Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > People using my parking space without permission - who to call?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
People using my parking space without permission - who to call?

Hi,

My partner and I were required by the Regie to rent a parking space outside of my building for CHF 150 monthly.  This was mandatory -  if we wanted the apartment we had to take the parking space.  I'm not complaining about this, as it is very convenient to have a space right in front of your home. My problem is that sometimes my partner is away and takes the car with him, so the parking space is empty for a few days.  A couple of times I have come home to find cars parked in our spot.  I usually leave them a note saying that the space is private and this seems to solve the problem.

However, this time I've come home for two days in a row to find the same car parked in our spot.  I left a note yesterday, but the same car was there today.  I left a new note, this time saying (in English and in bad French) that if I see the car again, I will call the police. 

I'm aware of the fact that sometimes the parking place is unused for a few days, but nevertheless, I don't feel like subsidizing some idiot's parking.  We will try getting in touch with the Regie tomorrow, but I wanted to know if anyone has had this problem before, and who would be best to call in case it keeps happening.  I feel bad calling the police for something like this (I guess they have more important things to deal with).  Would it be better to contact the transit police (or however the guys who walk around giving people tickets are called)?

Thanks in advance!

Adriana

The text you are quoting:

Hi,

My partner and I were required by the Regie to rent a parking space outside of my building for CHF 150 monthly.  This was mandatory -  if we wanted the apartment we had to take the parking space.  I'm not complaining about this, as it is very convenient to have a space right in front of your home. My problem is that sometimes my partner is away and takes the car with him, so the parking space is empty for a few days.  A couple of times I have come home to find cars parked in our spot.  I usually leave them a note saying that the space is private and this seems to solve the problem.

However, this time I've come home for two days in a row to find the same car parked in our spot.  I left a note yesterday, but the same car was there today.  I left a new note, this time saying (in English and in bad French) that if I see the car again, I will call the police. 

I'm aware of the fact that sometimes the parking place is unused for a few days, but nevertheless, I don't feel like subsidizing some idiot's parking.  We will try getting in touch with the Regie tomorrow, but I wanted to know if anyone has had this problem before, and who would be best to call in case it keeps happening.  I feel bad calling the police for something like this (I guess they have more important things to deal with).  Would it be better to contact the transit police (or however the guys who walk around giving people tickets are called)?

Thanks in advance!

Adriana

Adriana GJan 11, 2012 @ 21:19
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

25 Replies | 4470 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: People using my parking space without permission - who to call?
Post 1

I have exactly the same problem.  The police told me they will not interfere where a car is parked on private property.  

On one occasion I removed the hubcaps and left a note.  Unfortunately he called the police which seemed a bit unfair to me

On other occasion it turned out the concierge was using it.  I threatened  that I would let his tyres down.  The car was moved and he refuses to talk to me which is could - it saves me a bottle of whisky each Christmas

In the light of my experience I would suggest the following options

1. Ask your regie what to do.  You never know , they might be helpful

2. Report the car as strolen to the police you never know it might be an abandoned stolen car

3. Tow it out of your bay in the middle of the night and leave on a public road

4. If it has Swiss plates i think there is a way to get the name and address of the owners - you could ask the police, regie or concierge about this.  Armed with that, you can hae all sorts of fun

I have exactly the same problem.  The police told me they will not interfere where a car is parked on private property.  

On one occasion I removed the hubcaps and left a note.  Unfortunately he called the police which seemed a bit unfair to me

On other occasion it turned out the concierge was using it.  I threatened  that I would let his tyres down.  The car was moved and he refuses to talk to me which is could - it saves me a bottle of whisky each Christmas

2. Report the car as strolen to the police you never know it might be an abandoned stolen car

4. If it has Swiss plates i think there is a way to get the name and address of the owners - you could ask the police, regie or concierge about this.  Armed with that, you can hae all sorts of fun

Paul E, Jan 12, 2012 @ 09:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

I assume the parking spot has a number on it, or a "prive" sign or your number plate sign by it?

If so....Take pictures, and send it to the police, saying the car is parked on YOUR PRIVATE property without consent.

they'll get a parking ticket for between CHF 60 and 120---- it wont be long before they stop.

I assume the parking spot has a number on it, or a "prive" sign or your number plate sign by it?

