanted

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
New Zealand tips & suggestions wanted

I plan to spend 1 month in New Zealand flying probably to Southern island. I'm vegetarian/vegan and interested in nature, permaculture, alternative health & welness. I am looking for suggestions on places to visit, things to explore. Best / cheapest way to move around.

The cheapest flight is with China Southern with long layover in Canton. 

Thank you for tips and suggestions.

The text you are quoting:

I plan to spend 1 month in New Zealand flying probably to Southern island. I'm vegetarian/vegan and interested in nature, permaculture, alternative health & welness. I am looking for suggestions on places to visit, things to explore. Best / cheapest way to move around.

The cheapest flight is with China Southern with long layover in Canton. 

Thank you for tips and suggestions.

anushkaNov 29, 2017 @ 12:14
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

5 Replies | 1299 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: New Zealand tips & suggestions wanted
Post 1

Hi Anushka - you'll have a ball in New Zealand, particularly with your interests as they're generally into their alternative health/wellness/yoga/veganism etc., and are lovely lovely people.

South Island is stunning, but don't forget the "winterless North" which is quite different and more tropical than the South Island.  I lived in Whangarei for a few months (which is real wup-wup land!) and Auckland is great fun, Wellington not so, but worth crossing from the North Island to the South by boat - it's a stunning trip across the water.

South Island has the famous Fox Glacier, volcanos and "real" thermal baths and of course Christchurch and the mountains South of Christchurch.

I'm flying to Australia with China Southern and have heard that they're a very reputable airline however, Premium Economy is strongly recommended!  I'm also flying from London Heathrow which shaved another shed load off the price (and the ticket from GVA to LHR was only CHF60!!)

Hope that helps and have an amazing time! 

Hi Anushka - you'll have a ball in New Zealand, particularly with your interests as they're generally into their alternative health/wellness/yoga/veganism etc., and are lovely lovely people.

South Island is stunning, but don't forget the "winterless North" which is quite different and more tropical than the South Island.  I lived in Whangarei for a few months (which is real wup-wup land!) and Auckland is great fun, Wellington not so, but worth crossing from the North Island to the South by boat - it's a stunning trip across the water.

South Island has the famous Fox Glacier, volcanos and "real" thermal baths and of course Christchurch and the mountains South of Christchurch.

I'm flying to Australia with China Southern and have heard that they're a very reputable airline however, Premium Economy is strongly recommended!  I'm also flying from London Heathrow which shaved another shed load off the price (and the ticket from GVA to LHR was only CHF60!!)

Hope that helps and have an amazing time! 

Carolyn C, Nov 29, 2017 @ 16:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Thanks a lot Carolyn :-)

Thanks a lot Carolyn :-)

anushka, Nov 29, 2017 @ 20:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi Anushka

When are you going? The time of year makes a difference to what I'd recommend. It does rain a bit in winter...

I'm a NZer - I lived there almost all my life until coming to Geneva a couple of years ago. I've travelled around most of the country at various times, so have lots of thoughts for you. I'd be very happy to meet up for a coffee to give you some suggestions, if you'd like? Some must-do routes, and the best cafés to stop at along the way - I'm happily reminiscing already!

You will definitely have a good time - much of NZ is now very good for vegetarian/vegan food and we've certainly got lots of nature!

Cheers

Nicola

(And kia ora to Carolyn, from one of the (hopefully) "lovely lovely people"!)

Hi Anushka

When are you going? The time of year makes a difference to what I'd recommend. It does rain a bit in winter...

I'm a NZer - I lived there almost all my life until coming to Geneva a couple of years ago. I've travelled around most of the country at various times, so have lots of thoughts for you. I'd be very happy to meet up for a coffee to give you some suggestions, if you'd like? Some must-do routes, and the best cafés to stop at along the way - I'm happily reminiscing already!

You will definitely have a good time - much of NZ is now very good for vegetarian/vegan food and we've certainly got lots of nature!

Cheers

Nicola

(And kia ora to Carolyn, from one of the (hopefully) "lovely lovely people"!)

Nicola W, Nov 30, 2017 @ 08:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hi Nicola, Thanks a lot for your answer. I will be very happy to meet and hear your advice. Smile I'm away this weekend. Let me know when are you available from Monday on.

SmileSmile

Hi Nicola, Thanks a lot for your answer. I will be very happy to meet and hear your advice. Smile I'm away this weekend. Let me know when are you available from Monday on.

SmileSmile

anushka, Nov 30, 2017 @ 22:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Question about Money Exchange in New Zealland. What to do ?  Should I take swiss franks and exchange in ZN ? Where to do that in Christchurch ? Or should I exchange here and take NZ dolars ?

Question about Money Exchange in New Zealland. What to do ?  Should I take swiss franks and exchange in ZN ? Where to do that in Christchurch ? Or should I exchange here and take NZ dolars ?

anushka, Dec 16, 2017 @ 09:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
5 Replies | 1299 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form