Login or Sign Up

Forums in Zurich > Zurich > what's good about zürich?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
what's good about zürich?

hi!

i would be interested in knowing what you zürich expats think about zürich - what are the best/worst things about your city, is it nicer than geneva, what's the cultural life like etc?

and does anyone happen to know what it's like for theatres and theatre companies in zürich - are they suffering heavily financially or is it possible to find a job in this field there (on the set)?

would be very grateful for any information!

cheers,

charlotta

The text you are quoting:

hi!

i would be interested in knowing what you zürich expats think about zürich - what are the best/worst things about your city, is it nicer than geneva, what's the cultural life like etc?

and does anyone happen to know what it's like for theatres and theatre companies in zürich - are they suffering heavily financially or is it possible to find a job in this field there (on the set)?

would be very grateful for any information!

cheers,

charlotta

charlottaFeb 11, 2010 @ 13:13
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

7 Replies | 3564 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: what's good about zürich?
Post 1

Hey! I guess "what's good about Zurich" is a matter of opinion, but what I like about it (after only living here for a few months) is that it's quiet and peaceful during the day, but has a great nightlife. I also love the area around the lake, with the views of the alps... it really has everything here...

Hey! I guess "what's good about Zurich" is a matter of opinion, but what I like about it (after only living here for a few months) is that it's quiet and peaceful during the day, but has a great nightlife. I also love the area around the lake, with the views of the alps... it really has everything here...

Stevie G, Feb 19, 2010 @ 15:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

What Zurich is really missing (and what Geneva has) is a a number of central parks in the city. A green lung.

The lake is nice, but you can't really sit in the middle of it.

Instead of making the city more green, they are now starting to build highrises...

Together with the traffic-collapse, I really fear that at some point, people will just have "enough" of Zurich and look for greener cities.

What Zurich is really missing (and what Geneva has) is a a number of central parks in the city. A green lung.

Instead of making the city more green, they are now starting to build highrises...

Together with the traffic-collapse, I really fear that at some point, people will just have "enough" of Zurich and look for greener cities.

rainer_d, Feb 20, 2010 @ 01:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

thanks for your replies, guys! i've heard some people say that it's a nice city, so i just wanted to hear some more opinions. you're both bringing up important issues, so thanks for that (although you can sit in a lake if you're in a boat ; )).

/charlotta

thanks for your replies, guys! i've heard some people say that it's a nice city, so i just wanted to hear some more opinions. you're both bringing up important issues, so thanks for that (although you can sit in a lake if you're in a boat ; )).

/charlotta

charlotta, Feb 23, 2010 @ 19:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Feb 20, 10 01:04

Agree in general rainer_d but it's not as bad as all that is it? I mean Zurichhorn is 10mins walk from Bellevue, and Rieterpark is really stunning, allbeit a 5-10 min tram ride from the centre. The new highrises I'm aware of are being built in the industrial qurater, and in the industrial part of that, so not really a prime area for green spaces.

Agree in general rainer_d but it's not as bad as all that is it? I mean Zurichhorn is 10mins walk from Bellevue, and Rieterpark is really stunning, allbeit a 5-10 min tram ride from the centre. The new highrises I'm aware of are being built in the industrial qurater, and in the industrial part of that, so not really a prime area for green spaces.

rich_t, Mar 18, 2010 @ 21:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

there are lot's of expats here and bars/clubs to go to. it's not as boring as geneva. in therms of theatre etc., i'd say switzerland as a whole is pretty much a cultural wasteland, but maybe i'm biased since i've moved from london.

also, there are much fewer french people here. though i couldn't possibly comment as to whether that is a good thing or not. :p

there are lot's of expats here and bars/clubs to go to. it's not as boring as geneva. in therms of theatre etc., i'd say switzerland as a whole is pretty much a cultural wasteland, but maybe i'm biased since i've moved from london.

also, there are much fewer french people here. though i couldn't possibly comment as to whether that is a good thing or not. :p

Phil M, Mar 29, 2010 @ 23:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

I agree with you Phil. -Someone once told me that 'the Swiss are just a bunch of rich farmers..'- unfortunately I tend to agree.

What I miss the most is the casual conversations that develp any place in the UK or (some other locations)..- but here in Zurich everybody keeps themselves to themselves..

Its hard to build a social circle, or have a sense of community in your neighborhood. Exceptions of course exist, I know pockets of them in Kreis 4 or in Wipkingen.

I agree with you Phil. -Someone once told me that 'the Swiss are just a bunch of rich farmers..'- unfortunately I tend to agree.

What I miss the most is the casual conversations that develp any place in the UK or (some other locations)..- but here in Zurich everybody keeps themselves to themselves..

Its hard to build a social circle, or have a sense of community in your neighborhood. Exceptions of course exist, I know pockets of them in Kreis 4 or in Wipkingen.

Jana Cyberia, Mar 30, 2010 @ 09:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

"A bunch of rich farmers" haha that's funny... harsh, but perhaps there is some truth there. I was in London recently, and you do feel that there is a certain kind of festive, openness there, compared to Switzerland.

"A bunch of rich farmers" haha that's funny... harsh, but perhaps there is some truth there. I was in London recently, and you do feel that there is a certain kind of festive, openness there, compared to Switzerland.

Stevie G, Mar 30, 2010 @ 09:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
7 Replies | 3564 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form