If so....Take pictures, and send it to the police, saying the car is parked on YOUR PRIVATE property without consent.

they'll get a parking ticket for between CHF 60 and 120---- it wont be long before they stop.

Charlie, Jan 12, 2012 @ 11:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Thanks!  Actually that could be part of the problem - the spot is numbered but it's not marked as "Privé" or with our license plate number.  We will first address the Regie to see if they can do something about this.  In the meantime, if I see the car there again, I'll do as Charlie recommends, take some pictures and send them to the police (maybe with a copy of the lease for the parking space).

Thanks!  Actually that could be part of the problem - the spot is numbered but it's not marked as "Privé" or with our license plate number.  We will first address the Regie to see if they can do something about this.  In the meantime, if I see the car there again, I'll do as Charlie recommends, take some pictures and send them to the police (maybe with a copy of the lease for the parking space).

Adriana G, Jan 12, 2012 @ 11:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Jan 12, 12 11:18

Yep, this is the correct thing to do according to the roving parking municipal authorities I spoke to about it outside my building today.

I would also send a copy of your photo and complaint to the police as well.

Yep, this is the correct thing to do according to the roving parking municipal authorities I spoke to about it outside my building today.

I would also send a copy of your photo and complaint to the police as well.

Translator, Jan 12, 2012 @ 16:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

- and/or get some cheap traffic cones.

- and/or get some cheap traffic cones.

FerneyL, Jan 12, 2012 @ 20:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Hello,

One thing ; 

don t call garage to remove the car cause you will have to pay the garage for that, and it s not cheap.

You can send " une Lettre de dénonciation" to the police, the car owner will receive a lovely letter with a bill of 120 chf ( a urban legend said that you will have a commission for that... please let me know if it s true) but make sure that it worst to do it,one of my friend did this and one day, he found his car with the tyre deflated..( his parking place is marked with his plate number). 

If you have a concierge, go to see him. He might know whose the care belongs to.

Good luck

Hello,

One thing ; 

don t call garage to remove the car cause you will have to pay the garage for that, and it s not cheap.

You can send " une Lettre de dénonciation" to the police, the car owner will receive a lovely letter with a bill of 120 chf ( a urban legend said that you will have a commission for that... please let me know if it s true) but make sure that it worst to do it,one of my friend did this and one day, he found his car with the tyre deflated..( his parking place is marked with his plate number). 

If you have a concierge, go to see him. He might know whose the care belongs to.

Good luck

Tryky, Jan 12, 2012 @ 19:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

I live near the Mosque in Petit Saconnex, and every day, without fail, between 11:30 and 13:00, all available parking spots in front of our building are taken with worshippers cars.

I take pictures of all the cars now. I thought of starting a "youreinmyspot.com" website and posting them there. Maybe here?

Once, I was taking pictures of their cars / license plates as they returned. Oh, they didn't like that one bit! One guy backed out of his spot very quickly, trying to hit me. I put my foot out as a buffer. I broke his bumper or light, but he didn't notice. Serves him right, though.

I live near the Mosque in Petit Saconnex, and every day, without fail, between 11:30 and 13:00, all available parking spots in front of our building are taken with worshippers cars.

I take pictures of all the cars now. I thought of starting a "youreinmyspot.com" website and posting them there. Maybe here?

Once, I was taking pictures of their cars / license plates as they returned. Oh, they didn't like that one bit! One guy backed out of his spot very quickly, trying to hit me. I put my foot out as a buffer. I broke his bumper or light, but he didn't notice. Serves him right, though.

Zonker, Jan 12, 2012 @ 21:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

It seems Skynet has sent its first operative..

It seems Skynet has sent its first operative..

FerneyL, Jan 12, 2012 @ 21:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Parked cars have a tendency to get 'keyed' , mirrors or windscreens smashed - just a hint if the reasonable methods do not solve the problem Wink

Parked cars have a tendency to get 'keyed' , mirrors or windscreens smashed - just a hint if the reasonable methods do not solve the problem Wink

keith p, Jan 13, 2012 @ 10:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Jan 13, 12 10:27

Let me guess? You never owned a car.

FerneyL, Jan 13, 2012 @ 11:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Contacting the Regie is obviously the first step.  

