Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Travel > One week around Lake Leman with family

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
One week around Lake Leman with family

Hello all, 

My family and I will be travelling to Geneva at the end of October, for a 1 week visit. We'll be based in Montreux and we want to explore as much of the area around Lake Leman as we can. What day trips from Montreux would you recommend? What weather should we expect for the end of October? What are the must do/see for families (we have an 8 year old child) that we should look into? 

Many thanks/merci bien, 

Anka

The text you are quoting:

Hello all, 

My family and I will be travelling to Geneva at the end of October, for a 1 week visit. We'll be based in Montreux and we want to explore as much of the area around Lake Leman as we can. What day trips from Montreux would you recommend? What weather should we expect for the end of October? What are the must do/see for families (we have an 8 year old child) that we should look into? 

Many thanks/merci bien, 

Anka

Anka BSep 1, 2022 @ 08:09
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

13 Replies | 3249 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: One week around Lake Leman with family
Post 1

Hi Anka,

Firstly you will need a car if you dont have one already, since the train can be tedious and expensive, albeit reliable.

The obilgatory castles at Montreux and Nyon come to mind... more info here : https://www.lake-geneva-switzerland.com/top-sights/historic-buildings/top-chateaux-castles-fortresses-on-lake-geneva/

It might be worth taking a day trip (hours drive) from Montreux to Evian... to see the spring, and evian museum and remember to take your water bottles for free top ups! its in France so remember Euros for the touristy t-shirts etc.

Taking a drive into Valais, and up to either Verbier or Nendaz and having a mountain walk... at nendaz especially there is a relatively flat route at 1400m that follows a former water stream along the mountains with a few opportunites at some chalet cafes to stop off for a hot chocolate and cake. its a beautiful walk with fabulous scenery. 

You could take a drive to Nyon and take a ferry to Yvoire, a historic french village, very pretty, but very touristy.

The website posted above has many more suggestions.

Enjoy the area. 

Hi Anka,

Firstly you will need a car if you dont have one already, since the train can be tedious and expensive, albeit reliable.

The obilgatory castles at Montreux and Nyon come to mind... more info here : https://www.lake-geneva-switzerland.com/top-sights/historic-buildings/top-chateaux-castles-fortresses-on-lake-geneva/

It might be worth taking a day trip (hours drive) from Montreux to Evian... to see the spring, and evian museum and remember to take your water bottles for free top ups! its in France so remember Euros for the touristy t-shirts etc.

Taking a drive into Valais, and up to either Verbier or Nendaz and having a mountain walk... at nendaz especially there is a relatively flat route at 1400m that follows a former water stream along the mountains with a few opportunites at some chalet cafes to stop off for a hot chocolate and cake. its a beautiful walk with fabulous scenery. 

You could take a drive to Nyon and take a ferry to Yvoire, a historic french village, very pretty, but very touristy.

Enjoy the area. 

Charlie, Sep 2, 2022 @ 13:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi Anka,

Enjoy the area. 

Sep 2, 22 13:05

Heres a link to the walks at Nendaz :

https://www.nendaz.ch/en/V2621/hike-bisse-de-saxon

Heres a link to the walks at Nendaz :

https://www.nendaz.ch/en/V2621/hike-bisse-de-saxon

Charlie, Sep 2, 2022 @ 13:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi Charlie, 

Thanks for your detailed reply. We've also been thinking about going to Evian - the pictures look really beautiful. Any views on Vevey? Is it worth a half day trip? It's a real bummer to hear that (even) in Switzerland trains can be "tedious and expensive, albeit reliable". Well, I am aware of the expensive part, however hearing they're also unreliable comes a bit as a surprise.  Whatever happened to the (famous) Swiss efficiency?! 

Anyway, thanks again for kindly taking time to answer my thread. Much appreciated! 

Anka

Hi Charlie, 

Thanks for your detailed reply. We've also been thinking about going to Evian - the pictures look really beautiful. Any views on Vevey? Is it worth a half day trip? It's a real bummer to hear that (even) in Switzerland trains can be "tedious and expensive, albeit reliable". Well, I am aware of the expensive part, however hearing they're also unreliable comes a bit as a surprise.  Whatever happened to the (famous) Swiss efficiency?! 

Anyway, thanks again for kindly taking time to answer my thread. Much appreciated! 

Anka

Anka B, Sep 2, 2022 @ 19:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hi Charlie, 

Anka

Sep 2, 22 19:40

Anka I think you misunderstood me...."albeit reliable" means they are reliable.

Prices for example: Montreux to Evian CHF35- for an adult one way 2nd class. it takes 1hr 35 mins.

Montreux to Geneva is about CHF31- per adult. 

Kids under 6 yrs travel for free, from 6 to 16 at half price.

As to the "tedious", what I mean is you're bound to the timetable, as compared to fully flexible with a car.

Vevey is almost next door to Montreux... it has the Charly Chaplain museum I think. Lausanne has the Olympic museum, as its where the IOC is headquartered.

Anka I think you misunderstood me...."albeit reliable" means they are reliable.

Prices for example: Montreux to Evian CHF35- for an adult one way 2nd class. it takes 1hr 35 mins.

Montreux to Geneva is about CHF31- per adult. 

Kids under 6 yrs travel for free, from 6 to 16 at half price.

As to the "tedious", what I mean is you're bound to the timetable, as compared to fully flexible with a car.

Vevey is almost next door to Montreux... it has the Charly Chaplain museum I think. Lausanne has the Olympic museum, as its where the IOC is headquartered.

Charlie, Sep 3, 2022 @ 16:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

. it has the Charly Chaplain museum I think. Lausanne has the Olympic museum, as its where the IOC is headquartered.

