Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Site improvement ideas & Bug reports > glocals.com starts tweeting

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
glocals.com starts tweeting

Hi Oded,

Any plans for glocals.com to join Twitter?

Thanks.

David

http://www.monbiot.com/2011/02/17/lumbering-into-the-21st-century/#more-1491

The text you are quoting:

Hi Oded,

Any plans for glocals.com to join Twitter?

Thanks.

David

http://www.monbiot.com/2011/02/17/lumbering-into-the-21st-century/#more-1491

David_LawsonFeb 22, 11 19:39
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

8 Replies | 422 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: glocals.com starts tweeting
Post 1

What would the point be for glocals to be on Twitter?

What would the point be for glocals to be on Twitter?

FerneyL, Feb 22, 11 19:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

There is something you should watch 

There is something you should watch 

waqas s, Feb 22, 11 20:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Knowing the Breaking Glocals News of Things to do such as Apartments For Rent, Jobs Available, Things Happening, Forum posts etc. without filling up email boxes with alerts or the necessity of logging into the site?

glocals.com has always been great at getting rapid answers to straight-forward questions, especially for those fairly new to the area.Twitter would seem offer the potential to enhance that connection. 

Folks moving to this region can initially at times feel isolated.
Would a glocal.com Twitter service go some way to reducing this sense of isolation?  

Content, information and ideas tweeted from the glocal's community could be a real source of power for some members?

Knowing the Breaking Glocals News of Things to do such as Apartments For Rent, Jobs Available, Things Happening, Forum posts etc. without filling up email boxes with alerts or the necessity of logging into the site?

glocals.com has always been great at getting rapid answers to straight-forward questions, especially for those fairly new to the area.Twitter would seem offer the potential to enhance that connection. 

Folks moving to this region can initially at times feel isolated.
Would a glocal.com Twitter service go some way to reducing this sense of isolation?  

Content, information and ideas tweeted from the glocal's community could be a real source of power for some members?

David_Lawson, Feb 22, 11 20:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

It tells users when there are parties, when there are spontaneous meetings and more. I created glocalsgva but haven't tweeted frequently though. I like how it could help consolidate the community. 

It tells users when there are parties, when there are spontaneous meetings and more. I created glocalsgva but haven't tweeted frequently though. I like how it could help consolidate the community. 

Richard A, Feb 22, 11 20:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

David> I get it, but is this broadcasting not easily done via the age-old RSS-feed? I mean, many posts exceed 140 characters, anyway, so you would have to log in to see the rest of the post. That said, it might work in some cases.

David> I get it, but is this broadcasting not easily done via the age-old RSS-feed? I mean, many posts exceed 140 characters, anyway, so you would have to log in to see the rest of the post. That said, it might work in some cases.

FerneyL, Feb 22, 11 20:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Many folks are increasingly using iPhones, Blackberry's etc. We receive the alerts alright by email but logging into the site itself from these devices can be a bit irksome. 

Twitter seems to offer a quick and snappy solution for those, "does anyone know?" type questions that we've all used on glocals.com over the years.

If Richard A's glocalsgva could be used by all, perhaps we already have part of the solution.

<It tells users when there are parties, when there are spontaneous meetings <and more. I created glocalsgva but haven't tweeted frequently though. I like <how it could help consolidate the community. 

Richard A: What would it take for glocals.com members to actively use your glocalsgva account?

Many folks are increasingly using iPhones, Blackberry's etc. We receive the alerts alright by email but logging into the site itself from these devices can be a bit irksome. 

Twitter seems to offer a quick and snappy solution for those, "does anyone know?" type questions that we've all used on glocals.com over the years.

If Richard A's glocalsgva could be used by all, perhaps we already have part of the solution.

<It tells users when there are parties, when there are spontaneous meetings <and more. I created glocalsgva but haven't tweeted frequently though. I like <how it could help consolidate the community. 

Richard A: What would it take for glocals.com members to actively use your glocalsgva account?

David_Lawson, Feb 22, 11 20:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

RSS is not email and does not require an account. 

RSS is not email and does not require an account. 

FerneyL, Feb 22, 11 21:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Point taken. There's probably a place for both RSS and Twitter on glocals.com.

Some differences I see:

- Twitter is a two-way communication tool whereas RSS only really brings information in.

- With Twitter, you can subscribe or "follow" only those Tweets you find on Twitter. With RSS, you'll pretty much have the entire web and glocals.com site.

- Tweets are real-time. RSS tends to lag behind a bit 

Of course, you can combine both worlds and subscribe to Twitter streams as RSS feeds, for better organization instead of just seeing part of the picture. 

Point taken. There's probably a place for both RSS and Twitter on glocals.com.

Some differences I see:

- Twitter is a two-way communication tool whereas RSS only really brings information in.

- With Twitter, you can subscribe or "follow" only those Tweets you find on Twitter. With RSS, you'll pretty much have the entire web and glocals.com site.

- Tweets are real-time. RSS tends to lag behind a bit 

Of course, you can combine both worlds and subscribe to Twitter streams as RSS feeds, for better organization instead of just seeing part of the picture. 

David_Lawson, Feb 22, 11 22:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
8 Replies | 422 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form