Login or Sign Up

Forums in Zurich > Zurich > Where to live in Zurich?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Where to live in Zurich?
My husband and I are moving to Zurich in October. I will be spending a week there at the beginning of September, looking at apartments. I have no idea where to look? we've checked out the Homegate website... but was just wondering if anyone can suggest where the nicest/best area in Zurich is to live (Close to centre of course!) ... or if anyone has any advice on apartments...

we're looking for a 2 to 3 room apartment for around $2000 mth. Any advice would be really appreciated.
The text you are quoting:
My husband and I are moving to Zurich in October. I will be spending a week there at the beginning of September, looking at apartments. I have no idea where to look? we've checked out the Homegate website... but was just wondering if anyone can suggest where the nicest/best area in Zurich is to live (Close to centre of course!) ... or if anyone has any advice on apartments...

we're looking for a 2 to 3 room apartment for around $2000 mth. Any advice would be really appreciated.
GCDMAug 4, 2009 @ 13:51
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 15865 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Where to live in Zurich?
Post 1
Having lived and worked in Zurich for 16 years before moving to Berne, I can only suggest to bypass Zurich altogether and move directly to Berne.
Having lived and worked in Zurich for 16 years before moving to Berne, I can only suggest to bypass Zurich altogether and move directly to Berne.
whoopster, Aug 4, 2009 @ 14:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
District 8, 6, 2 are pretty central...

I live in Wallisellen though...11 minutes train ride from the centre...good value for money!
District 8, 6, 2 are pretty central...

I live in Wallisellen though...11 minutes train ride from the centre...good value for money!
Ehsaan, Aug 4, 2009 @ 15:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
Cities with low taxes usually feature high rents.
It's a trade-off, obviously. The more you earn, the less rent is a concern and the more you profit from low taxes.

homegate has a tax-calculator for this purpose.
You can also take a look at www.comparis.ch, which also has a nice search-interface for flats/houses.

Cities with low taxes usually feature high rents.
It's a trade-off, obviously. The more you earn, the less rent is a concern and the more you profit from low taxes.

homegate has a tax-calculator for this purpose.
You can also take a look at www.comparis.ch, which also has a nice search-interface for flats/houses.

rainer_d, Aug 19, 2009 @ 14:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

It depends what kind of thing u are looking for, but since you say central I'm going to unleash my impressions of the 8 central kreis:es (districts) of Zurich. Please note: this isn't particularly thought out or knowledgeable, but is honest:

Here's a map of them: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f4/Karte_Zurcher_Stadt.png

Kreis 1: Nice if you want to live in a 16th century townhouse, the tourists would get very annoying though and I reckon 2000CHF won't get you much. Some of the quieter back streets are incredibly charming though.

Kreis 2: Quiet, leafy, posh, Wagner used to live there, houses with towers. Best museum in Zurich is there though, the Rietberg. And in Bahnhof Enge you can buy groceries on a Sunday.

Kreis 3: Down to Earth, get the feeling there are actually locals living here that grew up there so sense of community. Quite a few cool small cafes and bars. I live there, it rocks (not bcos I live there, I just like it).

Kreis 4: Some areas similar to Kreis 3, some other areas are (to most foreigners) slightly more run down that the rest of Zurich or (according to some Swiss people I've met) dangerous hotbeds of drugs, prosititution and indiscriminate violence, think The Wire in Swiss German.

Kreis 5: Feels the most cosmopolitan of the kreises, lots of places to go out, cultually diverse, art galleries in disused factories, gyms in disused factories, theates in disused factories, nightclubs in disused factories (it is the industrial quarter after all). However not the cosiest place to live.

Kreis 6: Not too sure, it's probably alright, looks fairly residential, probably good to live there if you work at ETH or University.

Kreis 7: Not even going to pretend to know about kreis 7. Probably quite nice views?

Kresi 8: When I was looking for an appartment a wealthy looking, aloof, middle-aged lady informed me that this was the 'nicest' area in Zurich. I find it cold, over-manicured and snooty. It'll be expensive as well so why bother.

It's not easy finding appartments in ZH but in my experience perseverence does pay off, good luck!

It depends what kind of thing u are looking for, but since you say central I'm going to unleash my impressions of the 8 central kreis:es (districts) of Zurich. Please note: this isn't particularly thought out or knowledgeable, but is honest:

Here's a map of them: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f4/Karte_Zurcher_Stadt.png

Kreis 1: Nice if you want to live in a 16th century townhouse, the tourists would get very annoying though and I reckon 2000CHF won't get you much. Some of the quieter back streets are incredibly charming though.

Kreis 2: Quiet, leafy, posh, Wagner used to live there, houses with towers. Best museum in Zurich is there though, the Rietberg. And in Bahnhof Enge you can buy groceries on a Sunday.

Kreis 3: Down to Earth, get the feeling there are actually locals living here that grew up there so sense of community. Quite a few cool small cafes and bars. I live there, it rocks (not bcos I live there, I just like it).

Kreis 4: Some areas similar to Kreis 3, some other areas are (to most foreigners) slightly more run down that the rest of Zurich or (according to some Swiss people I've met) dangerous hotbeds of drugs, prosititution and indiscriminate violence, think The Wire in Swiss German.

Kreis 5: Feels the most cosmopolitan of the kreises, lots of places to go out, cultually diverse, art galleries in disused factories, gyms in disused factories, theates in disused factories, nightclubs in disused factories (it is the industrial quarter after all). However not the cosiest place to live.

Kreis 6: Not too sure, it's probably alright, looks fairly residential, probably good to live there if you work at ETH or University.

Kreis 7: Not even going to pretend to know about kreis 7. Probably quite nice views?

Kresi 8: When I was looking for an appartment a wealthy looking, aloof, middle-aged lady informed me that this was the 'nicest' area in Zurich. I find it cold, over-manicured and snooty. It'll be expensive as well so why bother.

It's not easy finding appartments in ZH but in my experience perseverence does pay off, good luck!

rich_t, Aug 30, 2009 @ 20:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Aug 30, 09 20:56
Thanks for this post. We're moving to Zurich at the end of December.
Thanks for this post. We're moving to Zurich at the end of December.

Marz, Nov 2, 2009 @ 17:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
 Hi guys,

I am
 Hi guys,