Indeed, greatest museum I've ever seen

. it has the Charly Chaplain museum I think. Lausanne has the Olympic museum, as its where the IOC is headquartered.

Indeed, greatest museum I've ever seen

Michel D, Sep 3, 2022 @ 19:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Another worthwhile attraction in Vevey is the “Alimentarian” museum where you see lots of household foodstuffs in different types of packaging.

It’s quite a while since I was last there but they used to offer small samples of various goodies.  Perhaps best to check the website for opening hours and entrance fees.

Another worthwhile attraction in Vevey is the “Alimentarian” museum where you see lots of household foodstuffs in different types of packaging.

It’s quite a while since I was last there but they used to offer small samples of various goodies.  Perhaps best to check the website for opening hours and entrance fees.

Ritchie, Sep 3, 2022 @ 19:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Charlie, apologies for misreading your comment on Swiss trains (I think I got a bit sidetracked by the recommendation to use a car), but .. (uff!) .. what a relief to hear that trains are indeed reliable. 

Thanks for the recomendations on Vevey and Lausanne. I was wondering if taking the (Golden?!) train to Gruyere might be worth a trip? Not really keen on too much cheese or chocolate tasting, but the town and the surrounding area do look pretty. 

Best wishes from (overcast) London!

Anka

Charlie, apologies for misreading your comment on Swiss trains (I think I got a bit sidetracked by the recommendation to use a car), but .. (uff!) .. what a relief to hear that trains are indeed reliable. 

Thanks for the recomendations on Vevey and Lausanne. I was wondering if taking the (Golden?!) train to Gruyere might be worth a trip? Not really keen on too much cheese or chocolate tasting, but the town and the surrounding area do look pretty. 

Anka

Anka B, Sep 6, 2022 @ 15:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Michael, thanks for your comment on Lausanne! How long should I allocate for visiting the IOC museum? I know there are museums (which you can visit in less than an hour) and then museums (like some in London) - which take half a day or longer to visit. 

Many thanks, 

Anka

Michael, thanks for your comment on Lausanne! How long should I allocate for visiting the IOC museum? I know there are museums (which you can visit in less than an hour) and then museums (like some in London) - which take half a day or longer to visit. 

Many thanks, 

Anka

Anka B, Sep 6, 2022 @ 15:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Hi Ritchie, 

Thanks for suggesting a visit to the Alimentarium museum - it's something I have in mind for the day we'd be spending in Vevey. I do hope for good weather, as I am hoping for a (long) walk around the town - very pretty from what I've seen in the pictures!

Best,

Anka

Hi Ritchie, 

Thanks for suggesting a visit to the Alimentarium museum - it's something I have in mind for the day we'd be spending in Vevey. I do hope for good weather, as I am hoping for a (long) walk around the town - very pretty from what I've seen in the pictures!

Best,

Anka

Anka B, Sep 6, 2022 @ 15:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Anka

Sep 6, 22 15:17

You can’t really escape cheese and chocolate in CH. There’s an awful lot of both wherever you go but one can get accustomed and indifferent to the sales patter

The railways also have their hiccups but compared to many other networks they’re a good buy.

You can’t really escape cheese and chocolate in CH. There’s an awful lot of both wherever you go but one can get accustomed and indifferent to the sales patter

The railways also have their hiccups but compared to many other networks they’re a good buy.

Ritchie, Sep 6, 2022 @ 16:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

In my view the Olympic Museum (which is on the lakeside in Ouchy) deserves at least two hours.

Also, the restaurant/cafeteria used to be very good and the view from its terrace on a clear day shouldn’t be missed.

Chillon is also a must for its location and maintenance, history, and knowable friendly staff.

All the best, Ritchie

In my view the Olympic Museum (which is on the lakeside in Ouchy) deserves at least two hours.

Also, the restaurant/cafeteria used to be very good and the view from its terrace on a clear day shouldn’t be missed.

Chillon is also a must for its location and maintenance, history, and knowable friendly staff.

All the best, Ritchie

Ritchie, Sep 6, 2022 @ 19:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Many thanks, 

Anka

Sep 6, 22 15:19

You're welcome , the comment on lausanne was from Charlie, I copied/pasted his comment and commented further on the Chaplin' s museum. 

From my point of view half a day isn't enough to visit that one ! you have the house , the studio, and a wonderfull park !, 

You're welcome , the comment on lausanne was from Charlie, I copied/pasted his comment and commented further on the Chaplin' s museum. 

From my point of view half a day isn't enough to visit that one ! you have the house , the studio, and a wonderfull park !, 

Michel D, Sep 6, 2022 @ 20:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Hi all! Just to report back that our trip to Lake Leman delivered beyond our expectations. We were lucky to be there during a very nice and sunny week. Been to all the notable places between Geneva and Montreux (including Lausanne and Vevey). Ticked the Chillon castle box as well. We've also has an amazing time in Gruyeres (took the Panoramic Express Belle epoque - what a unique experience) and fell in love with Gstaad during a day-trip there. I wanted to say thank you again to all of you for the great ideas/suggestions before the trip. I honestly cannot wait for a chance to return. Hope you're all good and cheery! 

Hi all! Just to report back that our trip to Lake Leman delivered beyond our expectations. We were lucky to be there during a very nice and sunny week. Been to all the notable places between Geneva and Montreux (including Lausanne and Vevey). Ticked the Chillon castle box as well. We've also has an amazing time in Gruyeres (took the Panoramic Express Belle epoque - what a unique experience) and fell in love with Gstaad during a day-trip there. I wanted to say thank you again to all of you for the great ideas/suggestions before the trip. I honestly cannot wait for a chance to return. Hope you're all good and cheery! 

Anka B, Nov 19, 2022 @ 23:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
13 Replies | 3249 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form