Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Travel > Sri Lanka

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Sri Lanka

Thinking of going to Sri Lanka the first two weeks in January 2019. Does anyone have any tips or special dos and donts please? All information welcome - thanks in advance.

PS have Lonely Planet Guide for what it is worth

The text you are quoting:

Thinking of going to Sri Lanka the first two weeks in January 2019. Does anyone have any tips or special dos and donts please? All information welcome - thanks in advance.

PS have Lonely Planet Guide for what it is worth

sheila cAug 24, 2018 @ 17:24
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

16 Replies | 2292 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Sri Lanka
Post 1

Hi Shella,

I have been around 30 times to Sri Lanka, so I can give you some tips, even the advice from Lonely Planet are good...

My  spot is Hikkaduwa, for me it's the most beautifull beach of the West coast.

Unawatuna was really beautifull 20 years ago, it's hard for me to go back there... they have all destroyed....

Galle Fort worth the value, at least for visit...

hiriketiya start to become popular. It was untouch for years, it was my secret spot !

Tangalla was a really nice beach, haven't been there for a while...

Mirissa... don't know how it look today after governement decided to destroy all the illegal places...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysaI6uQnqL0

And the other spot in land worth the value, specially Sigiriya, Dambula, World Ends, Kandy botanical Garden, and the train journey between Kandy and Ella, just amazing !!

Also, if you need a driver, or tour operator and can recommend you a really nice and serious guy.

Hope these informations help you !

Have a nice day !

Michel

Hi Shella,

I have been around 30 times to Sri Lanka, so I can give you some tips, even the advice from Lonely Planet are good...

My  spot is Hikkaduwa, for me it's the most beautifull beach of the West coast.

Unawatuna was really beautifull 20 years ago, it's hard for me to go back there... they have all destroyed....

Galle Fort worth the value, at least for visit...

hiriketiya start to become popular. It was untouch for years, it was my secret spot !

Tangalla was a really nice beach, haven't been there for a while...

Mirissa... don't know how it look today after governement decided to destroy all the illegal places...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysaI6uQnqL0

And the other spot in land worth the value, specially Sigiriya, Dambula, World Ends, Kandy botanical Garden, and the train journey between Kandy and Ella, just amazing !!

Also, if you need a driver, or tour operator and can recommend you a really nice and serious guy.

Hope these informations help you !

Have a nice day !

Michel

Mitch O, Oct 26, 2018 @ 08:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Many thanks Michel, this is most interesting.

However we do not like beaches or beach culture but are more interested in actual customs and culture of the country. Will speak to my OH and if we decide we are definitely going to SL, will send you a PM = thanks again!

Sheila

Many thanks Michel, this is most interesting.

However we do not like beaches or beach culture but are more interested in actual customs and culture of the country. Will speak to my OH and if we decide we are definitely going to SL, will send you a PM = thanks again!

Sheila

sheila c, Oct 26, 2018 @ 12:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi, we recently went to Sri Lanka for the first time end of August, a little out of season for westerners, but perfect weather around 32 degrees (and hardly any rain, only a shower or two in the evening). We did not go for the beaches however but we have friends who regularly visit in our winter time for the beach life. For me the culture, food,  history, Buddhism and wild life of Sri Lanka is just amazing.  From my part I can only say that I encountered graciousness and honesty from the people. You do however need a driver/chauffeur in order to get around as the roads are not the best. I too can give you details should you decide to go.  I travelled with my 22 year old daughter and as two women we had no issues at all. I might add that dressing accordingly is very important.

My favourite places; Sigiriya (was on my bucket list) thoroughly lived up to my expectations and was so happy to have conquered its peak.  Pinnawala is an elephant fairytale where you can experience first hand the twice daily bathing experience in the river of the “orphans” from the local sanctuary. Actually you don’t need to visit the orphanage as the river experience is something you will cherish. The wild life safaris are well worth doing and the opportunity to observe the elephants from close range is something special.  The next time we’ll visit the north to see Kandy, the famous Relic of the holy tooth of Buddha festival, the tea plantations and mountainous area. The train journey mentioned in previous post is supposedly well worth it.

Happy holiday planning!

Hi, we recently went to Sri Lanka for the first time end of August, a little out of season for westerners, but perfect weather around 32 degrees (and hardly any rain, only a shower or two in the evening). We did not go for the beaches however but we have friends who regularly visit in our winter time for the beach life. For me the culture, food,  history, Buddhism and wild life of Sri Lanka is just amazing.  From my part I can only say that I encountered graciousness and honesty from the people. You do however need a driver/chauffeur in order to get around as the roads are not the best. I too can give you details should you decide to go.  I travelled with my 22 year old daughter and as two women we had no issues at all. I might add that dressing accordingly is very important.

My favourite places; Sigiriya (was on my bucket list) thoroughly lived up to my expectations and was so happy to have conquered its peak.  Pinnawala is an elephant fairytale where you can experience first hand the twice daily bathing experience in the river of the “orphans” from the local sanctuary. Actually you don’t need to visit the orphanage as the river experience is something you will cherish. The wild life safaris are well worth doing and the opportunity to observe the elephants from close range is something special.  The next time we’ll visit the north to see Kandy, the famous Relic of the holy tooth of Buddha festival, the tea plantations and mountainous area. The train journey mentioned in previous post is supposedly well worth it.

Happy holiday planning!

