Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Travel > TMB - camping

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
TMB - camping

My wife and I will be going next week to camp along the TMB, and I have a few questions if anyone has experience. For background, we trekked in Peru on the Salktantay trail (5 days) and last year summited Kilimanjaro. 

-Can we just show up at a refuge and buy dinner (and maybe a shower) if we are camping? I know there are a few that refuse campers, but from what I've read, many are fine with selling just a meal. Do they sell lunches to pack? We will probably bring a few freeze dried meals, but just wondering if we wanted a more civilized dinner

-if weather is awful, do you think refuges will have rooms available? We don't want to book rooms in advance if we don't need them, but the problem with weather is that it's unpredictable!

-How much cash is recommended to carry? I assume most refuges only take cash

-Weather right now seems varied, all the way from freezing to hot. We have both 0 degree (F) and 30 degree (F) sleeping bags - I don't think we'll need the 0 degree, but better safe than sorry?

-It seems like water is plentiful along the way and most people carry about a liter at a time. Should we bring a water filtration system or tablets?

-anything else we should be thinking about?

The text you are quoting:

My wife and I will be going next week to camp along the TMB, and I have a few questions if anyone has experience. For background, we trekked in Peru on the Salktantay trail (5 days) and last year summited Kilimanjaro. 

-Can we just show up at a refuge and buy dinner (and maybe a shower) if we are camping? I know there are a few that refuse campers, but from what I've read, many are fine with selling just a meal. Do they sell lunches to pack? We will probably bring a few freeze dried meals, but just wondering if we wanted a more civilized dinner

-if weather is awful, do you think refuges will have rooms available? We don't want to book rooms in advance if we don't need them, but the problem with weather is that it's unpredictable!

-How much cash is recommended to carry? I assume most refuges only take cash

-Weather right now seems varied, all the way from freezing to hot. We have both 0 degree (F) and 30 degree (F) sleeping bags - I don't think we'll need the 0 degree, but better safe than sorry?

-It seems like water is plentiful along the way and most people carry about a liter at a time. Should we bring a water filtration system or tablets?

-anything else we should be thinking about?

Chris PAug 1, 2014 @ 16:27
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

1 Replies | 1708 Views      |  Send to friend

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Re: TMB - camping
Post 1

there are few things you should keep in mind. If you are considering about wild camping that it is prohibited in all the valleys surrounding the Mont-Blanc Chamonix,Switzerland and Italian sides. But normally you shouldn't have any problem. Just keep in mind one thing, Keep the place clean and (don't make a fire pit). 

Most probably you should be fine buying food from the campers place(but always carry something to eat for the worst case scenario). 

Most probably you have to look at your trail(all the refuges available on the trail. mark them and see if they have any website or contact number. Best thing is always ask them before what if you get a room on spot.)

Water from the mountains are pretty good! Comes straight from the mountains. It has been almost 3 years. i have done so many campings never had a problem with the water and i drink water same like mountain goats! Always try to drink from the big water flowing source! 

The text you are quoting:

there are few things you should keep in mind. If you are considering about wild camping that it is prohibited in all the valleys surrounding the Mont-Blanc Chamonix,Switzerland and Italian sides. But normally you shouldn't have any problem. Just keep in mind one thing, Keep the place clean and (don't make a fire pit). 

Most probably you should be fine buying food from the campers place(but always carry something to eat for the worst case scenario). 

Most probably you have to look at your trail(all the refuges available on the trail. mark them and see if they have any website or contact number. Best thing is always ask them before what if you get a room on spot.)

Water from the mountains are pretty good! Comes straight from the mountains. It has been almost 3 years. i have done so many campings never had a problem with the water and i drink water same like mountain goats! Always try to drink from the big water flowing source! 

waqas s, Aug 1, 2014 @ 17:39
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin
1 Replies | 1708 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form