Login or Sign Up

Forums in Zurich > Zurich > Advice on border controls please!

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Advice on border controls please!
 Dear all
I am moving to Zug with my husband in a van (sounds odd ...)  Anyway, we are already pretty much boxed up, having recently moved to Germany from London.  However, we have been advised that the Swiss border controls are extremely stringent and that we have to have very detailed details of box contents, value, etc.  Any advice on the level of detail required would be very gratefully received.  Thank you!  Nicola
The text you are quoting:
 Dear all
I am moving to Zug with my husband in a van (sounds odd ...)  Anyway, we are already pretty much boxed up, having recently moved to Germany from London.  However, we have been advised that the Swiss border controls are extremely stringent and that we have to have very detailed details of box contents, value, etc.  Any advice on the level of detail required would be very gratefully received.  Thank you!  Nicola

NicolaSchulzAug 15, 2009 @ 16:31
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

4 Replies | 1585 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Advice on border controls please!
Post 1
 You may want to read this
page:http://www.ezv.admin.ch/zollinfo_privat/zu_beachten/00352/index.html?
lang=de
It's actually a FAQ here.Basically, they won't
count socks or underwear or charge you for mis-counting the number of 5-dollar t-
shirts.Expensive fur-coats is something different.Don't "overlook" one of
those.Also: TV, HiFi, anything else expensive (like stamp-
collections).

Rainer
 You may want to read this
page:http://www.ezv.admin.ch/zollinfo_privat/zu_beachten/00352/index.html?
lang=de
It's actually a FAQ here.Basically, they won't
count socks or underwear or charge you for mis-counting the number of 5-dollar t-
shirts.Expensive fur-coats is something different.Don't "overlook" one of
those.Also: TV, HiFi, anything else expensive (like stamp-
collections).

Rainer
rainer_d, Aug 16, 2009 @ 23:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
Hi Rainer
Thank s very much for your tips and web address - very useful.  Sadly, I do not own a mink coat yet but will put off purchasing one until after my arrival!!!
Best
Nicola
Hi Rainer
Thank s very much for your tips and web address - very useful.  Sadly, I do not own a mink coat yet but will put off purchasing one until after my arrival!!!
Best
Nicola

NicolaSchulz, Aug 17, 2009 @ 11:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
I recently imported my stuff from Australia and didn't have an inventory list.  I wrote a letter stating that the goods had been in my ownership for several years and that consisted of general household effects. 

I am not recommending this cause of action but if the goods are yours and you are willing to declare such then most customs will be reasonable.  If you turn up with brand new boxes of household effect that clearly haven't been pre-loved, then I guess you'll be in trouble. 

Paul
I recently imported my stuff from Australia and didn't have an inventory list.  I wrote a letter stating that the goods had been in my ownership for several years and that consisted of general household effects. 

I am not recommending this cause of action but if the goods are yours and you are willing to declare such then most customs will be reasonable.  If you turn up with brand new boxes of household effect that clearly haven't been pre-loved, then I guess you'll be in trouble. 

Paul

Paul_UK, Aug 17, 2009 @ 16:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
Thanks Paul - it would definitely make life easier your way!  I hope that you are enjoying Switzerland and cannot wait to get there.
Best
Nicola
Thanks Paul - it would definitely make life easier your way!  I hope that you are enjoying Switzerland and cannot wait to get there.
Best
Nicola

NicolaSchulz, Aug 17, 2009 @ 17:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
4 Replies | 1585 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form