I also wonder if you might try to work out a mutually agreeable solution.  Let the car park there, but for a fee?   For this you'd obviously have to find out the owner of the car to talk about an arrangement.    Or, if the person lives there, you can always draw up an invoice for the parking and mail it to them, registered, with a note that you have no problem with them parking there if they subsidize the fee you pay for the spot...

Contacting the Regie is obviously the first step.  

I also wonder if you might try to work out a mutually agreeable solution.  Let the car park there, but for a fee?   For this you'd obviously have to find out the owner of the car to talk about an arrangement.    Or, if the person lives there, you can always draw up an invoice for the parking and mail it to them, registered, with a note that you have no problem with them parking there if they subsidize the fee you pay for the spot...

Michelle W, Jan 13, 2012 @ 13:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Jan 13, 12 11:29

I have owned a car - and suffered various pieces of minor damage which you cannot blame anyone simply because it happened in the middle of the night

I also have had the problem with people using the parking space despite being clearly marked private and with the reg - I left a note on the windscreen and it still happened for a few days - I then left a more strongly worded note and it did the trick

to be honest if that 2nd note had not worked - I would have taken the law into my own hands and damaged their car

I have owned a car - and suffered various pieces of minor damage which you cannot blame anyone simply because it happened in the middle of the night

I also have had the problem with people using the parking space despite being clearly marked private and with the reg - I left a note on the windscreen and it still happened for a few days - I then left a more strongly worded note and it did the trick

to be honest if that 2nd note had not worked - I would have taken the law into my own hands and damaged their car

keith p, Jan 13, 2012 @ 13:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Jan 12, 12 09:42

If the police says they will not interfere where a car is parked on private property, do they imply by the same logic that people can take whatever means to protect private property from being illegally "invaded"?

I have heard Swiss Police is imcompetent, but will never image the bottom of their imcompetence.

If the police says they will not interfere where a car is parked on private property, do they imply by the same logic that people can take whatever means to protect private property from being illegally "invaded"?

I have heard Swiss Police is imcompetent, but will never image the bottom of their imcompetence.

Xinyi L, Jan 13, 2012 @ 14:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

haha if he do it one more time, or others attempt, this might be a good idea; 

haha if he do it one more time, or others attempt, this might be a good idea; 

Helena Droite, Jan 13, 2012 @ 15:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

http://swns.com/mayor-runs-over-illegally-parked-car-in-tank-021245.html

an obvious link

http://swns.com/mayor-runs-over-illegally-parked-car-in-tank-021245.html

an obvious link

keith p, Jan 13, 2012 @ 17:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Hi Adriana, u have been suggested with too many ideas as I can see....we must find a solution to solve the problem NOT create one for ourselves. By being destructive and showing anger is not wise...let stories be fun...the easiest way and a long term solution is simple with one time investment. Invest CHF 100/- get 4  special parking clamps with small poles and a No Parking board; screw them on each corner (inside) of your parking space (on one of the pole, fix this no parking board)...buy a chain and one lock. Problem solved.  ‘Now chain it; lock it; key in ur pocket’!! Come home anytime...ur parking is there for you..u dont have to move the poles or chain...let them be there 24/7...simple...why fight and crib...save ur time n energy..for good moments...hope this will help...cheers!!  

Hi Adriana, u have been suggested with too many ideas as I can see....we must find a solution to solve the problem NOT create one for ourselves. By being destructive and showing anger is not wise...let stories be fun...the easiest way and a long term solution is simple with one time investment. Invest CHF 100/- get 4  special parking clamps with small poles and a No Parking board; screw them on each corner (inside) of your parking space (on one of the pole, fix this no parking board)...buy a chain and one lock. Problem solved.  ‘Now chain it; lock it; key in ur pocket’!! Come home anytime...ur parking is there for you..u dont have to move the poles or chain...let them be there 24/7...simple...why fight and crib...save ur time n energy..for good moments...hope this will help...cheers!!  

Poppy Pandher, Jan 13, 2012 @ 17:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

Good luck explaining the holes in the road ;)

Good luck explaining the holes in the road ;)

FerneyL, Jan 13, 2012 @ 20:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

Hi FerneyL,

These are special clamps u can hammer 1.5 inch screw, they can hold small poles in all weather conditions...when u leave ur parking for good...fill the holes with some gravel with dark cement...all back to normal. Cheers!! 