Glenys M, Oct 27, 2018 @ 10:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

This is really very helpful - thank you. We have to go early January as this will be our GW. But at present are still deciding whether to make this epic voyage or not. However, your input is greatly appreciated.Kiss

This is really very helpful - thank you. We have to go early January as this will be our GW. But at present are still deciding whether to make this epic voyage or not. However, your input is greatly appreciated.Kiss

sheila c, Oct 27, 2018 @ 12:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Couple of tips based on my and my friend's experience

-use train rather than buses to move between cities

-watch out what you eat and have any stomach pills prepared

-Elle is great if you love nature, you can find secret waterfalls if you ask locals with a machete

-the cheapest white tea you can buy in specialized tea shops in Colombo in a shopping center

-Sri Lanka is rather safe, however if you are a woman is better to be with a man most of time

Couple of tips based on my and my friend's experience

-use train rather than buses to move between cities

-watch out what you eat and have any stomach pills prepared

-Elle is great if you love nature, you can find secret waterfalls if you ask locals with a machete

-the cheapest white tea you can buy in specialized tea shops in Colombo in a shopping center

-Sri Lanka is rather safe, however if you are a woman is better to be with a man most of time

Kris R, Oct 27, 2018 @ 23:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

I would like to suggest that you ask your doctor for advice on malaria and dengue fever immunization.

If need be, update your tetanus protection.

Include Immodium and mosquito-repellant in your luggage plus any other regular medication, prescriptions, etc.

I’m told that the supply of imported goods is now much better than it was but may not always be available outside the main towns and centres.

Best wishes, R.

I would like to suggest that you ask your doctor for advice on malaria and dengue fever immunization.

If need be, update your tetanus protection.

Include Immodium and mosquito-repellant in your luggage plus any other regular medication, prescriptions, etc.

I’m told that the supply of imported goods is now much better than it was but may not always be available outside the main towns and centres.

Best wishes, R.

Ritchie, Oct 28, 2018 @ 01:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Super responses guys and gals - thank you. Will post again if we do decide to go finally.Cool

Super responses guys and gals - thank you. Will post again if we do decide to go finally.Cool

sheila c, Oct 28, 2018 @ 20:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

https://flashpack.com/adventure-trips/sri-lanka-group-adventure/

https://flashpack.com/adventure-trips/sri-lanka-group-adventure/

Maria M, Oct 29, 2018 @ 08:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Thank you Maria but we are considerably older than the proposed age-groups.

In fact, we are celebrating our Golden Wedding, which probably gives you a clue!

Thank you Maria but we are considerably older than the proposed age-groups.

In fact, we are celebrating our Golden Wedding, which probably gives you a clue!

sheila c, Oct 29, 2018 @ 11:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Hi again everyone

just seen this on the on-line BBC website = doesn't look very good for those planning a holiday!!!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-46010487

Hi again everyone

just seen this on the on-line BBC website = doesn't look very good for those planning a holiday!!!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-46010487

sheila c, Oct 29, 2018 @ 13:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Sheila,

Actually, there is an event organized by Sri Lankan buddist organisation this week. If you want to join, I can check with my friend. That way you can get info from the source.

Sheila,

Actually, there is an event organized by Sri Lankan buddist organisation this week. If you want to join, I can check with my friend. That way you can get info from the source.

Kris R, Oct 29, 2018 @ 21:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Sheila,

Oct 29, 18 21:42

Thanks for this Kris...... we are still undecided. Never procrastinated as much previously over holidays. Wonder what is really holding us back?

Thanks for this Kris...... we are still undecided. Never procrastinated as much previously over holidays. Wonder what is really holding us back?

sheila c, Nov 7, 2018 @ 17:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

I am thinking about Pakistan next year. Can be also interesting...

I am thinking about Pakistan next year. Can be also interesting...

Kris R, Nov 7, 2018 @ 23:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

A BIG THANK YOU to everyone who contributed to this thread with their invaluable advice, both on the website and privately. We appreciate your input and your experience.

We have now booked and are going to SL to celebrate our Golden Wedding on 04/01/19.

The tour lasts 15 days and is a mixture of home-stays, hotels, bungalows and ego-lodges.

We have booked through a very accommodating and efficient agency called TourRader, who speak excellent English. We will fly with Etihad from Geneva to Colombo via Abu Dhabi.

Let's hope it all works like a charm so that we can really enjoy our special celebration.

A BIG THANK YOU to everyone who contributed to this thread with their invaluable advice, both on the website and privately. We appreciate your input and your experience.

We have now booked and are going to SL to celebrate our Golden Wedding on 04/01/19.

The tour lasts 15 days and is a mixture of home-stays, hotels, bungalows and ego-lodges.

We have booked through a very accommodating and efficient agency called TourRader, who speak excellent English. We will fly with Etihad from Geneva to Colombo via Abu Dhabi.

Let's hope it all works like a charm so that we can really enjoy our special celebration.

sheila c, Nov 10, 2018 @ 17:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

"....The tour lasts 15 days and is a mixture of home-stays, hotels, bungalows and ego-lodges."

Typo? Freudian slip? or is there really such a thing?

"....The tour lasts 15 days and is a mixture of home-stays, hotels, bungalows and ego-lodges."

Typo? Freudian slip? or is there really such a thing?

JR M, Nov 10, 2018 @ 23:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Sorry...... eco-lodges - whatever they are, but we'll find out wont we?

Sorry...... eco-lodges - whatever they are, but we'll find out wont we?

sheila c, Nov 11, 2018 @ 08:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
16 Replies | 2292 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form