Hi FerneyL,

These are special clamps u can hammer 1.5 inch screw, they can hold small poles in all weather conditions...when u leave ur parking for good...fill the holes with some gravel with dark cement...all back to normal. Cheers!! 

Poppy Pandher, Jan 14, 2012 @ 12:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

Thanks, but I don't think my Regie will be too amused about us installing poles and a lock in the parking spot!

After my second note (in which I threatened to call the police), I haven't seen the car for a couple of days, so I think (hope) it worked. If I see a car again I'll take pictures and call the police.  In the meantime we'll try to get the regie to mark the spot as private (or to allow us to do that).  Thanks to everybody for the ideas!

Thanks, but I don't think my Regie will be too amused about us installing poles and a lock in the parking spot!

After my second note (in which I threatened to call the police), I haven't seen the car for a couple of days, so I think (hope) it worked. If I see a car again I'll take pictures and call the police.  In the meantime we'll try to get the regie to mark the spot as private (or to allow us to do that).  Thanks to everybody for the ideas!

Adriana G, Jan 14, 2012 @ 13:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

Jan 13, 12 10:27

I would refrain from doing this as some other Swiss person is often watching from the windows....Tongue out

Take pictures, send them to the police and regie.

I would refrain from doing this as some other Swiss person is often watching from the windows....Tongue out

Take pictures, send them to the police and regie.

Translator, Jan 14, 2012 @ 15:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

Well, I would refrain from doing that because, while the other person might be an ignorant asshole, this will make you a criminal asshole. Small, but significant, difference Wink

Well, I would refrain from doing that because, while the other person might be an ignorant asshole, this will make you a criminal asshole. Small, but significant, difference Wink

rmike, Jan 15, 2012 @ 22:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

Sadly, uncivilized people like that are very common, at both sides of the border.

The best way to solve the problem is to physically block the access to the parking spot via poles and chain or a barrière rabattable.  Ask your Régie about installing it.

To know name and address of the asshole who stole your parking spot, send a SMS to 939 with the license plate - e.g. GE654321.  It works for all Swiss plates (unless the asshole opted-out).

Sadly, uncivilized people like that are very common, at both sides of the border.

The best way to solve the problem is to physically block the access to the parking spot via poles and chain or a barrière rabattable.  Ask your Régie about installing it.

To know name and address of the asshole who stole your parking spot, send a SMS to 939 with the license plate - e.g. GE654321.  It works for all Swiss plates (unless the asshole opted-out).

TheOmegaMan, Jan 16, 2012 @ 19:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

Normally If you tell the police that there is a car parked illegally in your spot, they tow it - it happened to a friend of mine, he left his car on private property, in someone's spot for just over 3 hours, when he got back car was gone!

Normally if you call the police for an illegally parked car, saying you can't park in your spot they will come and remove it.

Normally If you tell the police that there is a car parked illegally in your spot, they tow it - it happened to a friend of mine, he left his car on private property, in someone's spot for just over 3 hours, when he got back car was gone!

Normally if you call the police for an illegally parked car, saying you can't park in your spot they will come and remove it.

DJ_Symcard, Jan 17, 2012 @ 00:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24

You can also call the police municipal before 7pm they deal with this sort of thing

You can also call the police municipal before 7pm they deal with this sort of thing

DJ_Symcard, Jan 17, 2012 @ 00:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25

Hi, I'm posting again in this old thread because I have some new information, thanks to the usual uncivilized moron parking in my private spot.

You can call the Police Cantonale at 022 4278111 to have the offending vehicle towed, at the owner's expense (about 300 CHF). You need to be present and show the rent contract of the parking spot to the cops. They will try to notify the offender first.

Note that as a private citizen you can't get the name of the owner of a license plate anymore, and the SMS 939 has been discontinued.

Hi, I'm posting again in this old thread because I have some new information, thanks to the usual uncivilized moron parking in my private spot.

You can call the Police Cantonale at 022 4278111 to have the offending vehicle towed, at the owner's expense (about 300 CHF). You need to be present and show the rent contract of the parking spot to the cops. They will try to notify the offender first.

Note that as a private citizen you can't get the name of the owner of a license plate anymore, and the SMS 939 has been discontinued.

TheOmegaMan, Apr 24, 2021 @ 11:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
25 Replies | 4470 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form